Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Beliefs (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Meaning of unison between good and evil (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136639)

Julius777 11-08-2020 10:04 PM

Meaning of unison between good and evil

Hello,

it is well known that good and evil are like yin and yang,
that one part cannot exist without the other and that there is
a fair balance between the two.

But wouldn't that imply that if I do something good, something bad
will result?
That if I do something bad, something good will happen elsewhere as
a result of my bad behavior, to balance good and bad out?

And won't that mean it's useless to behave either good nor bad, because
the opposite will always be created, too?

But then again there is a cosmic law, the natural law, which says it's immoral to initiate harm against others.
-> Its immoral to behave bad.
But why would it be immoral when it doesnt make a difference, anyway?

Can you understand my confusion?

inavalan 11-08-2020 10:37 PM

In my opinion, you overthink this, willingly or not.

It is simple:
- good yields good, bad yields bad; so it matters; it's your choice to continue
- there are no cosmic laws about morality, and what one considers good, another may consider bad
- there is no confusion; you made it up

LiberatedLotus 11-08-2020 11:30 PM

There is no confusion.

When you violate the rights of another being
(their body, property, possessions; place any type of
restrictions or limitations upon them; commit any type of
dishonest or dishonorable acts against them you will reap the consequences for such thought, speech, and/or action.

Doesn't matter how you justify, theorize, excuse, diffuse, or avoid such consequences. You are bound to these laws.
Doesn't matter what your opinions or thoughts are regarding what is inherent to nature.

There is cosmic consciousness, intelligent design
in all things. Whether that is what you refer to as God, creation, the force; it does not matter. It is always keeping record, keeping score.

When you commit such violations, you're not
committing them against the person/(s). You're
committing it against all beings, all matter, the energies/
essences in which such embody. Including yourself.

I believe there are enough texts, manuscripts,
and orders formed around such principles that it speaks for itself.

inavalan 12-08-2020 03:45 AM

You experience what you focus on. If that's what you believe, that's what you experience.

You want better experiences, you have to change your focus and beliefs. I'm sure many text and manuscripts state that, but you understand only what you can, based on your focus and beliefs.

By the way, from so many dogmas and gurus, how do you know which is right? I believe that you can't know, so you should believe none of them. Look where believing brought you.

lemex 12-08-2020 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julius777
Hello,

will result?

But then again there is a cosmic law, the natural law, which says it's immoral to initiate harm against others.

I have to say I don't agree yin and yang represent good and evil. Yin and yang represent balance. it also represent at a deeper level yin with(in) yang and yang with(in) yin which themselves represent balance, but this is my philosophy. But yin and yang represent harmony and balance, therefor disharmony when balance shifts. It is about knowing disharmony and return to balance. The greater the shift the more disharmony yet the system naturally seeks balance, even being unbalanced. We create balance to have balance. Is it also about the balance we create. In nature this is easy to see. I think what we have to recognize is we expend energy to maintain the balance we have (within). The balance is artificial and we expend energy that is not really balance. I think we actually expend a lot of energy to avoid (natural) balance. As was said one person says this is good and another says it is bad.

Jyotir 12-08-2020 03:50 PM

Quote:

Hello,

will result?

You are confused because of your original premise which is incorrect, leads to a false result, thus the irreconcilable disparity you call “confusion”. This premise is from poor observation, poor reasoning, or derived from archaic untrue systems of thought; any/all of the previous.

The specious premise is that good and evil are mutually dependent, equal, and importantly equally inherent and fundamental to Life and reciprocally necessary to each other.
They are not.

Evil, darkness, ignorance actually has no original inherence. It is dependent on higher principle for its possibility, but the inverse is not true. Higher principle, truth, light is self-existent and not in any way dependent on evil, ignorance or darkness.

Truth, light or higher principle as superior and generative as source has simply created the conditions for evil, etc. to be possible, even probable. But darkness, evil, ignorance are conditions and results - not original cause.

It is true that good may produce evil, and evil may produce good, but this also has more to do with both the availability of free will (the possibility of evil), especially in self-conscious human beings, and the pervasive availability of truth and light (the possibility and even inevitability of good) within the Cosmic reality which is an interdependent multiplicity of apparently divided being that is the vehicle for the evolution of consciousness that is ultimately the inexorable intention of a compassionate Transcendental Will.

-----------
If you want to delve into this topic in depth, I suggest looking at the whole section of

Book Two, Part I: The Infinite Consciousness and the Ignorance, but specifically

Chapter XIV: The Origin and Remedy of Falsehood, Error, Wrong, and Evil, within,

“The Life Divine” by Sri Aurobindo.

You can link to a free PDF version in my signature; scroll down to Vol. 21-22.

~ J

Greenslade 13-08-2020 09:18 AM

Quote:

Yes, but you haven't asked the right question and therefore you're not finding any answers that make sense. On top of that you're using binary thinking to solve the puzzle that binary thinking created.

What makes good good, and what makes evil evil? If you can't see past the veneer, then what?

ketzer 13-08-2020 10:49 AM

Quote:

Hello,

will result?

Perhaps you are confused because it is confusing.

Yes, conceptually one cannot create or conceive of the concept of good without also creating the concept of evil. This is because they are really just different polarities of one underlying concept, a linked duality pair that express the polar opposites of one underlying entity. There are many others of course, black/white, happy/sad, light/dark, etc/etc.

What becomes confusing, I think, is that though as concepts, these cannot exist without their opposing poles, I don't know for a fact that this is the case in expression/creation. Admittedly, it may be nearly impossible in practice, but in principal it may be possible. That is to say in our attempts to create good, because of our ignorance, we often unintentionally create evil, but IDK if this must always be so. Of course if one tries to conceive of what complete goodness would look like, one brings the concept of evil back into the picture, but that is only bringing the concept of evil into the mind, not necessarily bringing it into expression itself. We seek to understand the one underlying unified concept through the two polar expressions of its more mysterious nature.

It becomes even more confusing if one enforces the concept of balance between the two opposites. Balance is a concept that is certainly important in many aspects of nature, and in life, but I don't know that all duality pairs must always seek a balance as if they are two equal opposites. IMO, good is better then evil and is fundamentally preferable in concept. Even if in practice it is difficult to always discern what is good and what is evil. It would seem some polar opposites have no inherently preferred direction in the underlying entity they express, while other do.

The experience of life, I believe, does require both good and evil, as this is how we learn to discern between the two, but I don't believe we should be seeking a equal balance between the two. Would it be a 'good' thing to have such a balance? In life we experience both good and evil, and through that experience, learn what the underlying concept means. What it means to choose and to create good without unintentionally creating evil. We are all one, yet we are all also individual entities. Goodness allows unity as one, evil promotes separation and conflict between the individual entities. The more one understands good and evil, and practices good over evil, the more one understand and feels the all encompassing love of that unity of all as one. Adam bites the apple seeking the knowledge of good and evil.

IDK if that helps with your confusion, but I expect we are all here, in life, quite confused about what is good and what is evil, what we should do when faced with our choices. That's OK, that is why we are here. Arjuna faced this dilemma in the Bhagavad Gita. While Krishna was not able to resolve this confusion for him, he did give him some advice about how to go through life facing it, as did Jesus.

Jyotir 13-08-2020 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ketzer

Arjuna faced this dilemma in the Bhagavad Gita.
While Krishna was not able to resolve this confusion for him, he did give him some advice about how to go through life facing it [...]

Not true.

The colloquy between Krishna and Arjuna which constitutes the entire contents of the Bhagavad Gita, represents Krishna’s instruction to Arjuna on the nature of Reality and Yoga for the express purpose of accomplishing this resolution, evident in Arjuna’s acquiescence and assent to participate in the battle of Kurukshetra. Not only that, but Arjuna apologizes to Krishna and thanks him for the clarity of his instruction.

~ J

janielee 13-08-2020 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ketzer

Yes, conceptually one cannot create or conceive of the concept of good without also creating the concept of evil.

Really???? Wow.....minds.....

JL