View Single Post
Old 13-04-2020, 06:44 PM
Lorelyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
If you really believe that thoughts and memory originate in the physical brain then there is little to be said. Of course, this is what the textbooks say, but the textbooks are written by people who consider a human being to be just the physical body. Orthodox science is really quite ignorant.

Peace

I think it knows it's ignorant which is why it keeps looking, researching. It knows it hasn't the answers yet. But you can be sure if the collective effort of science which must add up to many millennias-worth of research hasn't the answer then the sum total of gurus and philosophers on the world are as ignorant. I mentioned textbooks because the notion in question was so elementary that every textbook would have it in the intro - the poster I was addressing seemed reluctant to accept it. Most books (not the populist ones but those for a more advanced researcher) acknowledge that the human is far more than just a physical body!

No one else here has ventured how thinking comes into being or how consciousness is created with any rigour.

Don't forget - ignorant though science may be in many ways it has done an enormous amount to alleviate mental and physical distress to allow ordinary humans in a state of dis-ease to live reasonably fulfilled lives....a darned sight more than most religious and "spiritual" preachings have.

pax tecum etiam semper.