Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Nature (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   A bee at work! (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=53576)

LPC 02-07-2013 08:08 PM

A bee at work!

1 Attachment(s)
There was a time when a bee busy at work on a flower would be nothing special, but in France, as in most of the world, they have become rarer and rarer. This year they have started appearing in our garden in fair numbers, so to celebrate I attach a photo!

Gracey 02-07-2013 08:42 PM

wonderful photo. sad they are disappearing.

just 6 years ago, our area had tons of bees, these days, not so much.

here is a pic i got this spring of a bee in the yard.

Tobi 02-07-2013 10:53 PM

I love your photo of the bee, LPC.
I have noticed there have been rather more Bumble bees than Honey bees around this year in UK. I have a huge flowering shrub, that flowers from mid-May, right though until the last few days. In years gone by there were many different species of wild bees on this, but this year, mostly Bumble bees (bless them. They do a fine job, and are such friendly Souls.)
But I have noticed the absence of the Honey bee, and many of the smaller wild species.
I let daisies over-run my "lawn" to encourage them, but every morning when I went out, there were few bees. The "lawn" looked like there had been a snowstorm!

Belle 03-07-2013 04:40 AM

Love our bees, thanks for the pictures.

I've had a few in the garden, I grow bee-friendly plants and it's such a delight to see them gently buzzing and working happily.

Berry 18-07-2013 04:36 PM

Beautiful pictures! We had a colony of bumble bees that lived under our walkway. I was saddened to see them die out a few years ago. They came back this year and I'm so glad but I have no idea where their new colony is.

lovingkind 20-07-2013 01:16 AM

Bees are natures pollinators. I have seen some working in the garden this year. I always send them love and thanks.

norseman 20-07-2013 08:03 AM

Bees - Mother Nature's warriors ! :smile:

in progress 20-07-2013 08:52 AM

I can't say I've been experiencing a shortage of bees either. I switched out an ornamental grass planting in my yard for a native prairie planting about five years ago and the difference in insect visitors was dramatically increased. It was amazing! And now more dragonfly activity as a result of that. It made me realize how sterile the cultivated varieties are in comparison to natives. The native bee balm is blooming right now and things are "buzzing"!

knightofalbion 20-07-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by in progress
I can't say I've been experiencing a shortage of bees either. I switched out an ornamental grass planting in my yard for a native prairie planting about five years ago and the difference in insect visitors was dramatically increased. It was amazing! And now more dragonfly activity as a result of that. It made me realize how sterile the cultivated varieties are in comparison to natives. The native bee balm is blooming right now and things are "buzzing"!

That's the thing isn't it. Now we live in a 'global village' we import all these fancy plants, which may look wonderful but are totally alien to native species.
It's up to Governments to tackle the issue of pesticides which appears to be largely to blame for the decline in bee numbers, but we can help bees and other native species by growing native plants and flowers, and leaving areas of 'wilderness' in our gardens.
The return of the old English' cottage gardens' that's what we need!

knightofalbion 20-07-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norseman
Bees - Mother Nature's warriors ! :smile:

I wouldn't say that, Norsey. They are gentle creatures, totally dedicated to their hive service. They only sting as a last resort.
Many a time I've handled a bee, wouldn't try it with a wasp though. Now...