Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Christianity (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Violence. (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=131817)

sky 21-10-2019 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJohn
Why do you look upon Christianity as being so bad?

Is Christianity really that bad in your eyes?

Not at all.

BigJohn 21-10-2019 08:00 AM

You surely had me fooled.

sky 21-10-2019 08:03 AM

Quote:

You surely had me fooled.

:biggrin:
As long as I'm not fooled....

Mystic Mark 22-10-2019 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sky123
' He's hard to understand by MANY, because they had NOT come to Know the "TRUE GOD", '

Yes I agree with you, many do not know the ' True God '. the one who would never condone the ' Violence ' in the OT....

Well said.

The “Hand of God” and the “Heavenly Father” are two completely different understandings.

Exodus 4:1-7

John 8:54-55 KJV

54*Jesus answered, If I honour myself, my honour is nothing: it is MY FATHER that honoureth me; of whom YE SAY THAT HE IS YOUR GOD:
55*Yet YE HAVE NOT KNOWN HIM; but I know him:

JOHN 8:40

40*But now ye seek to kill me, a man that hath told you the truth, which I have heard of God: this did not Abraham.

BigJohn 22-10-2019 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystic Mark
Well said.

The “Hand of God” and the “Heavenly Father” are two completely different understandings.
Exodus 4:1-7

Please show me from the scripture sited what the "Hand of God" is and what is the "Heavenly Father". Neither expression is found in the cited scripture.

The cited scripture is"

Exodus 4:1 Then Moses answered, “But behold, they will not believe me or listen to my voice, for they will say, ‘The Lord did not appear to you.’” 2 The Lord said to him, “What is that in your hand?” He said, “A staff.” 3 And he said, “Throw it on the ground.” So he threw it on the ground, and it became a serpent, and Moses ran from it. 4 But the Lord said to Moses, “Put out your hand and catch it by the tail”—so he put out his hand and caught it, and it became a staff in his hand— 5 “that they may believe that the Lord, the God of their fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has appeared to you.” 6 Again, the Lord said to him, “Put your hand inside your cloak.”[a] And he put his hand inside his cloak, and when he took it out, behold, his hand was leprous[b] like snow. 7 Then God said, “Put your hand back inside your cloak.” So he put his hand back inside his cloak, and when he took it out, behold, it was restored like the rest of his flesh.

BigJohn 27-10-2019 04:04 AM

An examination of the Old Testament does have some fantastic laws such as the Jubilee and the Golden
Jubilee. Even today, no government or religion has been able to equal let alone surpass those laws.

Another aspect of the Old Testament is that God's people wrote not only of their great deeds but also of their mistakes.

This took a certain amount of humility.

BigJohn 30-10-2019 05:26 AM

Quote:

Scientist claim the Neanderthal people became extinct along time ago but you and me still have some of their DNA.

As for the Canaanites, the Bible tells a slight different version "And they utterly destroyed
all that was in the city, both man and woman, young and old, ox and sheep and donkey,
with the edge of the sword". (Joshua 6:21) I do not think all the Canaanites were in that city.

But the Israelite's did not listen to God as they did not kill all of the Canaanites......

Today, some people believe genocide was committed on the Canaanites and God is/was evil based upon this example.

Canaanites belief in child sacrifice, men having sex with boys and other 'perversions. That is why
Sodom and Gomorrah
were destroyed. Some people say God did good, whereas others say he did bad. Figure it out, I can't.

I suspect why so many people have animosity toward the Old
Testament might be because they never really studied it.

ImthatIm 30-10-2019 11:14 AM

Quote:

Canaanites belief in child sacrifice, men having sex with boys and other 'perversions. That is why
Sodom and Gomorrah
were destroyed. Some people say God did good, whereas others say he did bad. Figure it out, I can't. [/size][/font][/center]

I always thought Lots wife got a bad rap.

That whole story has a weird flavor to it.

Lot offers his virgin daughters to the men of the city
that were banging on his door to sleep with the 2 angels inside
and then Lots wife gets turn to salt for looking back
when the city is being destroyed and then the 2 virgin daughters sleep
with their Father and have kids to continue the family line.:confused:

WOW! what a story.

Jesus also says to remember Lots wife. She never does get a name.

lot's name means (veil or covering).

sky 30-10-2019 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImthatIm

WOW! what a story.

Edith in some Jewish Communities.

There are definitely some ridiculous verses to be found in the OT, God must have also had a sense of humour :D

davidmartin 30-10-2019 07:16 PM

Quote:

Edith in some Jewish Communities.

There are definitely some ridiculous verses to be found in the OT, God must have also had a sense of humour :D

or God invented humour?

sky 30-10-2019 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidmartin
or God invented humour?

Acts 2:15.
“These people are not drunk, as you suppose, for it is only nine o’clock in the morning.”

Deuteronomy 23:2.
"No one whose testicles have been crushed or whose penis has been cut off may be admitted into the community of the LORD."

Proverbs 11.22.
“Like a gold ring in a pig’s snout is a beautiful woman who shows no discretion.”

:D

BigJohn 31-10-2019 03:39 AM

Quote:

WOW! what a story.

I could address this account...............
but with some having acrimony toward Judaism and Christianity, I prefer relating a modern day account.

I live in one city and another city exist within that city.

One time, that other city was a fun place for some people and for other people, was a place to avoid. The city got over run with people some claim were really nice people whereas others claimed they were drug dealers, prostitutes, etc. Things got so bad, that instead of somebody getting shot over the weekend, it escalated to somebody or somebodies getting killed.

One day I turned on the TV which claimed multiple police agencies were involved in 'cleaning' up that city. I found that hard to believe so I went and looked for myself. There were police on foot, on bicycles, on motorcycles, in cars, in SUVs and a helicopter in the air. The police were from both cities, the county, the State and probably from the Border Patrol.
Each block in that city had at least 1 person being questioned.

Since then, murders in that city are almost non-existent. Rarely do you see a prostitute soliciting
on the streets or somebody selling drugs on the street any more.

Some people claim what happened to that city was terrible whereas others claim is was about time.

BigJohn 31-10-2019 03:50 AM

Quote:

Acts 2:15.
“These people are not drunk, as you suppose, for it is only nine o’clock in the morning.”:D

Sounds pretty bad especially for Peter who spoke these words.

This account, when read in its entirety, makes perfect sense. The account reads:

14 Then Peter stood up with the Eleven, raised his voice and addressed the crowd:
“Fellow Jews and all of you who live in Jerusalem, let me explain this to you; listen carefully to what I say.

15 These people are not drunk, as you suppose. It’s only nine in the morning!

16 No, this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel:

17 “‘In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy,
your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams.

18 Even on my servants, both men and women, I will pour out my Spirit in those days, and they will prophesy.

19 I will show wonders in the heavens above and signs on the earth below,
blood and fire and billows of smoke.

20 The sun will be turned to darkness and the moon to blood before the coming of the great and glorious day of the Lord.

21 And everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.’

BigJohn 31-10-2019 03:54 AM

Quote:

Deuteronomy 23:2.
"No one whose testicles have been crushed or whose penis has been cut off may be admitted into the community of the LORD."

The cited verse is actually Deuteronomy 23:1.

BigJohn 31-10-2019 04:00 AM

Quote:

Proverbs 11.22.
“Like a gold ring in a pig’s snout is a beautiful woman who shows no discretion.”
:D

This scripture provides a powerful punch when displayed with surrounding scriptures.

16 A kindhearted woman gains honor, but ruthless men gain only wealth.

17 Those who are kind benefit themselves, but the cruel bring ruin on themselves.

18 A wicked person earns deceptive wages, but the one who sows righteousness reaps a sure reward.

19 Truly the righteous attain life, but whoever pursues evil finds death.

20 The Lord detests those whose hearts are perverse, but he delights in those whose ways are blameless.

21 Be sure of this: The wicked will not go unpunished, but those who are righteous will go free.

22 Like a gold ring in a pig’s snout is a beautiful woman who shows no discretion.

23 The desire of the righteous ends only in good, but the hope of the wicked only in wrath.

24 One person gives freely, yet gains even more; another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty.

25 A generous person will prosper; whoever refreshes others will be refreshed.

sky 31-10-2019 07:20 AM

Quote:

The cited verse is actually Deuteronomy 23:1.

It actually depends on which Bible you read :smile:

'No one whose testicles have been crushed or whose penis has been cut off may be admitted into the community of the Lord. (Deuteronomy 23:2 NAB) ' is one example....

BigJohn 31-10-2019 11:23 AM

Quote:

It actually depends on which Bible you read :smile:

'No one whose testicles have been crushed or whose penis has been cut off may be admitted into the community of the Lord. (Deuteronomy 23:2 NAB) ' is one example....

....... and if you read the surrounding verses, there is really nothing wrong with the verse.

Deuteronomy 23:1-3 from New American Bible (NAB)

1 A man shall not marry his father’s wife,* nor shall he dishonor his father’s bed.

Membership in the Assembly.

2 No one whose testicles have been crushed or whose penis has been cut off may come into the assembly of the LORD.

3 No one born of an illicit union may come into the assembly of the LORD, nor any
descendant of such even to the tenth generation may come into the assembly of the LORD.

sky 31-10-2019 11:33 AM

Quote:

....... and if you read the surrounding verses, there is really nothing wrong with the verse.

Deuteronomy 23:1-3 from New American Bible (NAB)

1 A man shall not marry his father’s wife,* nor shall he dishonor his father’s bed.

Membership in the Assembly.

2 No one whose testicles have been crushed or whose penis has been cut off may come into the assembly of the LORD.

3 No one born of an illicit union may come into the assembly of the LORD, nor any
descendant of such even to the tenth generation may come into the assembly of the LORD.

Exactly, as I pointed out :smile:

ThatMan 31-10-2019 12:54 PM

Quote:

Exactly, as I pointed out :smile:

I think you just want to point out that some parts of the Bible are actually the interpretations of the Creator through the eyes of man, and I agree, but know this, there was a time and a place for those "laws", they are not universal otherwise we would find ourselves with contradictions.I always use Christ's words as the standard when reading the Bible.

I could not read those violent parts of the Bible, it was always hard for me, even in the case that those people that were "punished" were really evil, I just can't... I am more focused on love and forgiveness than punishment... Those old times were really awful for humanity, people were really primitive and surviving was their main goal in life.

sky 31-10-2019 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatMan
I think you just want to point out that some parts of the Bible are actually the interpretations of the Creator through the eyes of man, and I agree, but know this, there was a time and a place for those "laws", they are not universal otherwise we would find ourselves with contradictions.I always use Christ's words as the standard when reading the Bible.

I could not read those violent parts of the Bible, it was always hard for me, even in the case that those people that were "punished" were really evil, I just can't... I am more focused on love and forgiveness than punishment... Those old times were really awful for humanity, people were really primitive and surviving was their main goal in life.

' but know this, there was a time and a place for those "laws".

Sorry but there is NEVER a time or place for violence even if you think there was.

Where is the time and place for this ?

' Happy is the one who takes your babies and smashes them against the rocks '

One verse amongst thousands that are abhorrent .

ThatMan 31-10-2019 01:24 PM

Quote:

Sorry but there is NEVER a time or place for violence even if you think there was.

I was not talking about the violence.. I was referring to those "laws" that don't make sense... that a man that had his... crushed should not be welcomed... and so on. :smile: I gave my opinion about those violent parts of the Bible, I don't focus on them.

You always get a wrong idea about my messages, it's quite funny :))

sky 31-10-2019 01:33 PM

Quote:

I was not talking about the violence.. I was referring to those "laws" that don't make sense... that a man that had his... crushed should not be welcomed... and so on. :smile: I gave my opinion about those violent parts of the Bible, I don't focus on them.

You always get a wrong idea about my messages, it's quite funny :))

I know exactly what you meant, it's written in your Post :smile:

The Laws which you said had ' A time and place ' are Violent/Cruel and have no place at no time....

ThatMan 31-10-2019 01:49 PM

Quote:

I know exactly what you meant, it's written in your Post :smile:

The Laws which you said had ' A time and place ' are Violent/Cruel and have no place at no time....

You see what you want to see, that's not all people do? We see and hear what we want in order for us to enforce our convictions upon a certain thing that we believe as being true or false.

The violence that you talk about has been long gone, the violence in christianity, created by man, has also been long gone, if you are so eager to disapprove religion, you should focus on the muslim religion, which is the actual cancer for humanity.

If week keep clinging to the past, we will not be present here and now where the actual things are happening.

I know that the Creator is pure love and this is all I need to know, to me, the violence in the Bible is inexplicable and I am not focusing on it.

ImthatIm 31-10-2019 02:38 PM

Quote:

I could address this account...............
but with some having acrimony toward Judaism and Christianity, I prefer relating a modern day account.

I live in one city and another city exist within that city.

One time, that other city was a fun place for some people and for other people, was a place to avoid. The city got over run with people some claim were really nice people whereas others claimed they were drug dealers, prostitutes, etc. Things got so bad, that instead of somebody getting shot over the weekend, it escalated to somebody or somebodies getting killed.

One day I turned on the TV which claimed multiple police agencies were involved in 'cleaning' up that city. I found that hard to believe so I went and looked for myself. There were police on foot, on bicycles, on motorcycles, in cars, in SUVs and a helicopter in the air. The police were from both cities, the county, the State and probably from the Border Patrol.
Each block in that city had at least 1 person being questioned.

Since then, murders in that city are almost non-existent. Rarely do you see a prostitute soliciting
on the streets or somebody selling drugs on the street any more.

Some people claim what happened to that city was terrible whereas others claim is was about time.

Your story makes perfect sense to me.

I think Lot's wife being turned to a pillar of salt has meaning that I cannot see because
it must have a regional meaning from around the Dead sea or from that time period or something.

sky 31-10-2019 02:38 PM

Quote:

You see what you want to see, that's not all people do? We see and hear what we want in order for us to enforce our convictions upon a certain thing that we believe as being true or false.

The violence that you talk about has been long gone, the violence in christianity, created by man, has also been long gone, if you are so eager to disapprove religion, you should focus on the muslim religion, which is the actual cancer for humanity.

If week keep clinging to the past, we will not be present here and now where the actual things are happening.

I know that the Creator is pure love and this is all I need to know, to me, the violence in the Bible is inexplicable and I am not focusing on it.

Some of the violence from the past has not gone, that's the problem you see. It's sometimes lurking under the surface. I don't focus on it personally but I feel sad for some who do and have to through their upbringing / education / families etc:.

ThatMan 31-10-2019 02:51 PM

Quote:

Some of the violence from the past has not gone, that's the problem you see. It's sometimes lurking under the surface. I don't focus on it personally but I feel sad for some who do and have to through their upbringing / education / families etc:.

I understand you and I know that you are talking from your own experience and that you do not want others to experience something like this.Forcing religion on people is bad, forcing religion on children is even worse...

BigJohn 31-10-2019 02:58 PM

Quote:

Your story makes perfect sense to me.

I think Lot's wife being turned to a pillar of salt has meaning that I cannot see because
it must have a regional meaning from around the Dead sea or from that time period or something.

In the example I gave, if some 'innocent' people where on the street when this happened, is it possible some of the 'innocent' would have been detained and possibly arrested?

As for Lot's wife, her heart exposed her to who she really was: She looked back.

sky 31-10-2019 02:59 PM

Quote:

I understand you and I know that you are talking from your own experience and that you do not want others to experience something like this.Forcing religion on people is bad, forcing religion on children is even worse...

No TM I am definitely not referring to my personal experiences :smile:

BigJohn 31-10-2019 03:06 PM

Quote:

Are you confusing violence with rules and/or how Christian faiths interact with various governments?

ImthatIm 31-10-2019 03:46 PM

Here is a quote from the Midrash that puts a better light on it.

Quote:

When G‑d sent two angels, disguised as men, to destroy Sodom,3 Lot invited them to his home and served them food.4 His wife Adit,5 a native Sodomite6, disapproved of his actions.7

Lot asked his wife for salt for the guests and she replied, "Also this evil custom you wish to introduce into this place?” She had no salt in the house and went from door to door asking neighbors for salt for her husband's guests, letting everyone know that Lot had ignored the laws of the city by inviting strangers.8 A short time later, a mob gathered at Lot's door, demanding that he give up his guests to be mistreated.9

Also the Midrash states: "She sinned with salt, and she was punished with salt."

BigJohn 31-10-2019 05:26 PM

Quote:

The verse you cited is Psalms 137:9.

This song was one of many songs the Jews sung while in their Babylonian diaspora. In Revelation, the afflictions levied upon the Jews while in exile resonate repeatedly in that book as Babylon and her variants are mentioned.

Reading the adjoining scriptures, we can get a better understanding as to what is going on.

Psalm 137
1 By the rivers of Babylon we sat and wept when we remembered Zion.
2 There on the poplars we hung our harps,
3 for there our captors asked us for songs, our tormentors demanded songs of joy; they said, “Sing us one of the songs of Zion!”
4 How can we sing the songs of the Lord while in a foreign land?
5 If I forget you, Jerusalem, may my right hand forget its skill.
6 May my tongue cling to the roof of my mouth if I do not remember you,
if I do not consider Jerusalem my highest joy.
7 Remember, Lord, what the Edomites did on the day Jerusalem fell.
“Tear it down,” they cried, “tear it down to its foundations!”
8 Daughter Babylon, doomed to destruction, happy is the one who repays you
according to what you have done to us.
9 Happy is the one who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks.

BigJohn 07-12-2019 03:07 AM

Quote:

The verse you cited is Psalms 137:9.

This song was one of many songs the Jews sung while in their Babylonian diaspora. In Revelation, the afflictions levied upon the Jews while in exile resonate repeatedly in that book as Babylon and her variants are mentioned.

Reading the adjoining scriptures, we can get a better understanding as to what is going on.

Psalm 137
1 By the rivers of Babylon we sat and wept when we remembered Zion.
2 There on the poplars we hung our harps,
3 for there our captors asked us for songs, our tormentors demanded songs of joy; they said, “Sing us one of the songs of Zion!”
4 How can we sing the songs of the Lord while in a foreign land?
5 If I forget you, Jerusalem, may my right hand forget its skill.
6 May my tongue cling to the roof of my mouth if I do not remember you,
if I do not consider Jerusalem my highest joy.
7 Remember, Lord, what the Edomites did on the day Jerusalem fell.
“Tear it down,” they cried, “tear it down to its foundations!”
8 Daughter Babylon, doomed to destruction, happy is the one who repays you
according to what you have done to us.
9 Happy is the one who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks.

In verse 9, who is the "one who seizes your infants"?

Is it God?

No!

It is a composite group lead by Cyrus the Great who destroyed Babylon and freed the Jew.
How this could possibly be confused with God is something I can not understand.

BigJohn 10-04-2020 01:31 AM

Quote:

Why did God condone and order such terrible acts of violence found in the OT? If some believe the Bible to be the ' Word of God ' then you have to believe God was as guilty as the perpetrators or even worse....

A Teenager asked me this question and I answered in my own personal opinion that the OT is not the ' Word of God ' which of course led to more questions and an never-ending conversation which I bowed out off and advised them to do some contemplating....

Why would this bother somebody of another religion?

Or has the person never got healed and moved on?

sky 10-04-2020 05:02 AM

Quote:

Why would this bother somebody of another religion?

Or has the person never got healed and moved on?

I've no idea....

BigJohn 10-04-2020 02:53 PM

Quote:

What violence 'has not gone'?

sky 10-04-2020 03:14 PM

Quote:

What violence 'has not gone'?

The violence that lingers...

BigJohn 10-04-2020 05:23 PM

Quote:

The violence that lingers...

No use asking you to give an example because you will not.

sky 10-04-2020 06:47 PM

Quote:

No use asking you to give an example because you will not.

If the violence hasn't gone then it still remains....

BigJohn 10-04-2020 07:24 PM

Quote:

If the violence hasn't gone then it still remains....

If the violence never existed, it is a moot issue.

sky 10-04-2020 07:33 PM

Quote:

If the violence never existed, it is a moot issue.

If it didn't/doesn't exist we wouldn't be talking about it :biggrin: