Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   The Sanctuary (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   List of coping mechanisms thread (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=40481)

Izz 03-09-2012 06:04 PM

List of coping mechanisms thread

What are your list of coping mechanisms? Things that help you get through even tough times, here's a few of mine;
  • My reminder of my passion by my boyfriend
  • Being more spiritually, personally and practically in touch with my role as an author and being reminded of it

Emmalevine 03-09-2012 06:20 PM

SF and music.

Mayflow 03-09-2012 06:31 PM

Believing within myself and trusting myself.

Neville 03-09-2012 06:49 PM

Counting to Ten mentally while taking a couple of deep breaths.

Kaere 03-09-2012 07:00 PM

- do something active
- remember to breathe
- just get it done
- practice acceptance

shadedragon 03-09-2012 08:04 PM

Looking around and seeing how much I have already..
Focus on stepping forward and taking a breath or two..
Praying to the Universe..
Knowing that things could be a lot worse, and that they can become a lot better..
and making someone else's day a little better, the more smiles, happiness, laughter, the precious moments in life, the more I realize that my life is getting better and better.
If things just fall way out of hand.. I ask for help, I ask for someone to talk to.. and I recall all the moments when times were tougher, and recall that many others have faced far worse, and I am thankful I have the help I receive.

Belle 06-09-2012 08:02 PM

Knowing where I have come from and that it is for a purpose. I have to believe that.

amy green 06-09-2012 08:17 PM

- Reminding myself of my strengths, e.g. what I have already come through

- Perspective....look up at the night sky

- Balance: Never lose sense of humour - find something that makes me smile..laugh even
(I keep a list of good jokes and record fav comedy programmes)

- Reconnect to love (dissipates the fear/anxiety)

Nameless 07-09-2012 12:41 PM

These are my new coping mechanisms:

FEELING my emotions and letting them run their course and not stuffing them down anymore - my feelings are the most important part of my life and not dealing with them leads me into trouble

CONNECTING with spirit and asking for their help if I need help

BEING GRATEFUL for my family and the love we share and the joy and faith and happiness that we have uncovered in the greatest of trials

I am trying (but still struggle with) ice cream... And TV, though I have given it up most of the time :). Those were my old coping mechanisms.

Light.:hug3:

amy green 07-09-2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nameless
These are my new coping mechanisms:

FEELING my emotions and letting them run their course and not stuffing them down anymore - my feelings are the most important part of my life and not dealing with them leads me into trouble

CONNECTING with spirit and asking for their help if I need help

BEING GRATEFUL for my family and the love we share and the joy and faith and happiness that we have uncovered in the greatest of trials

I am trying (but still struggle with) ice cream... And TV, though I have given it up most of the time :). Those were my old coping mechanisms.

Light.:hug3:

Yes Nameless - I meant to say this too (in my post above yours)...maybe I felt it went without saying (?)

It's my first coping strategy actually i.e. it's important to address/face whatever is causing the problem and do what can be done about it - whether this is acknowledgement, new realisation/decision/direction. If the matter can't be dealt with currently (may involve a future situation), then positive distractions are always useful.

Nameless - I "struggle" with crisps ... I am Amy and I'm a crispaholic -
.................................................( it's been 18 hours since my last packet of crisps!) :icon_eek: :dontknow: :sad3: