Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Christianity (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Violence. (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=131817)

BigJohn 10-04-2020 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sky123
If it didn't/doesn't exist we wouldn't be talking about it :biggrin:

Then why did you start a thread on VIOLENCE if it does not exist?

sky 10-04-2020 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJohn
Then why did you start a thread on VIOLENCE if it does not exist?

Of course it EXISTS read the OT plenty there to prove it, so they say :D

BigJohn 10-04-2020 07:58 PM

Quote:

Of course it EXISTS read the OT plenty there to prove it, so they say :D

You claim violence exist today in Christianity but you can not give even one example.

As for violence, much violence has been committed by Buddhists but nobody seems to want to talk about that. Which religion has more violence: Buddhism or Christianity?

inavalan 10-04-2020 10:19 PM

This is the opening post:
Quote:

Why did God condone and order such terrible acts of violence found in the OT? If some believe the Bible to be the ' Word of God ' then you have to believe God was as guilty as the perpetrators or even worse....

A Teenager asked me this question and I answered in my own personal opinion that the OT is not the ' Word of God ' which of course led to more questions and an never-ending conversation which I bowed out off and advised them to do some contemplating....

You should've explained that the "terrible acts of violence found in the OT" are symbolic messages, as everything there is. You have to interpret those stories, like with dreams.

Their value is in the underlying message, not in the form. The church's interpretation isn't necessarily accurate either.

Add to that errors and wording changes during copying and translations, then the individual understanding of each faithful reader, and you can see how the original meaning is lost.

davidmartin 11-04-2020 12:23 AM

for theists the questioning of the morality of violence is something that comes from God. so if any violence appears in the scripture it has to be resolved somehow or other. the key point seems to be that the questioning of it comes from God which is inbuilt into us. It seems better to value these things we have built in sometimes and trust in them to me

BigJohn 11-04-2020 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidmartin
for theists the questioning of the morality of violence is something that comes from God. so if any violence appears in the scripture it has to be resolved somehow or other. the key point seems to be that the questioning of it comes from God which is inbuilt into us. It seems better to value these things we have built in sometimes and trust in them to me

sky123 claims the Old Testament contains a lot of violence.

The first major act of violence mentioned in the Bible was when Cain killed his brother. Neither man was a Christian, Jew, Hebrew, etc.

One can claim this proves Christianity is violent but I do not think any reasonable person would accept that argument.

I had one business in which one relatively high ranking Buddhist paid for two transactions with a check. Both checks were worthless. I helped the County's prosecutors office catch the chap. At that time, he had passed 32 pieces of paper that they were aware of. He pleaded guilty, got probation. Shortly afterwards, I got reimbursed for the two bad checks. Later he had alterations with the police and they shot him done dead.

Because of that incident and other incidents I have had with Buddhist, can we honestly say Buddhist are violent?

I do not think so!

Molearner 11-04-2020 03:24 AM

Quote:

Some Christian Schools have banned some verses being taught, this is one amongst many.

1 Corinthians.

"Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God."

Can you imagine the trauma this verse could cause to Children who actually live in these types of environments through no fault of their own...

Sky123,

There is a difference between Inheriting the kingdom and entering the kingdom.

sky 11-04-2020 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inavalan
This is the opening post:

You should've explained that the "terrible acts of violence found in the OT" are symbolic messages, as everything there is. You have to interpret those stories, like with dreams.

Their value is in the underlying message, not in the form. The church's interpretation isn't necessarily accurate either.

Add to that errors and wording changes during copying and translations, then the individual understanding of each faithful reader, and you can see how the original meaning is lost.

The problem is inavalan some youngsters are unfortunately living within ' Fundamentalist ' and what I would call ' Cult ' Families and they believe every word from the Bible, the mental trauma some must endure is horrendous.

sky 11-04-2020 08:31 AM

Quote:

sky123 claims the Old Testament contains a lot of violence.

The first major act of violence mentioned in the Bible was when Cain killed his brother. Neither man was a Christian, Jew, Hebrew, etc.

One can claim this proves Christianity is violent but I do not think any reasonable person would accept that argument.

I had one business in which one relatively high ranking Buddhist paid for two transactions with a check. Both checks were worthless. I helped the County's prosecutors office catch the chap. At that time, he had passed 32 pieces of paper that they were aware of. He pleaded guilty, got probation. Shortly afterwards, I got reimbursed for the two bad checks. Later he had alterations with the police and they shot him done dead.

Because of that incident and other incidents I have had with Buddhist, can we honestly say Buddhist are violent?

I do not think so!

Yes BJ, I do claim the OT contains a lot of violence and will continue to say so....

sky 11-04-2020 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molearner
Sky123,

There is a difference between Inheriting the kingdom and entering the kingdom.

Yes I know Mo, thanks... :smile:

BigJohn 11-04-2020 08:37 AM

Quote:

Yes BJ, I do claim the OT contains a lot of violence and will continue to say so....

sky123,

The OT is the Old Testament. Why are you posting about Judaism in the Christianity forum?

BigJohn 11-04-2020 08:39 AM

Quote:

The problem is inavalan some youngsters are unfortunately living within ' Fundamentalist ' and what I would call ' Cult ' Families and they believe every word from the Bible, the mental trauma some must endure is horrendous.

Sounds like a cop out?

sky 11-04-2020 08:47 AM

Quote:

sky123,

The OT is the Old Testament. Why are you posting about Judaism in the Christianity forum?

Is it not the same God in both Testaments ?

“Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son” (Heb. 1:1–2). The very God who spoke through the OT prophets speaks through Jesus.

sky 11-04-2020 08:48 AM

Quote:

Sounds like a cop out?

Does it :biggrin:
That's your perception which you are entitled to.....

BigJohn 11-04-2020 09:46 AM

Quote:

“Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son” (Heb. 1:1–2). The very God who spoke through the OT prophets speaks through Jesus.

The God of the Muslims is the same God as Christians and Jews.

Why don't you go about with your 'ax to grind' with the Muslims and Jews?

BigJohn 11-04-2020 09:48 AM

Quote:

I must give you credit: you have a knack for twisting scriptures to suit your own purpose.

sky 11-04-2020 10:57 AM

Quote:

I must give you credit: you have a knack for twisting scriptures to suit your own purpose.

Thanks :D...... But you didn't answer the question.... Is it not the same God in both Testaments ?

BigJohn 11-04-2020 12:42 PM

Quote:

Thanks :D...... But you didn't answer the question.... Is it not the same God in both Testaments ?

Read my answer.

sky 11-04-2020 01:20 PM

Quote:

Read my answer.

So we have a link then between old and new testaments :laughing4: and all other religions...

BigJohn 11-04-2020 03:30 PM

Quote:

So we have a link then between old and new testaments :laughing4: and all other religions...

As you said, [you] "have a link then between old and new testaments :laughing4: and all other religions..." which includes Islam, Christianity, Buddhism, Judaism, Hinduism, etc........

And based on your logic, being all 5 religions have writings that include violence, then...............

sky 11-04-2020 04:43 PM

Quote:

As you said, [you] "have a link then between old and new testaments :laughing4: and all other religions..." which includes Islam, Christianity, Buddhism, Judaism, Hinduism, etc........

And based on your logic, being all 5 religions have writings that include violence, then...............

I was referring to God being the same :smile:

Morpheus 11-04-2020 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlayerOfLight
It's very simple…. The god of the bible is a genocidal sociopath with a narcissistic personality disorder. If you don't live up to his expectations, he'll drown the living sh#t out of you, or he'll have you and your entire family killed and calls it ''divine justice''. The bible itself was probably written by a moron with the same traits.

Violence is about "nature", and the animal/mammal aspect. I've stated that what we call "nature", can be criminal in humanity.

Humanity yet, is the evolved animal/mammal, in "illusory" space/time".

So, I borne out is that sin is not merely an act.
That this organic, animal/mammal situation in which we find ourselves is "fallen", and sinful.
That our true and actual situation involves Spirit, and the angelic. Revelation 12:4 is an example.
And who is the dragon there? It is explained in the book.
Interesting that the "Triune Brain" understanding, including the primary "Reptilian Brain", is being taught in education today.

And regarding your statement about drowning people in the Flood, yes you are correct! Seeing humanity became such the sewer pit at that time. (What about today?)
Yet He showed mercy "slayer", by leaving a remnant alive.
Seems you aren't interested in learning. Like a number on the forum here. You won't escape.

So, in Rev. 12:4 we witness our origins.
"Stars" represent both angels and people alike, from Genesis to Revelation.
Daniel 12:3 is another example and explanation.
This also is the actual situation apart from "Time", which is part of Creation, like Space. Which actual situation many remain ignorant of. And, thereby pollute themselves, immersed in the "evolved" animal/mammal, corpuscular aspect, and manifestation.
As you seem to prefer, by your miserable posts.

Wherein ego and the survival instinct are primary...
Meanwhile what ought to become evident is that we survive.
If science tells us that time is illusory, what does that make of space also, wherein we seem to find ourselves?

Happy Easter to the believers here!
"Christ died once for sins. The just for the unjust, to bring us to God."

JosephineB 11-04-2020 05:19 PM

Morpheus 11-04-2020 05:26 PM

:biggrin:
Quote:

Originally Posted by JosephineBloggs

The call has gone out from the beginning, about freedom and liberty, and peace with God Who is Truth.

"In Whom we live and move and have our being."

And? What did you expect when you began just another inured, miserable post in the Christian forum?
Assent?

So, again I've advocated the definition of "Gestalt".

You remain among the inured, though. And, so be it.

JosephineB 11-04-2020 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morpheus
:biggrin:

The call has gone out from the beginning, about freedom and liberty, and peace with God Who is Truth.

"In Whom we live and move and have our being."

And? What did you expect when you began just another inured, miserable post in the Christian forum?
Assent?

So, again I've advocated the definition of "Gestalt".

You remain among the inured, though. And, so be it.

God bless you Morpheus.

inavalan 11-04-2020 09:05 PM

Quote:

I guess you wouldn't like if practicing Christians pestered you with their proselytizing. Then why would you do this to them? Let them be!

I don't think that you have any statistic showing that Christians are more violent than any other religion adepts, or atheists.

If I were to guess, the practicing Christians are probably less violent. For example many "progressive" activists are way more violent than the average.

inavalan 11-04-2020 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JosephineBloggs

Yep! Fear makes much more victims than many despised sources of violence.

Why? Because our emotions bring onto us situations that feed similar emotions.

You (the generic, impersonal, indefinite pronoun "you") are afraid you'll die because of the virus (this is the actual fear, the fear of dying, not as much the fear of getting the virus), then your chances of dying of any cause increases. The more intense your fear, and the preoccupation that causes it (news, discussion) the higher your probability of demise of any cause is.

Native spirit 11-04-2020 09:31 PM

Please keep to topic and keep it polite

Namaste

Baile 11-04-2020 09:44 PM

What a terrible read, the last few pages. People c’mon! :) sky, you can catch more people with love than with “Honey, yours is a violent religion.” Now how about a friendly thoughtful factual discussion?

First off, let’s admit it’s ridiculous to pull out the flogged and dead Old Testament argument. Besides being a horrible approach to inviting people to converse, it’s a nonsense generalization. And what is this, the 100th thread now on the same or similar topic? So let’s get real here, it’s the 21st C.

Religious people overwhelmingly are kinder and more loving towards their fellow humans. There’s no argument with that. However, a real issue with every belief system, is fundamentalism. That’s where the problems are, not in the religion, in some people and their rabid beliefs. Fundamentalism is hate propaganda. It is real violence. If not physically as it is in many unfortunate cases, it most definitely is emotionally and psychically.

Baile 11-04-2020 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Native spirit
Please keep to topic and keep it polite

Namaste

Just saw this, was typing, thank you.

Lynn 12-04-2020 01:07 AM

Hello Members

If you keep going off on tangents I will like all the Staff here take "serious and final actions". I mean it.

I am dealing with "serious issues" right now with members that have the Virus and that are in isolation and not doing well. I do not have the time to be everywhere "BABYSITTING".

Lynn
SF Admin

Lynn 12-04-2020 01:08 AM

Hello Members

Here is the "Original Topic" No more "image inserts" please.

Violence.

Why did God condone and order such terrible acts of violence found in the OT? If some believe the Bible to be the ' Word of God ' then you have to believe God was as guilty as the perpetrators or even worse....

A Teenager asked me this question and I answered in my own personal opinion that the OT is not the ' Word of God ' which of course led to more questions and an never-ending conversation which I bowed out off and advised them to do some contemplating....

BigJohn 12-04-2020 01:52 AM

Quote:

Cause and Effect.

All of the 'terrible acts of violence' you probably found in the Old Testament were initially created by people who stopped obeying God's laws or who never obeyed them in the first place.

This can be liken to the employer who has an employee who deliberately does 'naughty things' each and every day. Would we be surprised if the employee finally gets fired?

davidmartin 12-04-2020 02:10 AM

the moderators getting involved again, this is a failure.
we are screwing up here, how about some real conversation forget the personal battles, get back to real issues and debate for Christ's sake

sky 12-04-2020 05:24 AM

Quote:

I guess you wouldn't like if practicing Christians pestered you with their proselytizing. Then why would you do this to them? Let them be!

I don't think that you have any statistic showing that Christians are more violent than any other religion adepts, or atheists.

If I were to guess, the practicing Christians are probably less violent. For example many "progressive" activists are way more violent than the average.

Can you point out please any Post that I have said Christians are more violent than any other religion adepts, or atheists....

sky 12-04-2020 06:01 AM

Quote:

Cause and Effect.

All of the 'terrible acts of violence' you probably found in the Old Testament were initially created by people who stopped obeying God's laws or who never obeyed them in the first place.

This can be liken to the employer who has an employee who deliberately does 'naughty things' each and every day. Would we be surprised if the employee finally gets fired?

'All of the 'terrible acts of violence' you probably found in the Old Testament were initially created by people who stopped obeying God's laws or who never obeyed them in the first place. '

So because they didn't obey God's law Violence was the answer, mass slaughtering, rape and pillage, slavery etc: .
What a loving way to demand that you shall love the Lord your God....

BigJohn 12-04-2020 06:12 AM

Quote:

'All of the 'terrible acts of violence' you probably found in the Old Testament were initially created by people who stopped obeying God's laws or who never obeyed them in the first place. '

So because they didn't obey God's law Violence was the answer, mass slaughtering, rape and pillage, slavery etc: .
What a loving way to demand that you shall love the Lord your God....

............ and what would you have expected should have happened?

inavalan 12-04-2020 06:32 AM

Quote:

Can you point out please any Post that I have said Christians are more violent than any other religion adepts, or atheists....

I see, you have a problem with God, not with his followers.

Anyway, I stated my opinion, and I am not interested in an argument.

sky 12-04-2020 06:45 AM

Quote:

............ and what would you have expected should have happened?

That's irrelevant to the question that I asked when I started this Thread...

sky 12-04-2020 06:50 AM

Quote:

I see, you have a problem with God, not with his followers.

Anyway, I stated my opinion, and I am not interested in an argument.

No I wasn't expecting an argument, and I have no problem with God, that idea came from you.

I was asked a genuine question by a confused Teenager and unfortunately I couldn't think of an answer in the short time I had with this Person but it started me thinking, hence the Thread....