Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Animals (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   The Snow Leopard Is no Longer 'Endangered' (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=116972)

Lepus 17-09-2017 10:55 PM

The Snow Leopard Is no Longer 'Endangered'

Hello,

Good news! The snow leopards population has reached over 4,000 - their status has been reclassified into the vulnerable category. They were in the endangered status for the past 40+ years. In order for an animal to remain endangered their numbers must be around 2,500 or less. These snow leopards still remain at risk of extinction if people continue destroying their habitat and killing them for their coat (poachers).

Quote:

The Internation Union for Conservation of Nature said on Thursday that new data taken through 2016 prompted the reclassification of the snow leopard from the endangered list to the vulnerable category. The difference means, simply, that the animals have gone from "very high risk" to "high risk" of extinction in the wild.

The Snow Leopard Is No Longer Endangered. It's Still At Risk.

Lepus

Lucky 1 18-09-2017 04:06 AM

Yes.. great news!.....as a member of felus panthera....the leopard is one of the "big five" cats in that genus and is one of the most adaptable range wise of all the big cats....

Its range has run as far from Africa as far Asia and Russia all the way to Java.....and leopard numbers are not doing too bad at all compared to the other big cats....especially the cheetah which frankly is struggling to make it....

The sub-species known as the snow leopard though has done much more poorly than its tawney and spotted relative loosing range and numbers for many reasons including illegal poaching...

Its happy making for me to know that its numbers have increased by big bounds ...mostly due to greatly inhanced management by conservation groups and governments in the snow leopards range stepping up and doing a better job protecting both there habitat and the animals themselves. ..

As a hunter and conservationist myself. ....this is very gratifying to hear!!!

Clover 18-09-2017 10:14 PM

The kittens are so adorable.

They are a very striking animal. I have seem them in zoo's unfortunately.

Happy vibes for the Snow Leopard, an amazing animal, indeed.

Nature Grows 19-09-2017 01:42 AM

Thats good to hear, there a cool animal.. i also like the black panthers and other big cats too, lions and stuff.

Makoiyi 19-09-2017 05:37 AM

That's great news to hear, I was honoured to come across one once many years ago in the wild it was an amazing and beautiful creature. Long may their numbers keep growing.

Chrysalis 19-09-2017 05:43 AM

I love snow leopards! I'm so glad to know that their numbers have increased. About a year ago I saw a show about them. The researchers set up cameras in a female's territory so they were able to track her two kittens until they grew up and got their own territory.

Tobi 20-09-2017 12:10 AM

That's very good news Lepus. It goes to show, if we are mindful of creatures who need our support....or need to be left alone by humans....we can change bad situations.

girlsearching 09-09-2022 04:57 AM

That really is fantastic news for the Snow Leopard. They need to be free to roam in their home without poachers trying to get them.