View Single Post
Old 05-01-2019, 01:30 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBe
Thankyou for the lengthy reply.

I wrote quite a lengthy response, in return, but my phone went flat and I lost it. Little annoying..

I agree with most of what your sharing.

I mostly have an open mind, intuitive listening approach to my bodies needs. Food fits into that as well. I consider things like animal welfare and how things are grown. I also prefer seasonal produce if it’s available. I’m more interested in the quality and nutritional value, according to my bodies needs where I am in my own age/stage lifestyle.

I’m currently eating vegetarian. I haven’t had meat in months but my body feels ok right now in relation to the balance and movements it’s doing. I’m educated in how to eat more consciously aware of complete proteins, when eating like this, so my diets inclusive of lots of nuts, legumes, fruit and veg.

As I mentioned, I’m concerned about clean, nutrient dense, alive foods. I just feel they feed my body with more nutrients and energy, as well as keeping my physical machine in good working order.

I’ve been curious of late about ISO whey products. Do you know about them? I’m looking at supportive foods to support my hormonal/collagen changes in this stage of my life. I’ve read that bone broth maybe the way to go for this. I’m looking more closely at my bones and skin right now, through both of these changes. If you have any good advice I’m interested to hear thanks Gem.

Hi.

Whey ISO, I think means whey protein isolate. Because it is an 'isolate' (which basically means the lactose and fat is removed by additional processing) it is absorbed very quickly into the body, which suits lactose intolerant strength athletes who need a boost from heavy training. I take a whey protein concentrate, which is slightly slower absorbing than an isolate, but basically the same thing - top quality protein with a complete amino acid profile. You don't need an isolate (unless you are lactose intolerant) and whey concentrate is cheaper.

As always, if you can get enough protein from whole food, look into that first before considering a protein supplement, and in all cases, without exception, most of your protein needs should come from whole food. The problem with vege protein is, most veges do not contain a complete amino acid profile, and the protein they do contain is not absorbed by the body as well as animal product protein is. Hence, protein supplementation could be a good idea for many vegetarians.

Bone broth contains collagen, however, the body manufactures collagen from proteins. Even if you eat collagen, the collagen protein chain is broken into amino acids in the digestive system so the body can absorb them, and the body would 'rebuild' collagen according to its needs. The issue then becomes, nutrition and metabolism is a synergy - no one nutrient works in isolation - all the nutrients work together to make the metabolism work. For example, the body struggles to produce adequate collagen when it's low on vitamins - so take bone broth in a vege soup (how healthy and comforting is that), but there is absolutely no point in taking a collagen supplement, and there is no point taking any supplements unless your real food diet is well balanced first. In short - drinking bone broth does not 'increase collagen' (but that soup does sound darn good).

For hormone balance it is important to eat enough fat including omega 3, and the research I have read says vege fat from olive oil, nuts, avocado etc are all very good. Omega 3 is tricky for vegetarians... basically the body doesn't process plant ALA omegas well at all. Fat is also needed for good skin and healthy bones... Indeed, fat is essential for the entire nutrient/metabolic process (yet another reason why frugarianism is plain wrong!).

This is my opinion based on what you have said. Keep the 'eat everything' philosophy and don't restrict to an a rule like (... "but I am a vegetarian"). It is only my opinion, and it is not a recommendation or even a suggestion, because the most important thing is, you are the boss of you! The reason I say this is because you raised protein, hormones, skin health and hair, and bone health. I think it is good to reduce or even eliminate heavy red meat and go for the vege nutrition in a big way, but I also feel that including a fillet of salmon into the mix would be a lighter way to give you a boost in quality protein and healthy fat along with high calcium too address the issues you have raised, reduce the need you may have for protein supplement, and getting higher protein along with a complete vitamin and mineral profile will enable the body to produce enough collagen.

On the bone broth this article: https://nutritionstudies.org/drinkin...or-just-a-fad/