Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Quotes & Stories (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Quotes on Awareness\Mindfulness... (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110598)

ajay00 09-11-2019 09:26 AM

Equanimity of mind is yoga. ~ Krishna ( Bhagavad Gita)

To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. ~ Lao Tzu

Equanimity is the hallmark of spirituality. It is neither chasing nor avoiding but just being in the middle. ~ Amit Ray

Equanimity is the quality of mental equipoise in which the mind is neither attracted to a pleasant object nor averse to an unpleasant object. ~ Christopher Germer

Having likes and dislikes, it is impossible to maintain equanimity. ~ Swami Ramsukhdasji

Watch how anything attractive or repulsive can take you away from yourself. ~ Vernon Howard

To cultivate equanimity we practice catching ourselves when we feel attraction or aversion, before it hardens into grasping or negativity. ~ Pema Chodron

Let the wave of memory, the storm of desire, the fire of emotion pass through without affecting your equanimity. ~ Sai Baba

Virtuous people always let go. They don’t prattle about pleasures and desires.Touched by happiness and then by suffering, the sage shows no sign of being elated or depressed. ~ Buddha (Dhammapada)

ajay00 18-11-2019 10:58 AM

Even a little disturbance of the mind will affect its judgement and efficiency. ~ Swami Chinmayananda

Knowledge comes to your mind only if the mind is calm and serene, then knowledge flows easily through the mind to the job in hand. ~ Swami Chinmayananda

The average man cannot think clearly, but is ruled by explosions of his emotions. ~ Yogananda

Although we have the knowledge at our fingertips, it fails us when needed, if the mind is disturbed. ~ Swami Chinmayananda

It is actually a calm mind that can act correctly in the midst of danger. An emotional mind usually errs and exacerbates the situation. ~ Jaggi Vasudev

ajay00 06-12-2019 04:17 AM

Seekers after truth must never be overpowered by anything. Fully conscious and wide-awake, with the attitude of a spectator, they must watch anything that happens. - Anandamayi Ma

They alone are true heroes whose mind remain unmoved even when assailed by causes of powerful emotion. ~ Sanskrit proverb

If the mind wavers, difficulty will embrace you.~Ambalal Muljibhai Patel ( Dada Bhagwan )

Only when we learn how to master our emotions will we find inner balance. ~ Stefania Pallotta

With the discovery of inner balance we can face any situation in life. ~ Dada Gavand

ajay00 11-12-2019 09:27 AM

He who has no attraction ( or aversion) for objects will have a calm mind. - Manu

Equanimity means there is no reaction at all within you, whether one abuses you or one respects you - a total absence of reaction within. - Osho

It is considered equanimity when attachment does not arise towards someone who offers flowers and abhorrence does not arise towards someone who is pelting stones. - ~Ambalal Muljibhai Patel ( Dada Bhagwan )

If 'we' stay in our state of Pure Soul (awareness), attachment-abhorrence will not occur. ~Ambalal Muljibhai Patel ( Dada Bhagwan )

ajay00 21-12-2019 07:34 AM

He who has strength of mind will not be agitated. If you are agitated you cannot know the truth. ~ Yogar Swamigal

While living in a normal agitated state of fears, worries and doubts, seeing the deeper truths is impossible. ~ Satguru Sivayasubramaniyaswami

If I am agitated, I am wrong. ~ Vernon Howard

You can realise the truth only by making your mind steady. The mind is so restless as a monkey. The mind becomes steady as a result of knowledge of the Self. ~ Swawmi Muktananda

ajay00 22-01-2020 09:49 AM

No matter what is happening around you, pay attention to making and keeping your inner stability strong. - Dadi Janki( Administrative head of Prajapita Brahmakumaris)

The problem is as big as the amount of pain we create. If we are stable, the problem appears to be very small and easy to face. - B.K.Shivani Sister ( Prajapita Brahmakumaris)

When we face problems with a cool mind, problems become opportunities. - B.K.Shivani Sister ( Prajapita Brahmakumaris)

ajay00 09-06-2020 05:31 AM

The moment you become aware of the ego in you, it is strictly speaking no longer the ego, but just an old, conditioned mind-pattern. Ego implies unawareness. Awareness and ego cannot coexist. ~ Eckhart Tolle

Darkness is the absence of light. Ego is the absence of awareness. ~ Osho

There is only one reality, but there are many ways a reality can be interpreted. ~ B.K.S.Iyengar

Every ego is a master of selective perception and distorted interpretation. ~ Eckhart Tolle

Awareness means grasping life just the way it is, without contamination by mental projections. ~ Jaggi Vasudev

ajay00 28-07-2020 09:17 AM

Ego is the movement of the mind toward objects of perception in the form of grasping, and away from objects in the form of aversion. This fundamentally is all the ego is. This movement of grasping and aversion gives rise to a sense of a separate 'me,' and in turn the sense of 'me' strengthens itself this way.
Adyashanti

“As long as the ego runs your life, most of your thoughts, emotions, and actions arise from desire and fear. ~ Eckhart Tolle

ajay00 28-07-2020 09:17 AM

Ego is the movement of the mind toward objects of perception in the form of grasping, and away from objects in the form of aversion. This fundamentally is all the ego is. This movement of grasping and aversion gives rise to a sense of a separate 'me,' and in turn the sense of 'me' strengthens itself this way.
Adyashanti

“As long as the ego runs your life, most of your thoughts, emotions, and actions arise from desire and fear. ~ Eckhart Tolle

Desire and attachment are expressions of ego. Without the ego there are no desire and attachment. So ego, attachment and desires are together. ~ Baba Hari Dass

The ego expresses itself by creating attachment and desires. When attachment and desires are removed, then there will be no selfish identification. Ego expresses its existence by desire and attachment and the ego always seeks for its self-interest. ~ Baba Hari Dass

ajay00 01-08-2020 05:51 AM

Who we are varies according to our awareness. When you are more aware, you are someone else than when you are less aware. ~ Dr.Frederick Lenz

https://www.ramaquotes.com/html/awareness.html

Xan 15-08-2020 05:45 PM

Look past your thoughts, so you may drink the pure nectar of This Moment.

- Rumi

Xan 15-08-2020 05:47 PM

oops double post

Aethera 15-08-2020 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xan
Look past your thoughts, so you may drink the pure nectar of This Moment.

- Rumi

That's a very nice quote, Rumi has a lot of nice quotes.:smile:

Aethera 15-08-2020 10:56 PM

“There is a voice that doesn’t use words. Listen.”-Rumi

ajay00 11-09-2020 11:29 AM

When each thought absorbs your attention completely, it means you identify with the voice in your head. Thought then becomes invested with a sense of self. This is the ego, a mind-made "me." That mentally constructed self feels incomplete and precarious. That's why fearing and wanting are its predominant emotions and motivating forces.~ Eckhart Tolle

… the ego's need to be periodically in conflict with something or someone in order to strengthen its sense of separation between me and the other, without which it cannot survive. ~ Eckhart Tolle

Ego is a ghost who is terrified of dying.~ Mooji

You are not the voice in your mind, but the one who is aware of it.~ Eckhart Tolle

ajay00 12-09-2020 07:06 AM

To remain unconscious of being is to be trapped within an ego-driven wasteland of conflict, strife, and fear that only seems customary. ~ Adyashanti

The more unconscious individuals, groups, or nations are, the more likely it is that egoic pathology will assume the form of physical violence. Violence is a primitive but still very widespread way in which the ego attempts to assert itself, to prove itself right or another wrong. With very unconscious people, arguments can easily lead to physical violence. - Eckhart Tolle

Naturally, selfishness is always destructive. Desire and fear, both are self-centred states. Between desire and fear anger arises, with anger hatred, with hatred passion for destruction. War is hatred in action, organised and equipped with all the instruments of death.~ Nisargadatta Maharaj

The moment you become aware of the ego in you, it is strictly speaking no longer the ego, but just an old, conditioned mind-pattern. Ego implies unawareness. Awareness and ego cannot coexist. ~ Eckhart Tolle

ajay00 24-09-2020 05:34 AM

The mind is a bundle of thoughts. The thoughts arise because there is the thinker. The thinker is the ego. The ego, if sought, will automatically vanish. The ego and the mind are the same. The ego is the root-thought from which all other thoughts arise.~ Ramana Maharshi,

"The mind is maya. Reality lies beyond the mind. So long as the mind functions there is duality, maya, etc. Once it is transcended the Reality shines forth. Although it is said to shine forth Self-effulgence is the Self." ~ Ramana Maharshi

Whatever harm an enemy may do to an enemy, or a hater to a hater, an ill-directed mind inflicts on oneself a greater harm. Neither mother, father, nor any other relative can do one greater good than one’s own well-directed mind. ~ Buddha ( Dhammapada 42-43)

For him who has conquered the mind, the mind is the best of friends; but for one who has failed to do so, his mind will remain the greatest enemy.~ Krishna ( BG: 6.6)

Being aware is being aware of one's own mind and the games it plays on itself. ~Robin Macnaughton

Awareness takes over from thinking. Instead of being in charge of your life, thinking becomes the servant of awareness.~ Eckhart Tolle

janielee 24-09-2020 05:52 AM

Thanks, some great quotes, ajay00.

BigJohn 25-09-2020 11:14 PM

What is necessary to change a person
is to change his awareness of himself.

Abraham Maslow

BigJohn 25-09-2020 11:15 PM

It is the awareness of unfulfilled desires
which gives a nation the feeling
that it has a mission and a destiny.

Eric Hoffer

Heightend-Awareness 26-09-2020 01:28 AM

No dream is too big when you understand ABUNDANCE is your birthright. – #FearlessSoul

Heightend-Awareness 26-09-2020 01:31 AM

A true teaching is not an accumulation of knowledge; it is an awaking of consciousness which goes through successive stages. -Unknown

BigJohn 26-09-2020 03:09 AM

The ability to observe without evaluating is the highest form of intelligence.

Jiddu Krishnamurti

BigJohn 26-09-2020 03:10 AM

Be happy in the moment, that’s enough. Each moment is all we need, not more.

Mother Teresa

BigJohn 26-09-2020 03:11 AM

The best way to capture moments is to pay attention. This is how we cultivate mindfulness. Mindfulness means being awake. It means knowing what you are doing.Jon Kabat-Zinn

Jon Kabat-Zinn

ajay00 06-10-2020 10:14 AM

Violence generates more violence; hatred produces more hatred. Peace cannot be conquered. Peace cannot be the result of violence. Peace comes to us only when we dissolve the Ego, when we destroy within us all those psychological factors that produce war. ~ Samael Aun Weor

We must experience the Truth in a direct, practical and real way; this is only possible in the stillness and silence of the mind, and this is achieved by means of meditation. ~ Samael Aun Weor

What is the use of education if we do not become creative, conscious and truly intelligent? Real education does not mean knowing how to read and write. Any stupid person, any fool can know how to read and write. We need to have intelligence and it only awakens within us when the consciousness awakens. ~ Samael Aun Weor

When consciousness has awakened it is not something sensational or spectacular. It's simply a reality as natural as the one of a tree that has growth slowly and developed without starts or sensational stuffs. Nature is Nature. ~ Samael Aun Weor

BigJohn 06-10-2020 03:27 PM

It's not hard for the ego to admit the Universe can be bigger, in fact it's very hard for Spiritual people to admit the Universe is bigger than just a belief system. The ego itself doesn't admit nor deny because 'technically' the ego doesn't exist - what exists in your reality is your definition of the ego -whatever that is. Did you know that the ego is not a Spiritual term, it's a psychology term? Did you also know that people talking about the ego is psychoanalysis?

Are you aware that Jung based his understanding of the ego on the Sanskrit Ahamkara? He was a well-versed scholar of ancient religion/philosophy that might have stood above so many in here. Both ego and Aham means 'I', and it's a Latin term that the ancients couldn't have used because Latin didn't exist that far back. Did you also know that the ancients so many revere in here didn't differentiate between religion/philosophy and what is known today as psychology? Did you know that in the context of Ahamkara, ego is a kara or 'invented thing'? Is using the word 'ego' and redefining it to suit one's agenda and therefore perpetuating ignorance not Chitta or 'Lower Mind'? It is Chitta that creates those karas or 'invented things' that the Aham or I is made from.

The unbalanced ego seeks status, and while the mainstream idea of status is monetary wealth to the unbalanced ego (using it for clarity purposes) also finds status in other ways. The brain/mind can make status associations with being Spiritual because the unbalanced ego considering itself a 'Spiritual Being' is no different to someone who considers themselves rich. Someone who is rich can think of themselves as 'better than' a poor person, someone who uses the term 'Spiritual being' can think they are 'better than' a non-Spiritual being. The grandiose title of Spiritual Adept, to the unbalanced ego, is status - as is "A wealth of knowledge," Spiritual or otherwise. Depending no how people use the words, 'awakened' and 'aware' can also be egotistical because it can imply their being better than someone who isn't.

GREENSLADE

Heightend-Awareness 06-10-2020 06:46 PM

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
- Chief Seattle

Heightend-Awareness 06-10-2020 06:47 PM

We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
- Chief Seattle

Heightend-Awareness 06-10-2020 09:10 PM

The beauty of the trees, the softness of the air, the fragrance of the grass, they speak to me. The summit of the mountain, the thunder of the sky, the rhythm of the sea, speaks to me. The faintness of the stars, the freshness of the morning, the dewdrop on the flower, speaks to me. The strength of the fire, the taste of the salmon, the trail of the sun, and the life that never goes away, they speak to me. And my heart soars.
- Chief Dan George

Heightend-Awareness 06-10-2020 09:32 PM

To know your true self is to know God - me

ajay00 22-10-2020 10:13 AM

The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but your thoughts about it. ~ Eckhart Tolle

If you don't have very strong emotions or very intense thoughts about something, you cannot get depressed. ~ Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev

Life is rooted in reality, not in your thoughts and emotions. ~ Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev

Rather than being your thoughts and emotions, be the awareness behind them. ~ Eckhart Tolle

The most beautiful moments in your life – moments of bliss, moments of joy, moments of ecstasy, moments of utter peace – were moments when you were not thinking about anything. You were just living. ~ Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev

BigJohn 29-10-2020 06:32 AM

A Buddha is not a man of concentration,
       he is a man of awareness.

He has not been trying to
   narrow down his consciousness;
              on the contrary,
he has been trying to drop all barriers
           so that he becomes
    totally available to existence.

Watch... existence is simultaneous.

I am speaking here and the
    traffic noise is simultaneous.

The train,
                   the birds
the wind blowing through the trees --
               in this moment
   the whole of existence converges.

You listening to me,
             I speaking to you,
    and millions of things going on --
         it is tremendously rich.

Osho

Miss Hepburn 29-10-2020 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heightend-Awareness
To know your true self is to know God - me

So if I were to know God - I would know myself?- me :D

Heightend-Awareness 29-10-2020 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
So if I were to know God - I would know myself?- me :D

Quite right, you cheeky lass.:smile:

BigJohn 30-10-2020 04:13 AM

Although it is difficult to pinpoint the physical base or location of awareness,
      it is perhaps the most precious thing concealed within our brains.

And it is something that the individual alone can feel and experience.
                 Each of us cherishes it highly, yet it is private.

Dalai Lama

Heightend-Awareness 30-10-2020 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJohn
Although it is difficult to pinpoint the physical base or location of awareness,
      it is perhaps the most precious thing concealed within our brains.

And it is something that the individual alone can feel and experience.
                 Each of us cherishes it highly, yet it is private.

Dalai Lama

Our Awareness is a combination of the pineal gland (third eye) and the heart. Without either you are lost. -me

BigJohn 30-10-2020 01:06 PM

Awareness is empowering.

Rita Wilson

BigJohn 30-10-2020 01:11 PM

Awareness is observation without choice, condemnation, or justification.

Awareness is silent observation from which there arises understanding
          without the experiencer and the experienced.

In this awareness, which is passive, the problem or the cause is given an  
      opportunity to unfold itself and so give its full significance.

In awareness there is no end in view to be gained, and there is no
    becoming, the 'me' and the 'mine' not being given the continuity.

Jiddu Krishnamurti

ajay00 07-11-2020 09:32 AM

With the changing of seasons and the integrity of matter, the external form of the earth changes over time. The driving force behind this devolution is the human mind. The higher, pure consciousness manifests in a robust, verdant planet, while the lowest, impure consciousness produces a polluted, corroded state of existence. ~ Prajapita Brahmakumaris