Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Beliefs (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Who or what am I? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=139987)

Ewwerrin 24-04-2021 01:46 AM

Who or what am I?

who is I?
If I look at myself in the mirror, who is looking at me? Is it my brain? Can I open up my brain and find myself in there? Who is that is really there inside that head? My thoughts? If it is my thoughts, then who is perceiving those thoughts? my awareness? Then who is the one who becomes aware of their own awareness?
And who is the one that becomes aware of the one who becomes aware of their own awareness?

pixiedust 24-04-2021 04:30 AM

Ewwerrin,

You can't see your eyes, but you can use them. You can't demand to know the unknown, but you can rest into it. If you are interested in inquiry, there are teachers such as Sri Nisargardatta who offer good teachings. Zen Buddhism also offers a good history here too in koan work.

sky 24-04-2021 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ewwerrin
who is I?
If I look at myself in the mirror, who is looking at me? Then who is the one who becomes aware of their own awareness?
And who is the one that becomes aware of the one who becomes aware of their own awareness?

Who is asking all these questions ? :smile:

BigJohn 24-04-2021 06:51 PM

Ewwerrin,

Good points.

If we look with our eyes in a mirror, we see ourself.
If we look in the mirror, we can use our hands to guide so as to touch our body.
If we use our nose, we might smell ourselves.
If we go inside a sound proof roof, we can hear our heart pumping and our blood flowing.

If we use our intuition ................

Altair 24-04-2021 07:34 PM

These sort of identity questions tend to arise when we view ourselves as something fixed, instead of a collection of verbs. When we are fixated on being a fixed identity we tend to entertain questions like 'who am I?' and 'who is it that is asking the question?' When we observe and analyse other organisms we tend to be more down to earth about it, but when it comes to ourselves we start to mystify things. This is part of being human, it is to be caught up in enchantment.

pixiedust 24-04-2021 08:37 PM

Or it might simply be a sign of someone more mature on the path.

BigJohn 25-04-2021 12:44 AM

......and what is maturity?

Same goes for 'on the path'.
Some are always questioning if they are on the path: why not consider the NOW?

pixiedust 25-04-2021 01:45 AM

There is no contradiction with the now, and if you want to look at maturity, look to the Saints. They will show the way for you BigJohn.

lostsoul13 26-04-2021 09:54 PM

Perception is the self and the self is a perception?? I suppose the account has a perception inline with the hiding theory that even our house is in there-// (just not the same guy?? )—- somehow it’s all in there with us, the forgetful theory rings a bell seen as my acccount seems to forgotten my first house I made??—- I suppose my I am is my twin flame and my mine??(me)

Greenslade 27-04-2021 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ewwerrin
who is I?

'I' is the Jungian ego and the Jungian ego is a 'collection' of all kinds of unconscious processes, one of which is the search for some kind of identity while detaching itself from itself. Thoughts are the thinker, perceptions are the perceiver and there is no difference or separation.

There is no one to become aware of their own awareness, awareness is not owned.