Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Beliefs (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   EGO: BELIEF SYSTEM CREATOR? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=131985)

BigJohn 22-10-2019 06:03 AM

EGO: BELIEF SYSTEM CREATOR?

Do our egos create new belief systems or at least modify existing belief systems?

ocean breeze 22-10-2019 07:12 AM

Is not our own egos just a belief? How did the ego come to exist? Where does it exist? Who or what created the ego?

Busby 22-10-2019 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJohn
Do our egos create new belief systems or at least modify existing belief systems?

No, our imaginations do.

sky 22-10-2019 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Busby
No, our imaginations do.

Imagination is ego...

sky 22-10-2019 07:44 AM

Quote:

Yes, and the ego of others also created the belief systems that we are trying to modify :biggrin:

MAYA EL 22-10-2019 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sky123
Imagination is ego...

Not exactly.
The imagination creates all the things that we think about that are not yet here and now as well as 99% of are thinking process in general.
The ego is Latin for I meaning identity/ personality which is created as a tool by the imagination but it is a byproduct of the imagination therefore not the same thing

Busby 22-10-2019 11:41 AM

Quote:

Imagination is ego...

Your ego (and mine, and Fred's) is sitting in a small corner of our imagination. It's a tiny light in the planet's human imagination and one teeny-weeny twinkle of the universe's imagination.

hallow 22-10-2019 12:25 PM

When we're thinking about "ego" are we talking about the actual definition of it? Or ego as something else? Just want to make sure because sometimes words change definition.

sky 22-10-2019 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAYA EL
Not exactly.
The imagination creates all the things that we think about that are not yet here and now as well as 99% of are thinking process in general.
The ego is Latin for I meaning identity/ personality which is created as a tool by the imagination but it is a byproduct of the imagination therefore not the same thing

Let's agree to differ :smile:

Lorelyen 22-10-2019 03:10 PM

Ego gets such bad press here. Without one an entity has no identity. They'd have no public face.

When you speak of ego and imagination remember that they exist only because of the sum total of your life experiences (and if you so believe, past lives) and how you assimilated them, much of the action stored well away from the "conscious mind" if you use Freud's model of mind.

Bibo ergo sum. :smile:

ImthatIm 22-10-2019 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorelyen

" I don't drink therefore I ain't "

ImthatIm 22-10-2019 04:13 PM

Quote:

Imagination is ego...

Thanks, just inspired me to listen to the Lennon song.

sky 22-10-2019 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImthatIm
Thanks, just inspired me to listen to the Lennon song.

' And the world will be as one '
Without ego :smile:

Greenslade 22-10-2019 07:51 PM

Quote:

It depends. With ego-death the ego is no longer responsible for beliefs, and similarly (but far more cool) with transcending the ego. On the other hand, the ego supposedly winks out of existence when people use the label "Spiritual," so after any of those three events then no it does not.

The only definition I've seen on this forum ever was that the ego is cognitive function, and the same person stated that there were people who operated beyond their cognitive function/ego.

In the forum parlance of the ego being the bad guy that people can point a finger at and feel better about themselves, the ego does create new belief systems, modifes existing belief systems and changes definitions that have been stolen from the likes of psychology and science for its own agenda, often leading to confusion and misunderstanding.

Being an heretic and mentioning Jung - who is one of the fathers of psychoanalysis - the "contents" of the ego (and not the ego itself" are responsible for our beliefs and/or modifying existing belief systems and is one of the foundations of our reality. In simple terms, Jung says that the ego is "A sense of I am," and what that does is essentially give us a point of reference for our experiential existence. But because it's Jung and Jung is not an Ascended Master (even though the models of "self-> ego -> contents" are all but the same as Sanskrit).

Staying with a strict Spirituality, "ego" is the wrong word. "Ego" is a Latin word which means "I" and was originally made popular by the afore-mentioned fathers of psychoanalysis, and is therefore inappropriate for a Spiritual Adept. Jung also said that what most people call the "ego" is not the ego itself but the "contents" of the ego. Sanskrit has a few words, one of them being Ahankara/Ahamkara for instance, that is far more relevant here. "Kara" is "any invented thing."

In Bhagavad Gita Lord Krishna says "Air, water, earth, fire, sky, mind, intelligence and ahankaar (ego) together constitute the nature created by me."
I'm not sure how Lord Krishna would respond to ego-death or transcending a part of his created nature.

Another Sanskrit word that some might find appropriate is "Maya" or the false self. Or as Jung might say, an alter ego of "This is my Spiritual me."

hallow 23-10-2019 06:17 AM

Quote:

Ego gets such bad press here. Without one an entity has no identity. They'd have no public face.

When you speak of ego and imagination remember that they exist only because of the sum total of your life experiences (and if you so believe, past lives) and how you assimilated them, much of the action stored well away from the "conscious mind" if you use Freud's model of mind.

I agree, I looked up the definition of ego, it stands for self esteem and self importance. Those two definitions don't seem bad to me. Without them two things one can easily become taken advantage of. And imagination, without that we would be like any other animal on Earth. Living off of instinct alone. Or am I totally off on the definition everyone else is taking about? If you take it at face value why would someone not want you to have self esteem and self importance? Is because people with them make bad fallowers?

Greenslade 23-10-2019 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hallow
I agree, I looked up the definition of ego, it stands for self esteem and self importance. Those two definitions don't seem bad to me. Without them two things one can easily become taken advantage of. And imagination, without that we would be like any other animal on Earth. Living off of instinct alone. Or am I totally off on the definition everyone else is taking about? If you take it at face value why would someone not want you to have self esteem and self importance? Is because people with them make bad fallowers?

Freud and Jung weren't besties, even though Jung was Freud's student. In Freud's model, it's self -> ego -> "contents". What he says is that most people mistake the "contents"of the go for the ego itself, which causes the confusion. So having an inflated "Look at meeeeee" is the "contents" of the ego, or what's in it. That's where the term 'Spiritual ego' comes from. Being a nice, Spiritual guy is also the "contents" of the ego.

In simple terms he says "It is a sense of I am." "I am Spiritual." Essentially what that does is give you a sense of relationship with yourself and the rest of the Universe around you. What's not known in Spirituality is that without that sense of I am, clinically you'd be wearing nappies and being spoon fed because you would have no sense of "I am in need of a pee" or "I am hungry." What the brochures don't tell you is this is what happens when the adepts in the temples actually transcend their egos.

https://frithluton.com/articles/ego/

It's a bit heavy but it has an understanding of how your Spirituality and pretty much the rest of your Life is formed- there's the 'real' "create your own reality."

Jyotir 23-10-2019 02:35 PM

Quote:

If by “belief system” you mean mental or conceptual construct, then any number of these constructs may originate in “ego” which is defined spiritually as the false, separative limited objective cognition of “self”.

The positive or spiritually progressive modification or transformation of existing belief systems would originate in higher consciousness that is infinitely more unitary, comprehensive, and necessarily subjective. This doesn’t obviate a sense of self, as staunch ego-defenders wrongly cling to (as seen in and through ego itself) - but rather, sees and knows ‘self’ as increasingly instrumental of Highest Self in increasing identification with that Will/God/Self, etc. as primary….Oneness in multiplicity as individually differentiated, as an aspect of that Self.

This is what spirituality is - becoming one with all while retaining function of that individuated being in full identification with its native truth-consciousness of the comprehensive omniscient Will of Highest Self - and not merely the preservation of a false limited self for fear of needing a nappy, which is a backwards village superstition that is utterly ridiculous and tellingly puerile (but understandable as a desperate ego-defense).

If “I” am spiritual” - then for the truly spiritual person - in practice as demonstrated, not simply discussing false and fearful intellectual theories as to why spirituality is impossible and unavailable as an avoidant behavior - it is because God, the All, the Highest has provided access to that cognition in and through the differentiated being who recognizes this but importantly, operates as a willing conscious instrument of it, therefore inclusive and dependent on the Highest and what the Highest represents in every status, including as differentiated in any way.

This is what defines “spiritual” - not the mere perpetuation of the separative objective self in and of itself, for instance suggested as a straw-man (ironic) to defend ego’s supposed primary truth as inviolable, as if to say, “I can’t let go of my separative sense of self because spiritual would then mean not spiritual” in a convenient but utterly convoluted evasion of spiritual progression which is exactly the way ego works as a self-preserving limitation; ego does what ego is, and vice-versa.

Consequently, real spirituality is impossible without the gradual or eventual annihilation of ego, as frightening as that may sound to it. That's even a possible definition OF spirituality. That is the inviolable truth, like it or not, or deny it and argue ad nauseam how we cannot, must not and will not let go of 'mummy', because it was mummy who told us to “hold on”, or we‘ll die. But what spirituality teaches us is that by holding on to ego, we are already unavoidably dead.

~ J

lemex 23-10-2019 03:25 PM

Quote:

Thing is, belief systems already exist from early life through association and hearing and learning through hearing, people are introduced to them even before they are aware of other beliefs, it's the gift we are given. There is no choice. It isn't created but already exists. The seed was already planted. In this regard, I think people then seek truth when they sense aspects of conflict and (obvious) disagreement in what they now hear said. Awareness, we entertain it. What is obviously seen in perspective is teachers attitudes are not open to change and so seek neither new or changed belief where others do not. We do not defend beliefs but merely ask certain aspects be explained better.

Greenslade 24-10-2019 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jyotir
If by “belief system” you mean mental or conceptual construct, then any number of these constructs may originate in “ego” which is defined spiritually as the false, separative limited objective cognition of “self”.

The word "Ego" itself is not defined in Spirituality, per se. The word is actually Latin for "I" and is another word that has been ported from another field (this case psychology) into Spirituality. This is where the clarity of definition you strive for becomes blurred. If the Spiritual Aspirant wants to maintain clarity then the word "Ego" has already been defined by Jung, Freud and a few others so there is no need for the Spiritual Aspirant to redefine it.

In Sanskrit the 'false self' is Maya and Samadhi is the transcending of the false self, although in Samadhi Maya is not dissolved but encompassed. Another term in Ahamkara/Ahankara, where Aham/Ahan is the ego and a kara is an 'invented thing', which actually 'mirrors' the Jungian definition of the ego and its 'contents'. Jung was Spiritual himself and both religion and Spirituality were powerful influences in his work.

Exchanging psychological terms for existing religious terms simply causes confusion, which is apparent here.

Quote:

If “I” am spiritual” - then for the truly spiritual person - in practice as demonstrated, not simply discussing false and fearful intellectual theories as to why spirituality is impossible and unavailable as an avoidant behavior - it is because God, the All, the Highest has provided access to that cognition in and through the differentiated being who recognizes this but importantly, operates as a willing conscious instrument of it, therefore inclusive and dependent on the Highest and what the Highest represents in every status, including as differentiated in any way.

Being 'truly Spiritual" is simply identification with the associations of whatever the prhase means for that individual - as does "I am Spiritual." They are both identifications created by the "contents" of the ego as per the Jungian definition, or a kara or created thing as per the Sanskrit. "Spiritual"s simply a label, since all is Spirit.

Quote:

This is what defines “spiritual” - not the mere perpetuation of the separative objective self in and of itself, for instance suggested as a straw-man (ironic) to defend ego’s supposed primary truth as inviolable, as if to say, “I can’t let go of my separative sense of self because spiritual would then mean not spiritual” in a convenient but utterly convoluted evasion of spiritual progression which is exactly the way ego works as a self-preserving limitation; ego does what ego is, and vice-versa.

Unless you have researched into psychology and not merely dismissed it as irrelevant - which is an action of the contents of the ego and not the ego itself - then you would realise that the ego can be the motivator/'driver' of Spiritual progression and not a handicap. The real handicap is an over-inflated ego that thinks it knows but merely indulges itself in its own intentional ignorance.

Quote:

Consequently, real spirituality is impossible without the gradual or eventual annihilation of ego, as frightening as that may sound to it. That's even a possible definition OF spirituality. That is the inviolable truth, like it or not, or deny it and argue ad nauseam how we cannot, must not and will not let go of 'mummy', because it was mummy who told us to “hold on”, or we‘ll die. But what spirituality teaches us is that by holding on to ego, we are already unavoidably dead.

While some eastern religions talk extensively about the dissolution of the ego the practicalities of the situation is very different. I have it on good authority that while there are those who have successfully transcended their egos, they have lost all sense of self. The ideology is that the ego should be transcended, the practicality is that they have their nappies changed and are spoon fed. Certainly that happens from a psychiatric/psychological framework.

Spirituality teaches that anything that has not been appropriately labelled should be summarily dismissed, but this intentional ignorance simply leads to discussions like these and is further reflected in the Spiritual Aspirant's expression of their consciousness. "A wealth of knowledge" is not simply a metaphor, it also has meaning behind it. To the mind, information/knowledge can be currency within Spiritual circles and understandings are used as displays of status. The Spiritual Aspirant - because he or she is ignorant of anything other than their own agenda when it comes to a psychology on which Spirituality is built upon - should realise that intentional ignorance will come back and bite their backside.

Another issue seems to be that Spiritual people seem to think that they are immune to everything other than Spirituality, but really that's a ridiculous framework to cultivate their Spiritual progress, because all they become is dissociative with themselves and that leads to mental health issues that are often subtle yet still present and affective just the same.

Intentional ignorance and denial does not make the Spiritual Aspirant more Spiritual, it only makes the Spiritual Aspirant closed-minded.

Truth is relative to one's own agenda and agenda is a tool of the ego.

hallow 27-10-2019 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenslade
Freud and Jung weren't besties, even though Jung was Freud's student. In Freud's model, it's self -> ego -> "contents". What he says is that most people mistake the "contents"of the go for the ego itself, which causes the confusion. So having an inflated "Look at meeeeee" is the "contents" of the ego, or what's in it. That's where the term 'Spiritual ego' comes from. Being a nice, Spiritual guy is also the "contents" of the ego.

In simple terms he says "It is a sense of I am." "I am Spiritual." Essentially what that does is give you a sense of relationship with yourself and the rest of the Universe around you. What's not known in Spirituality is that without that sense of I am, clinically you'd be wearing nappies and being spoon fed because you would have no sense of "I am in need of a pee" or "I am hungry." What the brochures don't tell you is this is what happens when the adepts in the temples actually transcend their egos.

https://frithluton.com/articles/ego/

It's a bit heavy but it has an understanding of how your Spirituality and pretty much the rest of your Life is formed- there's the 'real' "create your own reality."

Ok that makes sense! Thanks. So would ego be at play here, I raised from birth to believe certain religious beliefs. As I got out on my own I started exploring and asking "why" like a child. You wouldn't believe how many people will NOT give you an answer when you simply ask why or question a thought.

Greenslade 27-10-2019 10:38 AM

Quote:

Ok that makes sense! Thanks. So would ego be at play here, I raised from birth to believe certain religious beliefs. As I got out on my own I started exploring and asking "why" like a child. You wouldn't believe how many people will NOT give you an answer when you simply ask why or question a thought.

You're welcome. Being fed religious beliefs and simply accepting therm is indicative of having a low/lesser ego because you'd simply accepted them. As your ego began to assert itself then it began to question and hopefully it struck a healthier balance that didn't blindly accept but needed the beliefs to make sense to you in your own way. What's known as ego might have happened when you wielded your beliefs to gain status within a peer group.

Oh I would believe how many people will not give you an answer and there are probably any number of reasons for that. What people also don't realise is that beliefs are only a small part of their consciousness and there's been quite a bit of unconscious 'processing' that has gone on prior to them saying "I believe that...." What would probably be the most interesting of threads is one that asks the reasons people have beliefs.

Beliefs are a very intimate part of some people, to others they're wealth and status and to others yet the bubble of an alter ego that's escaping and evading from the 'real world'. Some become as protective of their beliefs as those that are protective of material wealth - people own their beliefs and have invested quite a lot in them. The ego doesn't differentiate between what people won.

hallow 27-10-2019 11:08 AM

Quote:

You're welcome. Being fed religious beliefs and simply accepting therm is indicative of having a low/lesser ego because you'd simply accepted them. As your ego began to assert itself then it began to question and hopefully it struck a healthier balance that didn't blindly accept but needed the beliefs to make sense to you in your own way. What's known as ego might have happened when you wielded your beliefs to gain status within a peer group.

Oh I would believe how many people will not give you an answer and there are probably any number of reasons for that. What people also don't realise is that beliefs are only a small part of their consciousness and there's been quite a bit of unconscious 'processing' that has gone on prior to them saying "I believe that...." What would probably be the most interesting of threads is one that asks the reasons people have beliefs.

Beliefs are a very intimate part of some people, to others they're wealth and status and to others yet the bubble of an alter ego that's escaping and evading from the 'real world'. Some become as protective of their beliefs as those that are protective of material wealth - people own their beliefs and have invested quite a lot in them. The ego doesn't differentiate between what people won.

the balance you mentioned definitely did happen. As far as being within a peer group I am really not in one. Hahaha. The last number of year's I led a solitary life. I did most of my life by choice you could say. Never did fit in one single "slot" When you take beliefs from different areas, your beliefs don't match up fully with anyone's. But I don't mind it. I've really grown during this time.

Lorelyen 27-10-2019 05:41 PM

Quote:

' And the world will be as one '
Without ego :smile:

Yup. One great blob of undifferentiated stuff. No need for a brain as there'd be no interaction, no individual thought or experience. It would solve a lot of human problems....except there'd be no human.

Well, I can't think the planet would be worse off for that! :laugh:

JustASimpleGuy 27-10-2019 09:25 PM

Quote:

Without an ego we'd be in a world of hurt or others around us would. :biggrin:

In the Freudian sense "the ego's job is to strike a balance between the two often competing forces and to make sure that fulfilling the needs of the id and superego conforms to the demands of reality".

Without that balance we would either swing back and forth between extremes or get stuck at one extreme or the other. From a spiritual perspective my take is awareness can be a sanity-check with veto power over ego.

Quote:

Yup. It's all an accumulation of experience over one's life and one approach to the spiritual path is to assess all the habits of mind and sort out the wheat from the chaff, so to speak. At least that's my current take.

JustASimpleGuy 27-10-2019 09:31 PM

Quote:

Yup. One great blob of undifferentiated stuff. No need for a brain as there'd be no interaction, no individual thought or experience. It would solve a lot of human problems....except there'd be no human.

Interesting this came up in this thread because this recently occurred to me in the context of the underlying non-duality, if one subscribes to such a philosophy.

Imagine that non-duality, Brahman if you will, all by its lonesome with no playground to play out and experience its intelligence and creativity.

Greenslade 28-10-2019 07:42 AM

Quote:

the balance you mentioned definitely did happen. As far as being within a peer group I am really not in one. Hahaha. The last number of year's I led a solitary life. I did most of my life by choice you could say. Never did fit in one single "slot" When you take beliefs from different areas, your beliefs don't match up fully with anyone's. But I don't mind it. I've really grown during this time.

Yeah I know well about being the square peg in the round hole, it certainly makes Life more interesting for sure. When you have a healthy ego IU think you can tell when others have the same, and when they don't so much. It's not a criticism for me but a way of better understanding myself - in Haile Selassie's definition of Spirituality it's all about the connections we make to ourselves and others. If your perception of yourself is screwed then that connection goes out of the window, and all this 'ego as the bad guy' only means that people become dissociative. Not a good basis for Spirituality.

Greenslade 28-10-2019 07:51 AM

Quote:

Well, I can't think the planet would be worse off for that! :laugh:

In an ideal Spiritual world, ego would be annihilated, ego-deathed and destroyed out of existence but the brochure leaves something out. The Spiritual gurus that have actually achieved an ego-less state are spoon fed and have their nappies changed, and if they can't experience a state of non-ego without an ego???? Gotta love the irony.

What's also almost always ignored is that if people don't have an ego, they are unable to function. Jung's simplest definition of 'ego' is "It is a sense of I am" and without that we'd be in a psychiatric ward, literally with no sense of "I am hungry" or "I need to pee."

I wonder how that would change Spirituality if people took it on board.

iamthat 28-10-2019 07:53 PM

Quote:

In an ideal Spiritual world, ego would be annihilated, ego-deathed and destroyed out of existence but the brochure leaves something out. The Spiritual gurus that have actually achieved an ego-less state are spoon fed and have their nappies changed, and if they can't experience a state of non-ego without an ego???? Gotta love the irony.

What's also almost always ignored is that if people don't have an ego, they are unable to function. Jung's simplest definition of 'ego' is "It is a sense of I am" and without that we'd be in a psychiatric ward, literally with no sense of "I am hungry" or "I need to pee."

I wonder how that would change Spirituality if people took it on board.

This is a very limited and erroneous understanding of ego and egolessness.

Peace

Greenslade 29-10-2019 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamthat

Peace

And your professional - NOT Spiritual - expertise is????

Jyotir 29-10-2019 01:38 PM

Quote:

Yes it is, with the perseveration of these unfounded irrational distortions - “nappies” & forced feeding a major theme. These evident fixations probably originate in areas that become problematic to discuss on a public forum including Gs’s repeated autobiographical references in his own posts, which would tend to confirm this perspective, but out of respect and compassion we need not pursue that direction further.

However there are the by-products in discussion as projected incessantly in posts evidencing debased and distorted conception, persistent disparagement of, and (apparent) personal aversion to legitimate spirituality.

Also similar in repeated sheer deliberate evasion of legitimate spiritual resources and cogent explanation within both well established theory and practice in various spiritual traditions, in favor of:

The constant demand on others for revision, validation, and rationalization through non-spiritual “professional” and utterly irrelevant contexts (quite odd on a “spiritual forum”), while often leaning heavily on a chaotic diffusion of far-out pop-culture new-age, science-fiction conspiracy theories, and arbitrary scientist name-dropping posed as unimpeachably relevant - it seems that this train of thought will persist.

~ J

Greenslade 29-10-2019 02:45 PM

Quote:

Yes it is, with the perseveration of these unfounded irrational distortions - “nappies” & forced feeding a major theme. These evident fixations probably originate in areas that become problematic to discuss on a public forum including Gs’s repeated autobiographical references in his own posts, which would tend to confirm this perspective, but out of respect and compassion we need not pursue that direction further.

However there are the by-products in discussion as projected incessantly in posts evidencing debased and distorted conception, persistent disparagement of, and (apparent) personal aversion to legitimate spirituality.

Also similar in repeated sheer deliberate evasion of legitimate spiritual resources and cogent explanation within both well established theory and practice in various spiritual traditions, in favor of:

The constant demand on others for revision, validation, and rationalization through non-spiritual “professional” and utterly irrelevant contexts (quite odd on a “spiritual forum”), while often leaning heavily on a chaotic diffusion of far-out pop-culture new-age, science-fiction conspiracy theories, and arbitrary scientist name-dropping posed as unimpeachably relevant - it seems that this train of thought will persist.

~ J

"Ego" is not a Spiritual word, if you are looking for some kind of Spiritual integrity then using a word that comes from psychology and redefining it for your own agenda is not conducive to superconsciousness. You said yourself that we shouldn't redefine established meanings because they cause confusion, and all you're doing here is perpetuating and exacerbating confusion of the urban myth - because really, as far as Spirituality is concerned, the nonsense that's surrounding the ego is nothing but the very definition of the 'bad guy'.

If you want to really understand the ego then I suggest you research Jung or Freud, since those are the fathers of psychoanalysis and those are the ones who borrowed the Latin word and used it in their field. If you want Spiritual integrity then I suggest looking into Ahamkara/Ahankara, which are Sanskrit word that should be more agreeable to the Spiritual Adept. Unfortunately for those that are clearly intentionally ignorant, the Jungian model and the Sanskrit one are the same.

You see Jyotir, it takes a certain kind of ignorance to put across that one is an expert regarding the ego and it's machinations when clearly one isn't and then psychoanalysing those who are resistant to Spirituality.

All you have achieved here is to demonstrate that you are your own definition of ego. Well done you.

BigJohn 29-10-2019 02:55 PM

Quote:

~ J

When I read this, I thought you were talking about yourself.

If you really dislike Greenslade, you can always put him on you ignore list.

lemex 29-10-2019 02:58 PM

Quote:

Peace

I don't see a problem with the idea of the working of ego given. Ego is the thought one has. Ego is individual and experienced as I. Can an example of how that is deficient be given in terms of consciousness? One of the questions I think relevant that has not been acknowledged is and what I have noticed is Ego is also patterned thinking and included in every decision we make. Ego is or holds the thought (and act) of the self by the brain. The view of I am also have attachments to it, I am not worthy or even I am worthy, I deserve, I do not deserve. I am right, I am not right. Ego tells us I am alive. Ego tells me there is nothing else. Ego is limited in the spiritual sense in that we think I is here and I am not anywhere else. Some would say who we are are souls of course, that is the real I. The body is temporary! The Ego wants the body to be real. The Ego perfers the body to the soul. The Ego cannot think beyond itself and does not want to. It will die if it does and so it is based on conscious survival that actually is from the limbic system. In fact ego is something we don't have to think about and is the conscious view of self, important in creating and don't even know we are making it up. What's important in the statement made before of I am this or or that or I need recognizes Ego to creates reality. We talk about this all the time. Who was doing that, why was it done?

So adding to the thought I am, we can add ego is cause and effect related. I am not important, I need to be important. Ego influences decisions to. There are many things ego does. When we say we create reality it is important to know it could have happen anyway. Ego is an illusion in that it is the thinker and doer in that it creates "the" events fulfilling that creates cause and effect. Ego gives rise to what we do and why. Our desires are seen in Ego. Many for whatever reason don't mention Ego is nothing more then thinking.

Greenslade 29-10-2019 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemex
So adding to the thought I am, we can add ego is cause and effect related. I am not important, I need to be important. Ego influences decisions to. There are many things ego does. When we say we create reality it is important to know it could have happen anyway. Ego is an illusion in that it is the thinker and doer in that it creates "the" events fulfilling that creates cause and effect. Ego gives rise to what we do and why. Our desires are seen in Ego. Many for whatever reason don't mention Ego is nothing more then thinking.

Pretty much. The ego essentially gives you a focal point for your existential experience, and because of that you have a relationship with yourself and the external world - and Spirituality. Spirituality comes from - as Jung put it, "a sense of I am." It is that relationship that gives rise to beliefs if you're taking this from a purely Spiritual perspective and therefore the rest of the belief system that any individual is a part of. Identification with Spirituality and any associations from that identification is a part of ego.

Spirit doesn't think it's Spiritual.

The belief that ego has nothing to do with Jung or Freud and that a Spiritual person is 'above' ego is a sign that the ego is out of balance, because an ego that can identify with itself in a stable way is healthy.

Spirituality tends to think it exists in splendid isolation and for the most part Spiritual people have identified with the Spiritual Self rather than the human self. The problem there is that their human self is the 'filter' through which they construct their Spiritual framework and conscious reality, and denying it by annihilating it isn't going to change anything, because often it's very obvious that it's still there.

I was watching a YouTube earlier today that stated that the mind/brain mechanism - and therefore the ego - is an agent of consciousness, which is a top-down approach.

Greenslade 29-10-2019 03:50 PM

Quote:

If you really dislike Greenslade, you can always put him on you ignore list.

Yes to both of those. What we express is an expression of our own consciousness and is seldom the way things really are. A healthy, balanced ego would have been able to process that.

Jyotir 30-10-2019 02:57 PM

Quote:

Big John, (imo) there is no support whatsoever for your conclusion based on what I wrote - including or especially that my comments have never indicated an obsession with involuntary defecation being an ultimate result of legitimate spiritual practice which is utterly absurd, although that is Greenslade‘s repeated and fallacious assertion. Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but if your statement were a bridge, it would collapse, e.g., poor engineering. You may need to consider applying increased, some? any? rigor to the processing and evaluation of ideas and concepts vs. simply reacting with hit-and-run one-liners. Or if you want to explain how your statement holds-up - besides supporting like-minded cohort on a forum (which I understand) - I invite your explanatory comment, assuming you are actually capable and so disposed. But I’m not holding my breath on that, and likewise on my original reply (post # 17) to your OP this thread you yourself initiated.
Quote:

If you really dislike Greenslade, you can always put him on you ignore list

Let’s be clear, there is no social problem as I am not here for repetitive sterile arguments or personality conflict (and that could be taken as a hint to a relative, per your own signature: 'newbie' on the forum). Further, my comments were directed and responsive to member Iamthat, and were related to post content deposited in the thread and relevant to discussion, factually descriptive, analyzed and discussed conceptually, and deliberately avoiding personality issues - including those autobiographical personal self-references often introduced by Greenslade himself (as his prerogative, but for reasons mentioned, extracted by me).

I do not “dislike Greenslade”. Nor would I put him or anybody else on an ignore list, have never done so, and never will. That’s childish imv. Rather, I simply don't respond to him, as I find - and this has been true for at least a few years now - that his posts are largely not credible whether in their internal consistency as reasoned (or not, as is often the case), as practical truth in terms of veracity, or applicability of content to discussion (or real life), and in their apparent motive for interaction as consistently demonstrated…often all 3 (imho!). Meanwhile Greenslade often responds to my posts which is his prerogative as a member and that is fine with me, even if it is a dead-end as far as I'm concerned, the determination of which is my prerogative, which I hope you will respect.

Hope that helps to clarify my position vis-à-vis your comments.

~ J

BigJohn 31-10-2019 04:09 AM

Quote:

. Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but if your statement were a bridge, it would collapse, e.g., poor engineering.

Are you, or were you an engineer? If not, you are not qualified to make such a statement.

BigJohn 31-10-2019 04:15 AM

Quote:

I do not “dislike Greenslade”. Nor would I put him or anybody else on an ignore list, have never done so, and never will. That’s childish imv. Rather, I simply don't respond to him, as I find - and this has been true for at least a few years now - that his posts are largely not credible whether in their internal consistency as reasoned (or not, as is often the case), as practical truth in terms of veracity, or applicability of content to discussion (or real life), and in their apparent motive for interaction as consistently demonstrated…often all 3 (imho!). Meanwhile Greenslade often responds to my posts which is his prerogative as a member and that is fine with me, even if it is a dead-end as far as I'm concerned, the determination of which is my prerogative, which I hope you will respect.

Hope that helps to clarify my position vis-à-vis your comments.~ J . [/color][/indent]

On most sites, attacking another member personally is frowned on.

Peace.

NAMASTE.

Greenslade 31-10-2019 08:56 AM

Quote:

obsession with involuntary defecation being an ultimate result of legitimate spiritual practice which is utterly absurd, although that is Greenslade‘s repeated and fallacious assertion.

Just for the record, I've worked in mental health where people have people have lost any sense of themselves whatsoever, which includes their having to to have a nappie and being spoon fed - not force fed. It is not fallacious and it is not a belief, it happened. I also have it on good authority from another member I trust that this is indeed the case.

As for the other information, here is any amount of information on the Jungian ego and Ahamkara/Ahankara which you may ignore to your heart's content so that you can reinforce this very false agenda-based reality you have of me. I'm happy to be the subject of the discredit/disdain that creates your false reality.

Talking of respect, at least don't misrepresent what I've said, nor take the representations of others and ascribe them to me. It's immature.

Altair 31-10-2019 10:30 AM

I don't use the word 'ego' much, because truth be told I don't really believe in its existence. There is action and reaction. You get angry or irritated about something, or fearful, and some people will claim that's your *ego*, or you are attached to something or someone, and they will say ''It's your ego''. However, there's not a single credible reason to invoke such a thing as an ''ego'' as some kind of identity. The whole concept of *ego* can be dismantled if you observe yourself and how your ''mind'' operates.. :smile: