Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Nature (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   Save Our Bees (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=37930)

amy green 27-06-2012 08:47 AM

Save Our Bees

Friends Of The Earth are campaigning to save our British bees.* As you may well know, their survival is paramount to the pollination of much that we take for granted food-wise. Click on "sign the bee petition". Thanks.

http://www.foe.co.uk/what_we_do/the_...tml#thankyou=0

* For a worrying development in the international bee research, see my post below, i.e. #3

Sybilline 27-06-2012 09:11 AM

Oh no I need a postcode... I'm not from the UK and my bf is sleeping at home lol! >.< I'll get one from him...

amy green 27-06-2012 09:48 AM

Incidentally for those who are concerned about the survival of bees generally (not just here in U.K) there is a worrying and sinister development occurring. You may well know that the bee population is declining and that there is research into the causes of this. Monsanto - the multinational bio-tech company (i.e. the largest producers of GM crops) have now bought up a leading bee research company since they were instigated in bee depletion. We should all be concerned by this since the role of the bee population is crucial to our food supply and Monsanto obviously have a vested interest in the matter.

http://naturalsociety.com/monsanto-b...research-firm/

Sybilline 27-06-2012 09:50 AM

I'll do it once I grab a postcode >.<

amy green 27-06-2012 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sybilline
I'll do it once I grab a postcode >.<

Thanks for the update Sybilline (and for persisting)! :smile:

Arcturus 27-06-2012 12:49 PM

i've signed and posted it on fb but i must confess to being a littl;e suspect of what a "national plan" to save the bees would entail. generally them in charge are with the same kind of scientists that have created this problem and one wonders if their methods would further destroy the bee population. rudolph steiner spoke of the coming dangers to the bees in the 1920's. i recently heard that some mite or similar had been found as a cause for concern and that treatment involved wiping them out, no doubt with some sort of anti-biotic or poisnous fuming process...duh

BlueSky 27-06-2012 01:00 PM

I signed that a little while ago. Good idea raising awareness to it here Amy....

Thanks, James

amy green 27-06-2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by necta3
i've signed and posted it on fb but i must confess to being a littl;e suspect of what a "national plan" to save the bees would entail. generally them in charge are with the same kind of scientists that have created this problem and one wonders if their methods would further destroy the bee population. rudolph steiner spoke of the coming dangers to the bees in the 1920's. i recently heard that some mite or similar had been found as a cause for concern and that treatment involved wiping them out, no doubt with some sort of anti-biotic or poisnous fuming process...duh

Thanks for posting this on your fb and I understand your reservations necta I somehow doubt that it would be the same kind/group of scientists that caused the problem though that Friends Of The Earth were involved with....they're a savvy bunch. (I used to co-ordinate a local FoE group). Anyway something is better than nothing I guess! In the absence of anything better....

Yeah, I remember hearing about a mite causing their decline. Also that this was not the only reason though....e.g. also there's a pesticides link....enter GM technology (ugh!) - see above post #3.

Arcturus 28-06-2012 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amy green
Thanks for posting this on your fb and I understand your reservations necta I somehow doubt that it would be the same kind/group of scientists that caused the problem though that Friends Of The Earth were involved with....they're a savvy bunch. (I used to co-ordinate a local FoE group). Anyway something is better than nothing I guess! In the absence of anything better....

Yeah, I remember hearing about a mite causing their decline. Also that this was not the only reason though....e.g. also there's a pesticides link....enter GM technology (ugh!) - see above post #3.

i agree that friends of the earth are savvy..

.But the Government needs to act too. Please adopt a National Bee Action Plan to ensure that the way we farm our food and plan our towns and cities gets bees back on track. The Government must also have the right experts in place to protect our most threatened species.

i suppose it depends on what the right experts means...no doubt f o e would have a better idea for that. i don't think that the mite is the problem...but decreased immunity caused by such factors as you point to like pestcides and gmo's. stopping pesticides is gonna be a tricky one but i reckon sooner or later (later more likely) it will have to happen.

LPC 28-06-2012 05:23 PM

Good thread, Amy! Protecting bees is particularly important, as without their help in pollination the whole ecological process is at risk. Failed crops, etc.