Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Religion (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   What are the most conservative religions? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133141)

janielee 31-12-2019 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Busby
I'm old enough to remember the day when Derek Bentley was hanged in the UK, a nineteen-year-old boy who killed a policeman and whose death proclaimed a great change in the public's thinking about justice. I was about 15 at the time and it was the moment when the Establishment took to the stage in my life.

Very sad, busby
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Bentley_case

janielee 31-12-2019 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJohn
What are the most conservative religions.Especially if they predominate one nation.

One religion I have found to be extremely conservative is Buddhism.

Please talk freely on the subject.

The most conservative minds are those who deny climate change, hate China (or choose your own country) and denigrate others.

Jl

BigJohn 11-02-2020 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoOne
It really depends on how you define "conservative". If you mean which modern, currently existing religion preserved its ancient traditions and teachings the most, then Judaism and Hinduism are obvious candidates.

Hinduism is a lot more eclectic though, preserving varying traditions under one umbrella, even when they're very different to each other. ...

Your first definition seems to fit the definition of conservative that I was thinking about.

BigJohn 29-05-2021 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altair
Hey BigJohn, I would define conservatism as a perspective that seeks to keep things as they are, as close to how things are done and have been done for a considerable amount of time. It focusses heavily on ''identity'', be that religion, culture, or fixed attitudes towards gender behaviour and sexuality.

I really enjoyed re-reading your post. A lot of thought went in to it.

Islam might be the most conservative religion but I have a feeling it is the least understood. For example, when I lived overseas, I would wake up early to hear somebody 'moaning as if in pain' while competing with the roosters crowing. It turned out, a Mosque was nearby and the person in 'pain', was ....... people praying!

BigJohn 29-05-2021 12:06 AM

I remembered going past a Hindu holy building and heard a person in pain. I asked the person I was with what was going on and was told the person was constipated. It turned out, the person was also praying. LOL!

Unseeking Seeker 29-05-2021 10:01 AM

Eventually, the question boils down to religion vs spirituality

Religion: A documented belief system, a doctrine, a scripture, a holy book, temple, church, gurudwara, mosque, a sect ... Prayer. Penance. Ritual. An image, a statue or statute. A formatted path, a roadmap, to connect with God.

Spirituality: A child, innocent, sun in sky above, earth below, heartbeat within throbbing with love. Breath and voice of conscience. Sacred geometry. Directly imbibed wisdom by touch. Mindfulness. Thought rested meditation. Expansion and contraction, a pulse, a throb a wave, a mist, The pathless path.

Both set off in humility and surrender for God search. Which path is valid? Do both get to the roots? Do all paths eventually converge?

What’s our take? How open minded are we? Have we subconsciously ingrained religious intolerance? Is it our way or the highway? How unshakeable is faith, when tested? Are deep rooted lower instincts rested? Is our knowing vicarious or directly imbibed wisdom? Can we, do we, measure our consciousness progress? What is the underlying eternal truth, the noumenon?

BigJohn 31-05-2021 03:41 AM

Some claim religion and spirituality go hand in hand.

In spirituality, is there not intolerance towards others who claim a different form of spirituality?

BigJohn 31-05-2021 03:43 AM

Which is better:
parents that have a religion that allows the kids to do whatever they want

or

parents that have a religion that sits define boundaries for the children?

GlitterRose 05-06-2021 05:30 PM

I think any religion can be taken to an extreme. Even the lack of religion can be taken to an extreme. Politics can be taken to an extreme. People can get addicted to anything.

Spirituality to me is just the recognition that there are many paths one could take that could quite possibly lead them to the same place.

If, on the other hand, they become too dogmatic and doctrinal about it, they might get stuck in that place of idolizing the dogma/doctrines and true experience could fall from their grasp.

GlitterRose 05-06-2021 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJohn
Which is better:
parents that have a religion that allows the kids to do whatever they want

or

parents that have a religion that sits define boundaries for the children?

What religion do you feel parents might have that would not allow them to set boundaries for their children?

Even parents without religion would likely set boundaries. They just wouldn't claim a higher power had set them first.