Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Non Duality (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   Is time real? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=141388)

mary isaak 05-09-2021 06:50 PM

Is time real?

Hi everyone,

I heard that time is a mind concept and that it does not really exist.
This idea is hard to understand for me, because I experience events as happening one after the other. Maybe the order is different for different people, it is relative but still exist.

iamthat 05-09-2021 08:44 PM

We could say that time is the measurement of change, the apparent interval between two events arising in consciousness.

We inhabit a world of form, including our inner mental world, and the nature of form is change. Thus we experience a succession of events and time is very real.

The Self, our true Being, is changeless and thus does not experience time. There is only the eternal Present.

I would consider myself as a practical Advaitist. Time may be an illusion from a higher perspective, but to say that time does not exist is denying the actual experience of everyday physical existence.
As you say, it is relative.

Peace

eputkonen 05-09-2021 09:04 PM

The past only exists as a memory.
The future is only imaginative speculation.

When the mind is silent and there is no thought..."now" is all there is. There is constant change...nothing is static or unmoving. We make up an interval for the "time" it takes something to move from there to here (referring to memory)...but in actuality...everything is only ever-here and ever-now.

ayar415 06-09-2021 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eputkonen
When the mind is silent and there is no thought..."now" is all there is.

"Now" is the present. There is no present without the past and the future.

I will have to give you a failing grade for this answer.

ayar415 06-09-2021 12:30 AM

Quote:

When the mind is silent and there is no thought..."now" is all there is.

Is the mind ever silent? Wishful thinking is thought in action.

Miss Hepburn 06-09-2021 12:53 AM

You would have to experience it to understand it.

eputkonen 06-09-2021 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayar415
Is the mind ever silent?

Of course.

ayar415 06-09-2021 02:00 AM

Quote:

Of course.

What is it like when the mind is silent and cognition stops?

Dan_SF 06-09-2021 03:01 AM

Quote:

This idea is hard to understand for me, because I experience events as happening one after the other.

I wrote some steps on how people can see or notice that time does not exist (in "My Space" part of the forum, -"Dan's thoughts-Book Thread" from post #11 to #16.

It is easier to understand that time does not really exist IF you understand that whatever is happening is some kind of "Change".
And change is not TIME - it takes a bit of "time" to be DONE.

If you exchange the word "Time" with the word "Delay" then you can get the correct description: "How fast is the change happening."

Mahesh72 06-09-2021 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mary isaak
Hi everyone,
I heard that time is a mind concept and that it does not really exist.

Hi Mary.
So, what is the meaning of word "Time"? Can we describe the word "Time" without comparison?