View Single Post
Old 07-08-2018, 04:37 PM
Experiencer
Have you found therapy helpful?

While I'm here (and only in the habit of posting every 4–6 months), I wanted to ask if anyone here had found therapy helpful in getting over their Twin Flame.

I've always been resistant to going to a therapist for this issue, because after talking to so many friends about what my experience was with Twin Flame (I absolutely DO NOT use that phrase, though) and the nature of our connection, I found out that this outside the typical realm of human experience, and therefore outside the parameters of any one-size-fits-all psychological solution. Most of the advice my friends have given me about this over the years has fallen flat, no matter how much they want to help. The reason? The response is typically, "I wish I knew how to help, but I've just never had/felt anything like that in my life." They acknowledge that they don't have the tools or the life experience to offer any insight.

And I'm concerned that a therapist would assign a term like limerance or infatuation or obsession or any number of psychological reasons for me feeling this lingering attachment, without truly understanding the extent of my conversations with TF, what he's said and admitted to me, what happened back when we were in the "bubble love" phase, etc.... I mean, do I print out hundreds of pages of WhatsApp/Facebook Messenger conversations and have the therapist read them for evidence that this was not a one-sided delusion? Do I give them a copy of the album he wrote about me and the lyric where he describes lying over the floor over [my name], "drowning in the sea," "wasting away," "waiting for me no matter what," "still bleeding... asking me to just come back and kill him?" I doubt that would factor into any therapist's methodology, and they write off such "evidence" as the patient's misguided need for validation. But without it, I don't think a therapist could get a glimpse into the intensity of what I've had to deal with. I guess I'm distrustful because no one I've found outside of this forum, or Quora, or various Youtube channels, has been able to relate to what I experienced, so I'm distrustful of a therapist being able to relate. However, I think it could be useful to pick up some psychological tools for distancing myself from the feelings of rejection, finding ways to show myself self-love, learning methods for embracing unconditional love and releasing criticism of my real-life partner, leaving the past in the past, etc.

Who here has had luck in therapy, and what did you find most beneficial for managing this TF "pull?" While I accept now that TF and I will probably never talk again, I've yet to make much progress in dislodging myself from the energetic sense of his presence, and it serves as a frequent reminder of things unresolved. (Besides so many other signs and synchs, the numbers, which I try to ignore, have been escalating in the past couple of weeks--seemingly in tandem with a heightened "pull." I've been getting numerous 1111s every day, which used to be very rare.) I need to try something additional because my "closure letter" was seemingly inadequate. If the therapist is convinced that this is nothing but blind obsession--in idea that grates on me--but approaching it that way ultimately helps me process unhealed heartbreak and feelings of abandonment, then I guess I can accept that humbly.

I realize most of you will probably say meditation. Ha. I really need to get into that if I can just teach my mind to settle down enough.