View Single Post
Old 26-12-2014, 02:53 AM
Super Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal
Hi Nalini, thanks for the kind words and for sharing your about situation.

I haven't been able to give up milk and eggs. I'm still struggling with what and how to cook food without flesh and blood being the main course, as it had been daily for the past 49 years. For now at least I can still have many of the things I've always enjoyed (minus flesh where applicable) even though they may not be the healthiest, like pizza, lasagna, ice cream, cheese, cereal, waffles and pancakes, cake, etc.

Eventually I may for give up the lacto ovo part for ethical reasons but for now I'm content with no longer eating anybody's flesh and blood. I just can't continue conditionally loving my animals or certain species while eating others. I had to make a stand on a commitment to unconditional love for all animals in that respect. Whether or not that makes me more spiritually connected or anything else like that is not the point. It's just what I felt I needed to do at this point in my life. I am ok that my wife or any other people eat flesh. It's just something I needed to do, as long as I can remain healthy.

I am grateful for all the loving people that have come to this thread to show there support and offer advice.

Thanks again for your support and have a wonderful day!

Cal

All my best wishes to you Cal. It's really great you have decided to go with your innermost feelings!
Eating nut roasts and bean/nut burgers, Falafel mixes, lentil roasts etc is good protein. And these are easily found even in many supermarkets. Dried beans, peas and pulses, (and for quick cooking -even the canned variety) -again easy to find in any supermarket and easy to cook. Throw in a few caramelised onions herbs black pepper and garlic....wow!
Tofu is good, but a bit bland on its own. Smoked Tofu is tastier. It's good if you can get one with calcium.
Protein isn't too much of a challenge.

But four things can be low in a vegan diet:
Calcium in enough amounts
Omega 3
Vitamin D
and B12.
So you need to find out what the requirements are for you and your age & activity levels etc, then do a little maths to find out what supplements you will need to take regularly. It just means a little bit of figuring out at first, then when you get used to it you won't have to do much thinking about it any more.

By the way there is a good vegan Omega 3 supplement. It is called Opti-3