Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Spiritualism (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   any spiritualists here?? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=989)

Leah85 06-10-2010 01:28 AM

Alan Kardec

Yes, you helped a lot. You are very kind and patient with newbies :D

May I ask you, then, what is the position of Modern Spiritualism towards Alan Kardec's work?

Blessings :smile:

mac 06-10-2010 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leah85
(Sigh...) I guess I have mistaken the terms and I'm sorry for that, you are absolutely right. I have already changed my previous post to another section :D

Well, actually I have already visited a Spiritualist Church, in order to overcome the pain of my grief for the loss of two very close family members, and a major depression for events occurring in my life at the moment like serious health problems, end of a very significant relationship and other circumstances. I have heard of people from my circle of friends that were proven by means of mediumship that death is not the end at all. And, if that idea comforted me for a while in relation to my beloved ones, one of them being very young, it also left me anxious in some way, thinking if they have been able to find their "way to the Light" somehow, if they were in peace... (One of them didn't have spiritual/religious beliefs at all, and I was afraid that they just couldn't find their path and somehow have been lost forever, if that is possible anyway).

So I decided to take the chance and went to a Spiritualist Church, hoping for comfort and friendly support, and maybe some words or signs for one of my beloved ones. But instead of that, I was told I was being watched by my grand-grandmother, which I didn't even know at all, and that the answers I was looking for were not supposed to be given to me in that time. And though the woman who was "channelling" was not very specific towards it, it made some sense at that time since I was wondering about questions like if what I was going through was supposed to happen to me in terms of predestination, if I could avoid pain somehow, why I couldn't just stablish a harmonious relationship to a person I loved very much and who I was painfully missing at a moment like that... But the most touching and important moment was when the woman told me "You shall not kill yourself, since that is not what you truly believe; you are just lost in your way, but already are in your way, so this shall not last forever. That's all you need to know for now". And IT MADE SENSE AT ALL, because I was actually thinking about suicide (which I would never consider presently, but I was very depressed and ill at the time). So, I may have not had the answers I was waiting for, because maybe I have to find them on my own, but I don't believe that what she said may have been only a coincidence.

It was not an exactly spectacular experience, like others I have heard of, but it gave me some insight at a moment I felt nothing in my life made sense, I saw only pain and suffer around and joy seemed to happen only in other people's life. I was taught to be strong, faithful and patient. And, sometimes, life is not only about excitement and blessings, and we have to learn somehow to accept loss and change, even when we are not expecting or we don't want to. "Everything will be ok in the end", I was told by a friend, "and if it is not ok right now, it has just not finished yet". I was obsessed with understanding what was happening in my life, and I have learned that some things are not supposed to be understood at the moment and we should just live it the best we can, instead of becoming scared and faithless.

I think of coming back to A Spiritualist Church, since I consider I have reached another path in my journey, in practical and also spiritual terms. My Grand Mother used to go to that same Church when she was younger and maybe because I associate it to her, I feel it is "safe, friendly and natural" somehow. I am just not sure about Spiritualism's links to Christianity since I feel more connected to Eastern religions, but that is something with doesn't worry much. The most important to me is a fuller understanding of the purpose of life and death and live a life full of Love and Enlightenment, and everyone and everything that helps me on that is welcome.

I appologize for my mistake once more, I guess that's why they call us "newbies" I appreciate your kindness.

Blessings,

Leah :cat:

Thank you for your concern - it's an easy mistake to make and one which gets compounded by others who respond but themselves do not understand....

I've just recalled you're writing from Portugal where I believe you may encounter 'Spiritism' rather than 'Modern Spiritualism'. There are no significant differences however although the language may be slightly different (I don't mean it's Portugese :wink:)

If I may speak a little further, the basis of Modern Spiritualism is that we survive our physical death and emerge to live again, and again, and again should we choose. It's an amazingly simple philosophy which when one investigates just a little one finds that so many conundrums of day-to-day life can be understood, in itself helping to deal with the pressures we face.

It is not just 'speaking to the dead' as many will describe it. It's a philosophy for life. Reassurance of survival can come from communication through mediumship with those we loved but who have passed over. That can be an earth-shattering realisation although communication can never be guaranteed - it's not like using a cell phone!

So.....from what you have now told us, maybe you didn't post in the wrong forum after all?

What do you think? :wink: :hug3:

Leah85 06-10-2010 01:59 AM

You are right mac, here in Portugal we find "Spiritism" rather than "Modern Spiritualism", but I guess the difference lies majorly in a language difference more than in a conceptual one.

Looks like I didn't post at the wrong section, after all, and I'm glad I did even if that took me by an idiot :sign10:

As far as I can see, Modern Spiritualism lays on a every-day life support, not only "talking to the death" for curiosity or simply because we miss our beloved ones. I was not allowed, for some reason, or I was not supposed to, get in touch with my diseased brother and grandfather, but I was given somehow a feeling that I was being guided, though I felt in a total loneliness and despair, finding no sense in my losses and no reason for being alive. All I felt was guilt and resentment to myself because I had some issues with both of my beloved ones, and it seemed that now I would never had the chance to give my best to them and let themselves proud of me. But I left that Church with the feeling that I actually had the chance to do that. My lesson then, I believe, was learning to accept and heal myself and it seems I was being guided and helped in that process instead of committing suicide and throw it all away. So I would say yes, that experience had a pratical application in my life.

I think that Modern Spiritualism may give us some kind of insight and orientation, even if communication to our beloved ones is not guaranteed.

In relation to the communication with spirits, whether they are familiar to us or not, I think we should take what they say with caution, since the souls are in different paths of evolution and they find themselves in different levels of awareness (I kept that idea from Alan Kardec's work). It is not just as simple as talking to a spirit and ask him "ok, tell me the absolute truth about the after-death and the creation of souls". That would be nice, but doesn't seem to me that easy at all, right? :tongue:

Thank you so much for your explanation. I'm glad my ignorance turned into a productive conversation :D

mac 06-10-2010 02:02 AM

Quote:

Yes, you helped a lot. You are very kind and patient with newbies :D

May I ask you, then, what is the position of Modern Spiritualism towards Alan Kardec's work?

Blessings :smile:

I 'cut my teeth' on 'The Spirits Book' (compiled by Kardec) but looking through recently, after perhaps 15 years, I was shocked by its archaic feel. That said there is much which is in line with Spiritualist teaching, albeit it written in a modern fashion! But the truth which came from the spirit communicators then is now just as much the truth as it ever was. It has to be said, though, that communicators were not always highly spiritually evolved individuals and their perceptions may be a little mistaken.

Take reincarnation which is declared there as automatic and frequent for all souls - I struggled with this until recent years when 'the penny dropped' that freewill means that we may choose if we have further incarnations when we have reached a certain level of advancement, of understanding.

I am touched that you feel I am patient...thank you for that...:redface: I try my best but often I fail.

mac 06-10-2010 02:10 AM

Quote:

You are right mac, here in Portugal we find "Spiritism" rather than "Modern Spiritualism", but I guess the difference lies majorly in a language difference more than in a conceptual one.

Looks like I didn't post at the wrong section, after all, and I'm glad I did even if that took me by an idiot :sign10:

As far as I can see, Modern Spiritualism lays on a every-day life support, not only "talking to the death" for curiosity or simply because we miss our beloved ones. I was not allowed, for some reason, or I was not supposed to, get in touch with my diseased brother and grandfather, but I was given somehow a feeling that was being guided, though I felt in a total loneliness and despair, finding no sense in my losses and no reason for being alive. All I felt was guilt and resentment to myself because I had some issues with both of my beloved ones, and it seemed that now I would never had the chance to give my best to them and let themselves proud of me. But I left that Church with the feeling that I actually had the chance to do that. My lesson then, I believe, was learning to accept and heal myself and it seems I was being guided and helped in that process instead of committing suicide and throw it all away. So I would say yes, that experience had a pratical application in my life.

I think that Modern Spiritualism may give us some kind of insight and orientation, even if communication to our beloved ones is not guaranteed.

In relation to the communication with spirits, whether they are familiar to us or not, I think we should take what they say with caution, since the souls are in different paths of evolution and they find themselves in different levels of awareness (I kept that idea from Alan Kardec's work). It is not just as simple as talking to a spirit and ask him "ok, tell me tha absolute truth about the after-death and the creation of souls". That would be nice, but doesn't seem to me that easy at all, right? :tongue:

Thank you so much for your explanation. I'm glad my ignorance turned into a productive conversation :D

"I'm glad my ignorance turned into a productive conversation" I wonder if your alleged ignorance was nothing of the sort - just something within you which was waiting to be liberated. It is a pleasure and a privilege to work with someone who clearly has made huge progress in a very few lines...

"It is not just as simple as talking to a spirit and ask him "ok, tell me tha absolute truth about the after-death and the creation of souls". That would be nice, but doesn't seem to me that easy at all, right?" "I think we should take what they say with caution, since the souls are in different paths of evolution and they find themselves in different levels of awareness"

Absolutely bang-on right! But there are more ways of skinning a cat than one....Where's this ignorance you were claiming, eh? :wink:

"My lesson then, I believe, was learning to accept and heal myself and it seems I was being guided and helped in that process instead of committing suicide and throw it all away. So I would say yes, that experience had a pratical application in my life"
Who is helping whom tonight? (my time) I'm sitting here listening - you already have the answers.... :hug3:

Leah85 06-10-2010 02:27 AM

It is so nice to find people like you who are available to help and explain what is not very clear to some of us. You've helped a lot and though I enjoy learning on myself investigating and reading, there's nothing more amazing than findind out on other's experiences that something we thought of or we felt so strongly to be true is REAL afterall, and we were not going mad. It is also good to feel that seeking for a truth or something that helps us fuller understanding life and human condition is not the same as being unsuccessful or unable to normally living in a daily basis.

I am looking forward to find previous posts of your own so that I can learn a little more on your personal experience. You seem very comfortable with this theme and that almost for sure has influenced your journey in a more practical manner. It's not only about "knowing for the knowledge itself", but rather a "knowing how to live better using what we know".

People in the church I went to also practised some kind of "aura cleansing procedures" which involved some prayers, but weren't exactly a ritual. I felt extremely sleepy that day, after the procedure which I was said that was supposed to clean me out from "negative emotional charge" which by themselves could attract lower entities. Some people there seemed a little paranoic to me, but afterall it's all about how each people lives his/her own beliefs, not an issue of a belief system itself.

Blessings and thank you for your kind words and clear explanations! :smile:

mac 06-10-2010 02:46 AM

Quote:

It is so nice to find people like you who are available to help and explain what is not very clear to some of us. You've helped a lot and though I enjoy learning on myself investigating and reading, there's nothing more amazing than findind out on other's experiences that something we thought of or we felt so strongly to be true is REAL afterall, and we were not going mad. It is also good to feel that seeking for a truth or something that helps us fuller understanding life and human condition is not the same as being unsuccessful or unable to normally living in a daily basis.

I am looking forward to find previous posts of your own so that I can learn a little more on your personal experience. You seem very comfortable with this theme and that almost for sure has influenced your journey in a more practical manner. It's not only about "knowing for the knowledge itself", but rather a "knowing how to live better using what we know".

People in the church I went to also practised some kind of "aura cleansing procedures" which involved some prayers, but weren't exactly a ritual. I felt extremely sleepy that day, after the procedure which I was said that was supposed to clean me out from "negative emotional charge" which by themselves could attract lower entities. Some people there seemed a little paranoic to me, but afterall it's all about how each people lives his/her own beliefs, not an issue of a belief system itself.

Blessings and thank you for your kind words and clear explanations! :smile:

My pleasure and my privilege. What you've described in terms of learning by yourself and finding corroboration from others is one of the most satisfying things for me also. As time passes this happens less but as that is happening I have been told that my role is now to help the path of others and I could wish nothing more... As you've accurately observed I am very comfortable with this and other spiritual themes and issues. It's taken a time to get there may I add!!

I have read all the rest of your posting which is very interesting - thank you.

I hope you do find something from my earlier postings which appeals to you although the fortunes of SF have recently been very shaky and much appears lost, maybe irretrievably...:icon_frown:

I also post extensively elsewhere, places I think you may also find interesting. pm if you are interested although in about 12 hours time I will be offline for a few days as we visit the balloon festival....

xxSaffronxx 06-10-2010 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy67
in fact I've been to a Spiritualist service this very evening! :smile:

Hi jeremy

I am considering going to my local spiritualist church, but im a little worried. Please could you give me some insight as to what happens there?

Serenity Bear 07-10-2010 08:34 AM

Hi Im a Spiritualist as well!

Most of the services Iv been to - depending on type - usually follow this format:

Introduction and Opening Prayer
Hymn
Healing Prayer
Reading of text
Hymn
Inspirational talk about the text
Hymn
Introduction of Medium
Mediums demonstration - giving messages to the congregation
Final notices
Closing Prayer
A cup of tea and biscuit offered.

Healing services and demonstration services usually are sligtly different.

mac 10-10-2010 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serenity Bear
Hi Im a Spiritualist as well!

Most of the services Iv been to - depending on type - usually follow this format:

Introduction and Opening Prayer
Hymn
Healing Prayer
Reading of text
Hymn
Inspirational talk about the text
Hymn
Introduction of Medium
Mediums demonstration - giving messages to the congregation
Final notices
Closing Prayer
A cup of tea and biscuit offered.

Healing services and demonstration services usually are sligtly different.

good to hear, SB.

Just a general note, though, that Spiritualism (forum title) isn't just about churches - I'm one of the staunchest Spiritualists you'll find but churches are not my thing.....

But I support church work wholeheartedly.