Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Philosophy & Theory (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   the ethics and morality of intentional misrepresentation (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=134041)

weareunity 26-02-2020 03:44 PM

the ethics and morality of intentional misrepresentation

Hello all.
As per thread title.

Wondering how intententional misrepresentation may be considered when looked at in terms of ethics and morality?

May not have posed the question very well--hope sufficient to understand however. Apologies if not--will try to clarify if necessary.

petex

ant 27-02-2020 09:23 PM

Hi petex,

Can you give an example?

The question is to broad based and open ended as is.

Cheers

weareunity 29-02-2020 04:31 PM

Hello Elabr8Aspie.
I agree-- contemplating the question immediately sets me in sthg like an uncharted marshland full of ifs, buts, maybes, etc, -- not much to stand on.
Your suggestion could help.Give it a go, suggest a scenario and we shall see where it leads.
The thread is intended as an invitation to explore.
All the best. pete.

ant 29-02-2020 10:27 PM

Hi pete,

The ethics and morality of intentional misrepresentation.

Initially,what sprung to mind,were politicians,the elite.

Then the media,capitalism etc,

Then looking at the bigger picture,the creator.

I see it all serves a purpose,starting at first base.

Alas,there is no need to question,there is nothing to consider.

In it's entirety,intentional misrepresentation serves the purpose of this grand design.

Cheers

weareunity 01-03-2020 11:05 PM

Hello all.
It seems probable that if we consider an act of intentional misrepresentation as bein unethical, we do so in great part because we make the moral judgement that the act of intentional misrepresentation is form of lying.

However, there is more than just the act of lying to be considered-Imo.

There are the consequences of that act to consider.

Intentional misrepresentation seeks to substitute a false narrative to take the place of "reality".--and in doing so deprives who are taken in and mislead of the ability to make judgements on the basis of the actual reality.

Such deprivation. can--imo--be considered as a form of theft, robbing the mislead of their right to make judgements based on actual reality.

petex

ant 01-03-2020 11:38 PM

Hi pete,

Intentional misrepresentation on the human plane,by those who are misguided and still asleep.

Accept the things you can change,accept the things you can't change and the wisdom to know the difference.

Occupy the mind with what's unethical and immoral,keeps the mind in the loop.

Intentional misrepresentation by the creator;

Plant a seed into this corrupt system.

Program,brain wash and install false beliefs,fear and trauma etc.

Lures-addictions,habits,material possessions,money,attachments etc.

Health scare/Mid life crisis,

Find the faith or not?

Rinse and repeat.

Evolve.

My pov.

Cheers

inavalan 01-03-2020 11:41 PM

It depends. This isn't an absolute thing.

Sometimes is better to be nice than honest, truthful, ...

There are people who, behind a righteous honesty, believe that they can hide their insensitivity or worse.

ant 02-03-2020 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inavalan
It depends. This isn't an absolute thing.

Sometimes is better to be nice than honest, truthful, ...

There are people who, behind a righteous honesty, believe that they can hide their insensitivity or worse.

Kind to be cruel not cruel to be kind?

Some people are insecure hearing the truth and for fully good reason/s.

Much to do about there unresolved unintegrated self.

Insensitivity can't construe in the same breath as honesty.

Repression is being nice.

BigJohn 04-03-2020 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weareunity
Hello all.
As per thread title.

Wondering how intententional misrepresentation may be considered when looked at in terms of ethics and morality?

petex

VERY GOOD QUESTION!

FIRST CASE:

I ind out a company called AJAX has as stock pile of widgets. They thought the widgets would sell, but they didn't.

I look at the widgets and find them unimpressive.

I offer the company $.10 per widget and will take them all. It cost AJAX $10.00 per widget. The company accepts my offer. They claim it is better to make a little bit of money instead of making nothing.

I rename the widgets. The new name is Atlantigets. I do some 'magic' over the Atlantigets. Now the Atlantigets radiate with some of the greatest energy one can find. Nothing in comparison can radiate such healing energy. Next I take legal steps that will prevent others from 'stealing' my new product - Alantijets.

Next, I set the price for an Atlantijets to be $75.00.

Sounds like an odd story, but in our realm, I have seen this happen many times.

Is it misrepresentation? Is it ethical? Is it moral?

inavalan 04-03-2020 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJohn
VERY GOOD QUESTION!

FIRST CASE:

I ind out a company called AJAX has as stock pile of widgets. They thought the widgets would sell, but they didn't.

I look at the widgets and find them unimpressive.

I offer the company $.10 per widget and will take them all. It cost AJAX $10.00 per widget. The company accepts my offer. They claim it is better to make a little bit of money instead of making nothing.

I rename the widgets. The new name is Atlantigets. I do some 'magic' over the Atlantigets. Now the Atlantigets radiate with some of the greatest energy one can find. Nothing in comparison can radiate such healing energy. Next I take legal steps that will prevent others from 'stealing' my new product - Alantijets.

Next, I set the price for an Atlantijets to be $75.00.

Sounds like an odd story, but in our realm, I have seen this happen many times.

Is it misrepresentation? Is it ethical? Is it moral?

Your example seems to be just seizing a business opportunity, and applying intelligent marketing. I don't see it as misrepresentation.

I remember a story of a jewelry maker about her beginnings. She made a bunch of nice earnings she couldn't sell, until somebody explained her that she picked a price range too high for somebody to buy them without thinking, and too low for somebody to buy to gift them to a girlfriend, or for a special occasion. The jewelry maker then quadrupled the price, and not only sold them all, but got a big order from a luxury retailer. Exactly the same models!

I'd call misrepresentation the lying, including by omission, with the purpose of inflicting a prejudice to somebody.

One common lie is comforting somebody with "it will work out", when you know that not to be the case. Is it misrepresentation? I don't think so. Thinking that honesty is more important, regardless of the situation's specifics, is narrow minded, and can be insensitive, mean, cruel, ...