Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Forum Help (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Why is date of birth a required field in your profile? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=140279)

flow.alignment 24-05-2021 02:39 PM

Why is date of birth a required field in your profile?

Since it's required, you can't add any optional info (like biography, location, interests, etc.) unless the DOB is also filled in.

The reason I'm hesitant to share that is, if the forum or hosting provider suffers a security breach, my DOB and email address would be associated and possibly made public (where it could be cross referenced with other services that I use the same email address with and give those companies more info than I might want them to have).

I'm fine with just leaving it and all optional info blank forever. It just seems like an odd requirement - email address, I can understand, but DOB isn't necessary for a forum to function, so doesn't seem like it should be required.

Miss Hepburn 24-05-2021 03:15 PM

Beats me.
Could have just been the format available?
I never put my real birthday on ANYthing ...unless it's a government type Need.
I have used the same fake birth date for decades for things like this...the 'Unnecessary DOB blank'. :tongue:

Big John? Please, don't say Happy Birthday to me on the Forum, btw.
Tho, I'm sure it's sweet for some people. :wink: Thanks.

bobjob 24-05-2021 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flow.alignment
Since it's required, you can't add any optional info (like biography, location, interests, etc.) unless the DOB is also filled in.

The reason I'm hesitant to share that is, if the forum or hosting provider suffers a security breach, my DOB and email address would be associated and possibly made public (where it could be cross referenced with other services that I use the same email address with and give those companies more info than I might want them to have).

I'm fine with just leaving it and all optional info blank forever. It just seems like an odd requirement - email address, I can understand, but DOB isn't necessary for a forum to function, so doesn't seem like it should be required.

One's date of birth is a requirement on other websites but as it's not checked one can enter any date..... I do as Miss H and don't post information online or on applications that might identify me or anything about me.

flow.alignment 24-05-2021 04:25 PM

Ok, I'll enter a fake date :tongue:

It didn't feel right to enter a fake one and have BigJohn go through the trouble of wishing me a happy birthday on a false day. So if you're reading this BigJohn, feel free to ignore my birthday. :biggrin:

BigJohn 25-05-2021 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
EXCERT
Beats me.

Big John? Please, don't say Happy Birthday to me on the Forum, btw.
Tho, I'm sure it's sweet for some people. :wink: Thanks.

Does that mean..... I can XXXX on you? LOL!
I had to say that..............

As for me, I tell people today is my birthday
so is tomorrow
and so was yesterday.

If you believe in reincarnation and 'do it right', you can have everyday as being your birthday. There is one day, I have 10 birthdays just on that day alone.

bobjob 25-05-2021 07:21 AM

it's a puzzle

I have discontinued wishing members a happy birthday on my other website.

Many just didn't see their greetings anyway so I concluded what's the point in my continuing to send them? :confused:

Others - as we've discussed here - likely weren't disclosing their true date of birth so why wish them happy birthday on a day that isn't the actual date? I found it daft so I stopped.

Miss Hepburn 25-05-2021 02:13 PM

Big John, may I finally tell you ---since this is Forum Help, and you obviously need Help....
lol...:biggrin:...it's Excerpt.

BigJohn 25-05-2021 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
Big John, may I finally tell you ---since this is Forum Help, and you obviously need Help....
lol...:biggrin:...it's Excerpt.

I really appreciated knowing that.
I have been mis-spelling that word all of this time.
I did check, exert is a word but not applicable.
Thanks for the help.

Miss Hepburn 25-05-2021 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJohn
I really appreciated knowing that.
I have been mis-spelling that word all of this time.
I did check, exert is a word but not applicable.
Thanks for the help.

Hey, telling people what to do is 2nd nature to me!:D :wink: I exert little effort.

BigJohn 27-05-2021 02:40 PM

Next,
............. will I remember?