Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Spiritual Development (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Take the Stone Out (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=146330)

Bluediamond56 25-03-2023 01:37 PM

Take the Stone Out

Out of your own eye first before you remove the speck from your neighbor's eye. A gal asked me what I thought of her as a person. You want the truth? Yes she said. I told her. She went on the defensive immediately. People that are close to you, know you. You want the truth try it for yourself. Then write down what they say and work on changing yourself into a more loving person. No time like the present. After all it's what true spirituality is all about.

Redchic12 25-03-2023 01:59 PM

But if you look at it from another angle, that was only ONE persons opinion of you, so you can’t take that as “gospel”. Other people might see you quite differently. For me personally I would get three peoples opinion before I made a decision.

Just a thought.

Miss Hepburn 25-03-2023 03:22 PM

Me? I would NEVER ask anyone that question.
It's like, "Honey do I look fat in this dress?" :tongue:

Matt 7:5 ESV
You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly
to take the speck out of your brother's eye.

Matt 7:5 KJV
Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly
to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

FallingLeaves 25-03-2023 04:57 PM

given how much the exterior world mirrors the world within, it is also possible to take 'random comments' made by 'strangers' to heart and see what one might be doing wrong... not fun mind you.... but possible...

iamthat 25-03-2023 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluediamond56
A gal asked me what I thought of her as a person. You want the truth? Yes she said. I told her. She went on the defensive immediately.

Maybe a better response would have been "It doesn't matter what I think of you as a person. What do you think of yourself?"

We are all mirrors for each other, and we see different aspects of ourselves reflected in those around us. But how many of us are sufficiently clear in ourselves to provide an undistorted reflection for others?

We can read many stories about spiritual teachers and their disciples. True spiritual teachers have a clarity which allows them to be a mirror for their disciples to see themselves reflected without any distortion from the teacher.

Peace

Native spirit 25-03-2023 09:03 PM

I would agree with iamthat

Namaste

Starman 26-03-2023 05:14 AM

If when asking such questions, if I hear the same kind of answer from more then one person over time, then I give it more validity, but if it is an isolated answer from one person, an answer which I have never heard before from anyone else who I have asked, then I take it as solely that persons’ perspective and it probably has nothing to do with me.

When you ask a person to be truthful you should understand that they are being truthful from their point of view. If you like the outfit you are wearing what does it matter if others don’t like it? Do we really dress to impress others? There is a Zen Buddhist saying; “it is better to see yourself clearly then to be concerned about how others see you.”

Redchic12 26-03-2023 10:48 AM

Totally agree with Starman.

pixiedust 26-03-2023 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamthat
We can read many stories about spiritual teachers and their disciples.
True spiritual teachers have a clarity which allows them to be a mirror for their disciples to see themselves reflected
without any distortion from the teacher. Peace

Amazing. Good stuff.

Molearner 27-03-2023 12:50 PM

Maybe true love is more dependent on the ability to forgive rather than the ability to admire…