Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Buddhism (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Gautama Siddhartha (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=139823)

TheLegacyFHP 08-04-2021 11:22 PM

Gautama Siddhartha

7. Gautama Siddhartha
94:7.1 (1035.1) Contemporary with Lao-tse and Confucius in China, another great teacher of truth arose in India. Gautama Siddhartha was born in the sixth century before Christ in the north Indian province of Nepal. His followers later made it appear that he was the son of a fabulously wealthy ruler, but, in truth, he was the heir apparent to the throne of a petty chieftain who ruled by sufferance over a small and secluded mountain valley in the southern Himalayas.
*Deleted* And name your source, pls.

sky 09-04-2021 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLegacyFHP
7. Gautama Siddhartha
94:7.1 (1035.1) Contemporary with Lao-tse and Confucius in China, another great teacher of truth arose in India. Gautama Siddhartha was born in the sixth century before Christ in the north Indian province of Nepal. His followers later made it appear that he was the son of a fabulously wealthy ruler, but, in truth, he was the heir apparent to the throne of a petty chieftain who ruled by sufferance over a small and secluded mountain valley in the southern Himalayas.
*Delelted* And name your source, pls.

And ?.......

Still_Waters 09-04-2021 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sky123
And ?.......

The Buddha is one of my favorite spiritual guides. He provided what I call "methodology without theology" and I have used his practices throughout my life.

His understanding of the mind serves as a basis for modern therapies such as CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) as well as MBSR (mindfulness based stress reduction). His wisdom is very relevant even today as it passes the test of time.

I am currently attending a local zoom group on "Buddhism for Sufis" led by a Sufi with a practice based on the teachings of the Buddha.

sky 09-04-2021 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still_Waters
The Buddha is one of my favorite spiritual guides. He provided what I call "methodology without theology" and I have used his practices throughout my life.

His understanding of the mind serves as a basis for modern therapies such as CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) as well as MBSR (mindfulness based stress reduction). His wisdom is very relevant even today as it passes the test of time.

I am currently attending a local zoom group on "Buddhism for Sufis" led by a Sufi with a practice based on the teachings of the Buddha.

Have fun :smile:

It sounds really interesting can you point me in the direction of their practice, something to read please....

pixiedust 09-04-2021 04:56 PM

Where do you find these groups, Still_Waters? You lead a vibrant and interesting spiritual life :-)

BTW I have heard good things about 'What the Buddha Taught' by Rev Walpola Rahula and also 'Siddhartha'; by Herman Hesse seems to be popular.

Here is a profile on Siddhartha who later became the Buddha of this present Age.

https://www.ancient.eu/Siddhartha_Gautama/

sentient 09-04-2021 06:54 PM

Quote:

Well, half your luck Sill Waters!
I'd be very interested in your impressions of the course.
The highlights?
Please do tell. :smile:

BigJohn 10-04-2021 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pixiedust
Here is a profile on Siddhartha who later became the Buddha of this present Age.

Which seems to imply their have been other Buddhas for other Ages and might even imply the presence of the Buddha of the Future, Maitreya.

As for Maitreya, I have statues of him. Most of them are Japanese antiques.

AbodhiSky 10-04-2021 05:04 AM

Quote:

it's evolved over time into a wonderous thing that's for sure. many different schools, something for everyone and all types. i would say a very large group of insightful people provided what we now know as buddhism, many different people over many centuries. buddha did no writing and of course did not invent a religion. he did however start a group of male and female monastics which he gave very strict rules of conduct to. all the writing down of ideas, not from buddha. it's very similar to christianity and jesus. many very insightful people who came after jesus created christianity.

Still_Waters 10-04-2021 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pixiedust
Where do you find these groups, Still_Waters? You lead a vibrant and interesting spiritual life :-)

BTW I have heard good things about 'What the Buddha Taught' by Rev Walpola Rahula and also 'Siddhartha'; by Herman Hesse seems to be popular.

https://www.ancient.eu/Siddhartha_Gautama/

Hi Pixiedust,

I find these groups through word-of-mouth. I go to a group, connect with some of the deeper participants, exchange phone numbers, and they tell me about other groups that might be of interest and/or they invite me to a group that they are forming.

It's interesting that you should mention the book "Siddhartha" by Herman Hesse as it is one of the readings that participants in the "Buddhism for Sufis" group decided (by poll) as the first reading. I've read it in the past and there is a good movie based on the book.

One of my favorite Buddhist books was given to me years ago by a Buddhist friend from Sri Lanka. It is "The Buddha and His Teachings" by Narada Maha Thera (Buddhist Publication Society , Kandy, Sri Lanka, 1980). It is based on the Pali Canon, the oldest written version of the Buddhist teachings that had previously been passed down orally. When I brought it with me to a nearby Burmese Buddhist house-monastery in Brooklyn, the Abbot indicated that they use the same book ... except their version is in Pali (or some other language as I don't recall exactly).

On one of my trips to India in the 1980s, I was able to visit Sarnath (before it became commercialized) near Benares/Varanasi where Buddha gave his first sermon on the Four Noble Truths at Deer Park. It was an unforgettable experience as the energy there was awesome and the monks there were very eager to share (through a translator, of course).

Still_Waters 10-04-2021 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sentient
Well, half your luck Sill Waters!
I'd be very interested in your impressions of the course.
The highlights?
Please do tell. :smile:

The "Buddhism for Sufis" group was interesting but, after my comments, my sense is that it will go deeper and get a lot more interesting.

The Wednesday session went into the Four Noble Truths but, instead of going into the Eight-Fold Path, it went into the "Ten Realms" which we agreed are actually states of consciousness. I mentioned that the Buddha adamantly refused to discuss metaphysics and maintained the Noble Silence when metaphysical questions arose. Hence, next week, the host plans to go into the Eightfold Path and focus more on practices which the Buddha taught instead of metaphysical theorizing. The host/presenter and I are now in WhatsApp communication.

Interestingly enough, Buddhism came up at a Spiritist meeting I attended last night (Friday, April 9th)) where the subject matter was related to the process of physical death. I introduced the Tibetan Buddhist teachings on the Bardos (death transitions) and mentioned my one-on-one dialogue with Sogyal Rimpoche (a Tibetan Buddhist monk who witnessed his master raise a monk from the dead to guide him properly through the Bardos). That triggered a lot of discussion as it is very rare to find cases in modern times where some one actually came back from the dead and said something about it. (Yogananda's "Autobiography of a Yogi" cites another case for those who are interested.)

This week's topic in the "Buddhism for Sufis" group is expected to be "Karma" (:smile: ) and "soul-less" (annata). The latter was the subject of the Buddha's second discourse. I wrote an essay on the latter subject when I took an online course (www.coursera.org) on "Buddhism and Modern Psychology" offered by Princeton university.