Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Religion (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Is there such a thing as an adversary? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=147774)

Honza 28-11-2023 09:33 AM

Is there such a thing as an adversary?

Call it what you wish, such as the darkness, the matrix, the devil, the ego, the mind, the evil etc. There are lots of theories about how we as people face a terrible adversary. Someone or something that is trying to destroy us.

In my opinion there is one thing which all those adversaries listed above have in common - they all spell death and they are all nearing perfection in their subversiveness. Is there such a thing as PERFECT PRIDE? It seems that the challenges facing us are perfect in themselves.

Glenda 28-11-2023 10:52 AM

perfect pride would be the suitable for you.

Honza 28-11-2023 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glenda
perfect pride would be the suitable for you.

How do you mean? Perfect Pride is the main adversary?

Miss Hepburn 18-01-2024 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honza
How do you mean? Perfect Pride is the main adversary?

Pride, anger, jealousy, indignation, lust, greed --you name it...they are the enemy, imo (adversary) ...and the tricks in
the devil's toolbox according to CS Lewis' book ''The Screwtape Letters'' ---odd name, Uncle Screwtape writes letters
to his nephew...Uncle Screwtape is the devil or a demon, I forget.

Redchic12 20-01-2024 07:35 AM

Being proud of something that you have achieved or an obstacle that you have overcome is not a “bad” pride.

As in all things, nothing is ever black or white ie yes or no. There is always a grey area.

Perhaps it’s the degree of pride that you have and how it affects you and others that is more the problem. Imo

FallingLeaves 20-01-2024 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redchic12
As in all things, nothing is ever black or white ie yes or no. There is always a grey area.

maybe so but that doesn't change the fact that i'm so used to being punished harshly for being prideful that i have to run the other way, fast, if I even see it on the horizon... lol

Miss Hepburn 20-01-2024 02:12 PM

Quote:

Being proud of something that you have achieved or an obstacle that you have overcome is not a “bad” pride.

I have written about this often here...you are exactly correct.:smile:

Molearner 21-01-2024 04:52 PM

Quote:

Imo

Redchic12,

For a long time I have consciously tried to avoid using ‘pride’ or ‘proud’……instead thinking it is more truthful to say that I am thankful……

sky 21-01-2024 05:47 PM

Quote:

Agree, pride can be a virtue.... Aristotle described pride as the 'crown of the virtues' .

Molearner 21-01-2024 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sky
Agree, pride can be a virtue.... Aristotle described pride as the 'crown of the virtues' .

Faulty reasoning that it is dependent on you being your own judge of your worthiness……