View Single Post
Old 30-03-2011, 11:40 PM
Experiencer
Location: Adelaide, Australia - but born and bred in Ireland:)
I am from Ireland and I have seen various different types of fae.

According to Irish legend, the fair folk inhabited Ireland before humans and for awhile with humans. Many of our mythical heros such as Cuchulain and Fionn Mac Cumhail are said to have been of the fae. They looked much like humans, but were magical.

With the arrival of humans to Ireland, the races sometimes intermarried, but eventually the fair folk, not liking the changes in the world and the new religion (christianity) retreated in to places like the Hill of Tara, which is an entry point to the world of the fae (Tir na Nog - the land of the young)
Along with the humanoid type, there are many types of fae, many that are shape shifters. Some are benevolent, some seem good to start with but are quick to anger, so are just out to cause trouble. Generally, they keep to themselves, only acting in anger if some of there land is interfered with - there are stories of people building houses on faery forts, but abandoning the build because of endless "accidents" cause by the fae.

I have encoutered the good and the bad types, though only once have I had any trouble with them. I also married into a family that has a Bean Sidhe.

Faery are not just a Celtic legend, they exist everywhere, just under different names. I am only familiar with the Irish ones though as it is my heritage.