Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Near Death Experiences (NDEs) (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Scientist Offers Proof of Afterlife (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=141787)

ShivaGoal4444 18-10-2021 03:23 PM

Scientist Offers Proof of Afterlife

Dr. Eben Alexander is a neuroscientist who had a near dear experience after almost dying from meningitis.

He reports beautiful experiences in a Heaven after death.

Now, what is fascinating about his particular case is that at the time he was experiencing these images...his brain was so inundated with disease, that his brain / body, was INCAPABLE of producing those images.

It is medical proof that those images did not occur from any process of the physical body.
I don't know if he took a lie detector to affirm his statements to be accurate, but I assume he either did or would not be amiss to doing so.
It is one of the best proofs of the afterlife.

You can Google his name. He has a website, has appeared on various TV shows, has vidoes on You Tube, maybe a TED talk...reasonably well known.

Lorelyen 18-10-2021 08:14 PM

In scientific method it would have to be repeatable to become a hypothesis.
Looking him up, he seems a bit of a populist and I can't accept his idea that he was brain dead. That means the brain is dead. The clinical definition of brain dead is that the brain has ceased to function.

Here's a brief summary which you can research for yourself:
"Brain death is a legal definition of death. It is the complete stopping of all brain function and cannot be reversed. It means that, because of extreme and serious trauma or injury to the brain, the body's blood supply to the brain is blocked, and the brain dies. Brain death is death."

The key point is that it isn't reversible.

My conclusion, given he's returned to normality with no apparent sign of brain damage is that he wasn't brain dead at all and his near death experience might have needed mechanical support but his brain was alive and well and we have no indication of its imaging capability.

His pedigree is questionable. He may have qualified as a neurosurgeon but his history is checkered. Announcing "proof of heaven" in a populist men's magazine was asking for trouble. Why not "Nature", Scientific American or any of the Neuroscience journals? It also seems he was done for malpractice several times.

I suspect he hasn't been published in neuroscience journals in the UK (the BNA). I have no immediate access to the indices so I can't look anything up - but I see he's been mentioned in a couple of American medical journals more in a debate than research capacity.

There's no mention of any metering of his functions during his NDE that would enlighten us about the degree to which his brain could image so we just have to accept what he says as anecdote of personal experience. That sort of thing doesn't stand up to peer review.

Proof is too strong a word.

Traveler 18-10-2021 09:57 PM

That's called anecdotal because it's his experience. It's not exactly scientific proof. Science has a whole list of procedures that must be met before it declared proof, the most important is that it is reproducible and had quantitative concrete provable data.

His experience sounds exciting and amazing and I have no doubt he had an NDE, but the science community is stringently more skeptical.

Miss Hepburn 18-10-2021 10:26 PM

Hi, Yup, 99% of us know about Dr. Eben..great NDE.
And he has learned how to express himself much better now. :wink:
Scientific is a hard word to use without getting some kickback.

Native spirit 19-10-2021 09:50 AM

I would agree with Miss hepburn and as someone who has had three NDE i dont need proof I know it exists

Namaste

ShivaGoal4444 20-10-2021 01:16 PM

to Miss Hepburn --- Re Dr. Alexander...I have never encountered communication by him that is anything but clear and professional.

to Native Spirit - thanks for your comment. I appreciate what you wrote. I also appreciate you sharing your experience with NDE.

I have had meditative experiences, visions, of the after life.

I did have one NDE, I guess you could call it that. I was doing extensive fasting. And I was "kicked out" of the body. I was in a kind of formless place. I could tell I was being healed. I could also tell that I was under subject of Justice. That I was not just being told to stop fasting so much, but more like being threatened not to do that.

ShivaGoal4444 20-10-2021 01:18 PM

Science and Faith - Not a Conflict

Science and Faith - Not a Conflict

This idea that faith and science are in conflict does not fit the demographics. Belief in God among top professional scientists is about the same as the general public.

The list of Noble Prize Winners in science who believe in God is extensive.

Many great scientists believed God and/or the mystical. They include Benjamin Franklin, Isaac Newton, Nikolai Tesla, and, today, many Nobel Prize Winners in science, and many more.

The book below concludes that about 50% of scientists are religious, and, additionally, many more, while not religious, believe in God.

from this book:
Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really Think
by Elaine Howard Ecklund

Quoting from the article: "In the course of her research, Ecklund surveyed nearly 1,700 scientists and interviewed 275 of them. She finds that most of what we believe about the faith lives of elite scientists is wrong. Nearly 50 percent of them are religious. Many others are what she calls “spiritual entrepreneurs,” seeking creative ways to work with the tensions between science and faith outside the constraints of traditional religion…..only a small minority are actively hostile to religion."
+++
there's A professional scientific study proving that prayer works:

"There is ample proof that prayer works. Many scientific studies have been conducted that validate this observation.

A 1993 Israeli survey following 10,000 civil servants for 26 years found that Orthodox Jews were less likely to die of cardiovascular problems than
"nonbelievers." And a 1995 study from Dartmouth College in Hanover, N.H., monitoring 250 people after open-heart surgery concluded that those who had religious connections and social support were 12 times less likely to die than those who had none."
+++
The Vatican science council, the Pontifical Academy of Sciences, has a long list of Noble Prize winning scientists who believe in God...

++++++++++

ShivaGoal4444 20-10-2021 01:35 PM

reply to Traveler...

first, to my own experience re science. I was pre-med, got into Cornell University. I was an assistant to Dr. Morrison, of Kean University, NJ, doing pollution research in the Arthur Kill. Found the highest levels of mercury ever recorded on the planet (70 ppm). That was 1978.

My Dad's IQ was tested at 160. He was in Mensa. When I was in 4th grade, I was reading Shakespeare, studying Latin and could play chess games in my head. He took me over to meet the Mensa people. I found them creepy and boring and decided to play basketball instead!

My ex was a cancer researcher. She did work in cellular senescence. She used to have me review her NIH grant proposals.

So, while not a working professional in a scientific field, I do have a professional level scientific background and understanding. So, not a novice.

Replying to what you wrote (quoted below). Writing in all caps to set the text out clearly.

"That's called anecdotal because it's his experience."

NO, AND THAT IS ENTIRELY IRREVELANT. WHY? BECAUSE IT IS NOT AT ISSUE. DR. ALEXANDER IS A MEDICAL DOCTOR, A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL, A PROFESSIONAL SCIENTIST. HE REVIEWED HIS MEDICAL CHART WHEN HE RECOVERED AND SAW DIRECTLY THAT THE MEDICAL EVIDENCE WAS SUCH THAT HIS BRAIN COULD NOT PRODUCE THOSE IMAGES.

IT IS NOT SOME THEOREM OR ASSERTION BASED IN INVESTIGATIVE INQUIRY. IT IS MEDICAL INFORMATION. HE WAS A NEURO SURGEON. AN EXPERT IN THE BRAIN. WHAT YOU ARE TRYING TO ASSERT
IS THAT A MEDICAL DOCTOR CAN'T LOOK AT AN X-RAY AND KNOW THAT THERE IS A BREAK IN A BONE. A NEURO SURGEON CAN LOOK AT THE MEDICAL RECORDS OF A MENIGITIS CASE AND KNOW THAT THE
BRAIN CAN'T PRODUCE IMAGES. IT IS NOT SOME EXTREME SCIENTIFIC ASSERTION THAT NEEDS AN INVESTIGATION AND PROOF. IT IS PATENTLY OBVIOUS TO SOMEONE WITH THAT LEVEL OF EXPERTISE. AND, BY THE WAY, NOT A SINGLE PERSON HAS EVER COME FORWARD TO DISPUTE HIS READING OF THE FACTS.

That's called anecdotal because it's his experience.

It's not exactly scientific proof. Science has a whole list of procedures that must be met before it declared proof, the most important is that it is reproducible and had quantitative concrete provable data.

His experience sounds exciting and amazing and I have no doubt he had an NDE, but the science community is stringently more skeptical.

reply to Traveler...

first, to my own experience re science. I was pre-med, got into Cornell University. I was an assistant to Dr. Morrison, of Kean University, NJ, doing pollution research in the Arthur Kill. Found the highest levels of mercury ever recorded on the planet (70 ppm). That was 1978.

My Dad's IQ was tested at 160. He was in Mensa. When I was in 4th grade, I was reading Shakespeare, studying Latin and could play chess games in my head. He took me over to meet the Mensa people. I found them creepy and boring and decided to play basketball instead!

My ex was a cancer researcher. She did work in cellular senescence. She used to have me review her NIH grant proposals.

So, while not a working professional in a scientific field, I do have a professional level scientific background and understanding. So, not a novice.

Replying to what you wrote (quoted below). Writing in all caps to set the text out clearly.

NO, AND THAT IS ENTIRELY IRREVELANT. WHY? BECAUSE IT IS NOT AT ISSUE. DR. ALEXANDER IS A MEDICAL DOCTOR, A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL, A PROFESSIONAL SCIENTIST. HE REVIEWED HIS MEDICAL CHART WHEN HE RECOVERED AND SAW DIRECTLY THAT THE MEDICAL EVIDENCE WAS SUCH THAT HIS BRAIN COULD NOT PRODUCE THOSE IMAGES.

IT IS NOT SOME THEOREM OR ASSERTION BASED IN INVESTIGATIVE INQUIRY. IT IS MEDICAL INFORMATION. HE WAS A NEURO SURGEON. AN EXPERT IN THE BRAIN. WHAT YOU ARE TRYING TO ASSERT
IS THAT A MEDICAL DOCTOR CAN'T LOOK AT AN X-RAY AND KNOW THAT THERE IS A BREAK IN A BONE. A NEURO SURGEON CAN LOOK AT THE MEDICAL RECORDS OF A MENIGITIS CASE AND KNOW THAT THE
BRAIN CAN'T PRODUCE IMAGES. IT IS NOT SOME EXTREME SCIENTIFIC ASSERTION THAT NEEDS AN INVESTIGATION AND PROOF. IT IS PATENTLY OBVIOUS TO SOMEONE WITH THAT LEVEL OF EXPERTISE. AND, BY THE WAY, NOT A SINGLE PERSON HAS EVER COME FORWARD TO DISPUTE HIS READING OF THE FACTS.

It's not exactly scientific proof. Science has a whole list of procedures that must be met before it declared proof, the most important is that it is reproducible and had quantitative concrete provable data.

reply to Traveler...