View Single Post
Old 04-10-2015, 01:58 AM
Knower

Hey Cherry, so many 'scapegoats' & family black sheep here!

The biggest lesson that I learnt when dealing with my family (& others), was to learn how to let go off my passive/aggressive personality for assertiveness.
Holding a mirror up to another is quite powerful. Others can be so unaware of their own entrenched behaviour, so when you point out the way they're treating you & say things like "Why are you angry?" "Why are you being so critical?" "Why do you treat me so poorly in front of others?" for example, it tends to take the wind out of most peoples sails.
When we accept **** from others without challenge, (in my case, to avoid exploding in a rage) it can become 'normal' behaviour. A common reaction was "You never complained before?"
It took me many years to discard the labels that my family pinned on me. When I stood up to their abuse (my childhood is not a happy story) & refused to be treated less than an equal, they discarded me (Rejecting 'Jesus' didn't help) As sad as that may be, it was their choice, not mine.
My story is an extreme & I doubt that standing up to your family will result in exclusion.
Learn to be assertive & life becomes that bit easier.

Good luck : )