Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Christianity (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Adam and Eve and Creation: Literal or Figurative? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=139677)

tom63376 26-03-2021 05:30 PM

Adam and Eve and Creation: Literal or Figurative?

What is your view of the Story of Creation? Do you see it as literally true or figurative and symbolic?

sky 26-03-2021 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom63376
What is your view of the Story of Creation? Do you see it as literally true or figurative and symbolic?

Copied from other beliefs Systems, I personally believe in Evolution :smile:

BigJohn 26-03-2021 05:40 PM

Quote:

If you look at the writing styles of the two creation accounts in Hebrew, it becomes apparent these accounts were written by different people or groups. When you look at it from that position, those accounts become opinions.

The Talmud was written similar, but on an improved style, which indicates to me the creation accounts were written earlier.

inavalan 26-03-2021 07:42 PM

Quote:

Symbolic. You have to interpret the meaning behind symbols.

RabbiO 26-03-2021 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJohn
If you look at the writing styles of the two creation accounts in Hebrew, it becomes apparent these accounts were written by different people or groups. When you look at it from that position, those accounts become opinions.

The Talmud was written similar, but on an improved style, which indicates to me the creation accounts were written earlier.

Again, since you seem to have forgotten, the Talmuds (there are two) were written in the period between 200 and 500 CE. The Mishna, written around 200 CE in Hebrew, the Gemara, in Aramaic, followed in the years that followed.

I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to say when you write "The Talmud was written similar, but on an improved style".

Altair 26-03-2021 10:56 PM

Quote:

It seems literal by the way it is described.

utopiandreamchild 26-03-2021 10:57 PM

Quote:

Why on earth were they thrown out the garden for the sake of eating a simple piece of fruit. Omg. It is what it is, as in the story of Adam and Eve as recorded in the Bible. Amen

BigJohn 27-03-2021 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RabbiO
Again, since you seem to have forgotten, the Talmuds (there are two) were written in the period between 200 and 500 CE. The Mishna, written around 200 CE in Hebrew, the Gemara, in Aramaic, followed in the years that followed.

I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to say when you write "The Talmud was written similar, but on an improved style".

There are various versions of what I wrote, circulating. Some versions re in more detail then others. An example of what some have concluded can be found here: https://www.sjsu.edu/faculty/mary.wa...rJEDPnotes.htm

BigJohn 27-03-2021 01:10 AM

There are numerous other versions that can be found on the internet. As for me, I came to my own conclusions from my own personal readings of the Bible. Later, I found out there are numerous others that have 'discovered' on their own similar points.

ImthatIm 27-03-2021 10:35 AM

Quote:

I think it does not really matter.

There are key references that are worth considering though.