Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Quotes & Stories (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Quotes from the Masters and Teachers (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=48806)

Ummon 21-11-2014 03:41 PM

Thank you very much for this thread

ajay00 01-12-2014 11:24 AM

A desire arises in the mind. It is satisfied immediately another comes. In the interval which separates two desires a perfect calm reigns in the mind. It is at this moment freed from all thought, love or hate. Complete peace equally reigns between two mental waves. -- Swami Sivananda

Happiness is self-generated as the mind becomes still. As we become involved with the desires of the world, we lose that centering, that stillness. -- Zen Master Rama

Miss Hepburn 05-12-2014 03:20 PM

You complain because the same trials are constantly returning.
But look here, what have you to fear?
Are you afraid of the divine craftsman who wants to perfect His masterpiece in this way?
Would you like to come from the hands of such a magnificent Artist as a mere sketch and no more?

- Saint Padre Pio

:smile:

Miss Hepburn 06-12-2014 01:57 PM

Establish in yourself a temple of beauty
and peace, there you will find God, on
the altar of your soul.

-Paramahansa Yogananda
1893-1952

Riverman 12-12-2014 10:59 AM

We are what we think.
All that we are arises with our thoughts.
With our thoughts we make the world.
Speak or act with an impure mind
And trouble will follow you
As the wheel follows the ox that draws the cart.

We are what we think.
All that we are arises with our thoughts.
With our thoughts we make the world.
Speak or act with a pure mind
And happiness will follow you
As your shadow, unshakable.

The Buddha

God-Like 12-12-2014 11:12 AM

Saw this little gem yesterday ..

He who knows not, and knows not that he knows not, is a fool - shun him.
He who knows not, and knows that he knows not, is willing - teach him.
He who knows, and knows not that he knows, is asleep - wake him.
He who knows, and knows that he knows, is a wise man - follow him."

- ancient proverb

Miss Hepburn 20-12-2014 06:00 PM

Miriam Knight, founder of New Conscious Awakenings...online...

"The universe organizes itself to help those who surrender to it."

KevinO 20-12-2014 10:28 PM

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

Mark Twain

Miss Hepburn 21-12-2014 11:22 PM

"If you can see God in everything, then God will look back
at you through everything."

-Ernest Holmes

TaoSandwich 24-12-2014 03:58 PM

"What about when they say the sound of the rain has given you a sermon? Is that correct? I do not agree; the sound of the rain is YOU giving a sermon."

-Zen Master Foyan

Miss Hepburn 04-01-2015 02:33 PM

"...our only limit is our capacity to receive."

--Emmit Fox

Miss Hepburn 04-01-2015 04:19 PM

The ego cannot survive without judgment.

--A Course In Miracles
or ACIM

durgaa 08-01-2015 01:47 PM

A few quotes by the Great Yogi Sri Aurobindo:

Quote:

Hidden nature is secret God.
Sri Aurobindo

Quote:

Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation.

Sri Aurobindo

Quote:

Fear not to be nothing that thou mayst be all.

Sri Aurobindo

Quote:

Remember that you are at an exceptional hour in a unique epoch, that you have this great happiness, this invaluable privilege, of being present at the birth of a new world.

Sri Aurobindo

durgaa 08-01-2015 01:59 PM

Some quotes by His Twinsoul partner:

Quote:

Do not pretend - be. Do not promise - act. Do not dream - realize.
by Mirra Alfassa

Quote:

Humanity is not the last rung of the terrestrial creation. Evolution continues and man will be surpassed. It is for each individual to know whether he wants to participate in the advent of this new species.

Mirra Alfassa

Quote:

Whenever in your life, you meet with a hardship, take it as a boon from the Divine's Grace and it will become so.
~ Mirra Alfassa

Quote:

I belong to no nation, no civilization, no society, no race, but to the Divine. I obey no master, no rules, no law, no social convention, but the Divine. To Him I have surrendered all, will, life and self; for Him I am ready to give all my blood, drop by drop, if such is His will, with complete joy, and nothing in his service can be sacrifice, for all is perfect delight. ~ Mirra Alfassa

TheImmortal 08-01-2015 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ascension
I AM

``Jesus``

Ramana Maharashi: That which is does not even say I AM.

TheImmortal 08-01-2015 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
The ego cannot survive without judgment.

--A Course In Miracles
or ACIM

Pir Vilayat Khan: The ego is very important ..... until one no longer needs it.

TheImmortal 08-01-2015 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by God-Like
Saw this little gem yesterday ..

He who knows not, and knows not that he knows not, is a fool - shun him.
He who knows not, and knows that he knows not, is willing - teach him.
He who knows, and knows not that he knows, is asleep - wake him.
He who knows, and knows that he knows, is a wise man - follow him."

- ancient proverb

The Upanishads: "Neither do I know nor do I not know".

TheImmortal 08-01-2015 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinO
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

Mark Twain

I absolutely LOVE this quote ! I just hope that the majority doesn't agree with me or it is time to pause and reflect. :smile:

TheImmortal 08-01-2015 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
Q: To become an engineer I must learn engineering. To become God, what must I learn?

M: You must unlearn everything. God is the end of all desire and knowledge.

Question answered by Nisargaddata Maharaj

Superb and worth repeating !

TaoSandwich 08-01-2015 05:02 PM

"My teacher said, "Suppose a bit of filth is stuck on the tip of the nose of a sleeping man, totally unknown to him. When he wakes up, he notices a foul smell; sniffing his shirt, he thinks his shirt stinks, and so he takes it off. But then whatever he picks up stinks; he doesn't realize the odor is on his nose. If someone who knows tells him it has nothing to do with the things themselves, he stubbornly refuses to believe it. The knowing one tells him to simply wipe his nose with his hand, but he won't. Were he willing to wipe his nose, only then could he know he was already getting somewhere; finally he would wash it off with water and there would be no foul odor at all. Whatever he smelled, that foul odor wouldn't be there from the start. Studying Zen is also like this; those who will not stop and watch themselves on their own instead pursue intellectual interpretation, but the pursuit of intellectual interpretation, seeking rationales and making comparative judgments, is all completely off. If you would turn your attention around and watch yourself, you would understand everything."

-Zen Master Foyan

Miss Hepburn 08-01-2015 05:26 PM

Oh gee...that was when I didn't know how to spell Nisargadatta!
Great quotes everybody!
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheImmortal
Superb and worth repeating !

LadyMay 08-01-2015 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheImmortal
Ramana Maharashi: That which is does not even say I AM.

I like this. I AM is still a label. Still an identity.

durgaa 08-01-2015 08:12 PM

Some of the Greatest Teachers only refer to themselves in the 'third person', because they are no longer identified with 'ego' or 'l'.

LadyMay 08-01-2015 10:00 PM

That's gotta be pretty weird though. "Scarlett is going to the shop for some food" or "Scarlett is going to sleep" or something.

TheImmortal 08-01-2015 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScarlettHayden
That's gotta be pretty weird though. "Scarlett is going to the shop for some food" or "Scarlett is going to sleep" or something.

Krishnamurti often referred to himself as "the speaker".

luntrusreality 08-01-2015 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScarlettHayden

Luntrus no like speak like that.
Luntrus tired.

Al-esi 08-01-2015 11:38 PM

oh very nice

Al-esi 08-01-2015 11:39 PM

The Stair

Yesterday, Upon the stair
I saw a man who wasn't there
he wasn't there again today
oh how I wish he'd go away!:fish:

durgaa 09-01-2015 11:19 AM

Quote:

l think they mostly referred to themselves in this way through correspondence with strangers and the like, not in everyday conversations with familiar ppl..

Miss Hepburn 10-01-2015 03:20 PM

"If only our eyes saw souls instead of bodies how very
different our ideals of beauty would be"

~ Mother Teresa

TaoSandwich 11-01-2015 07:49 AM

One of my favorite koans... it can be difficult to contemplate, but it is really striking :tongue: :

A monk asked Hsueh-feng "How is it when the ancient stream is cold from the source?"

Hsueh-feng said, "When you look directly into it, you don't see the bottom."

The monk asked "How about one who drinks of it?"

Hsueh-feng said, "It doesn't go in by way of the mouth."

The monk recounted this to Chao-chou. Chao-chou said, "It can't go in by way of the nostrils."

The monk then asked Chao-chou, "How is it when the ancient stream is cold from the source?"

Chao-chou said, "Painful."

The monk said, "What about one who drinks of it?"

Chao-chou said, "He dies."

Hsueh-feng heard this quoted and said, "Chao-chou is an ancient buddha; from now on, I won't answer any more questions."

TaoSandwich 11-01-2015 08:22 AM

"All verbal teachings are just to cure diseases. Because diseases are not the same, the remedies are also different. That is why it is sometimes said that there is Buddha, and sometimes it is said that there is no Buddha.

True words are those that actually cure sickness; if the cure manages to heal, then all are true words. If they can't effectively cure sickness, all are false words.

True words are false words when they give rise to views. False words are true words when they cut off the delusions of sentient beings. Because disease is unreal, there is only unreal medicine to cure it."

-Zen Master Pai-Chang

Miss Hepburn 12-01-2015 12:44 AM

I am the Source of everything; from Me all creation emerges.
With this realization the wise, the awestricken, adore Me.

- from The Gita, Ch 10v8, Krishna

ajay00 13-01-2015 10:12 AM

He who is of a merry heart has a continual feast. -- Jesus Christ

If you are happy, happiness will come to you because happiness wants to go where happiness is. -- Harbhajan Yogi Bhajan

:happy7: :happy1: :happy10: :happy2: :happy3:

durgaa 13-01-2015 02:39 PM

Quote:

Where did Christ say that??

Miss Hepburn 15-01-2015 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajay00

That would be Proverbs 15:15.
Then, 17:22...a merry heart does good like a medicine.

Miss Hepburn 15-01-2015 09:01 AM

If God's secrets are unknown don't despair.
Behind the mystery-curtain is a love-affair...

-Hafiz

TaoSandwich 01-02-2015 03:20 AM

"There are people in the world who constantly lecture on scriptures and ethics, who know what is wrong and what is not wrong, what is sinful and what is not sinful, what is offensive and what is not offensive. They are outwardly proper in their bearing, but have not stopped bad patterns in their inner minds; are they able to attain liberation from miseries?

Suppose someone inwardly has full knowledge of cause and effect, and the various conditions for misery and happiness, and he is also proper and mannerly in outward appearance, yet cannot take care of himself and keeps five hundred iron barbs inside his clothes - do you think this person can be free of pain? If people who study the way now are outwardly proper but inwardly do not stop bad patterns in their minds, they will be like this."

-Zen Master Fu Shan-Hui

TaoSandwich 01-02-2015 03:22 AM

"To 'leave the world' means that you do not let the feelings of worldly people hang on your mind."

-Zen Master Dogen

TaoSandwich 01-02-2015 03:23 AM

"No matter how bad a state of mind you may get into, if you keep strong and hold out, eventually the floating clouds must vanish and the withering wind must cease."

-Zen Master Dogen