Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Spirituality (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   Would spirituality exist if people were to be killed if they talked about it? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=143806)

traceyacey12 08-05-2022 01:09 AM

Would spirituality exist if people were to be killed if they talked about it?

I know, a weird question.

I'm just trying to see if spirituality only exists because we allow it, if practicing it would lead to a good experience.

Thanks a lot for your help :)

FallingLeaves 08-05-2022 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by traceyacey12

i think so. In some ways I've always thought, one reason for the eastern masters' reclusiveness is that if mainstream people (such as ordinary politicians for example) caught on to the sheer power available in some of the things they do, they would use all the same techniques they do now (e.g. physical and/or emotional torture) to try to influence them to use that power in ways that are beneficial to either the politician or the state. Which led to a lot of mystery being kept about the well-known paths, and nothing was passed on except to those who would go along with THAT status quo.

And of course there were a lot of people 'persecuted' in various ways in the name of following the judaeo-christian god... but that didn't stop such people either.

From what I can tell there were probably others who went down this road even though they had great fear for their own lives and maybe noone they could share with. Those of us who can take advantage of what is happening today are relatively lucky, with things opening up as they are...

wstein 08-05-2022 03:24 AM

Quote:

I'm just trying to see if spirituality only exists because we allow it, ...

There have been many times and places where people were killed due to their religion. I know of no cases where they wiped them all out. So, yes it would still exist.

Secondarily those who identify more as spiritual rather than religious quite often take a purely person journey (like I did for decades). As such there would be no need to talk to anyone about it.

Quote:

... if practicing it would lead to a good experience.

This part is unclear.

traceyacey12 08-05-2022 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wstein
...This part is unclear.

Hey, thanks for the reply. What I mean by the last part is if we only get spiritual experiences if its not going to lead to death or some other bad outcome

Altair 08-05-2022 08:56 AM

Yes, but there would be less to no vocabulary about it, there would be no structure and no institution.

It would be a bit like animals with a spiritual experience?

Greenslade 08-05-2022 10:10 AM

Quote:

There's an old saying, "God made man, man made religion."

If Spirituality didn't exist because nobody believed in it, what does that say about our Spirituality? If we are indeed "Spiritual Beings on a human Journey" etc, does that mean Spirituality exists anyway? If it does, does that make Spirituality a 'thing' and therefore it doesn't exist? Or do we make a 'thing' out of Spirituality?

hazada guess 08-05-2022 11:18 AM

Spirituality has, and always will, exist.We have only become aware of it with time.:smile:

Moonglow 08-05-2022 12:51 PM

Quote:

Thanks a lot for your help :)

Depends upon how one views “spirituality” and ,as I see it, the social structures in place.

I feel for the most part it is personal and private. Meaning, if the trust and feeling of openness is there, then it is more spoken about. If not, it is kept to oneself or group.

Feel it is not so much what one says as it is how one lives.

Whether one will get killed over it seems more a control of power thing then it is “spiritual” thing, IMO.
“Spirituality” seems to have and continue to exist regardless.

lemex 08-05-2022 02:05 PM

Quote:

Yes, it would still exist it simply wouldn't be openly talked about. A person would think of spirituality and not say anything. In terms of outward appearance yes, inward, no. Of course one might say lie about it because of the need to. I take the question to be would the thought of it exist in the threat of harm. But would I reject it. One would still reject what one may be forced to say. I probably wouldn't say anything out of fear if honest. My thought are always brave : )

Greenslade 09-05-2022 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemex
Yes, it would still exist it simply wouldn't be openly talked about.

If people - as in every single person on the planet - didn't believe in Spirituality would it still exist?