Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Science & Spirituality (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Is Consciousness just a word to describe the 5 senses? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=137827)

WeRDivine 07-11-2020 10:02 PM

Is Consciousness just a word to describe the 5 senses?

Isn't that just a fancy word for the 5 senses? Without the senses we wouldn't be conscious right?

And how do we know we have souls? I can't feel one.

inavalan 07-11-2020 10:22 PM

There is a contradiction between your handle "we r devine" and your statement "... souls? I can't feel one."

Miss Hepburn 07-11-2020 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeRDivine
Isn't that just a fancy word for the 5 senses?
Without the senses we wouldn't be conscious right?

I believe a blind and deaf person would disagree. :glasses9:

We have a Blind and Deaf School in my City, btw.
Almost bought a house across from the entrance...
Big old Oxford looking buildings.

WeRDivine 08-11-2020 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
I believe a blind and deaf person would disagree. :glasses9:

We have a Blind and Deaf School in my City, btw.
Almost bought a house across from the entrance...
Big old Oxford looking buildings.

What if you're born without senses? You wouldn't exist.

Gem 08-11-2020 02:22 AM

Quote:

Isn't that just a fancy word for the 5 senses? Without the senses we wouldn't be conscious right?

And how do we know we have souls? I can't feel one.

According to Buddhist philosophy there is no consciousness without senses or vice versa...

inavalan 08-11-2020 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gem
According to Buddhist philosophy there is no consciousness without senses or vice versa...

But probably that doesn't refer to the five physical senses. There is consciousness in a pebble.

Gem 08-11-2020 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inavalan
But probably that doesn't refer to the five physical senses. There is consciousness in a pebble.

They say consciousness is divided in correlation to different sense objects, so there is eye consciousness, ear consciousness, touch consciousness etc. Hence a pebble is concurrent with senses and consciousness. We can't really separate a pebble from consciousness or senses, or claim that there is any object or self which is consciousness. They claim it all arises together momentarily, and has no continuous or enduring quality. It seems to have some sort of endurance, but actually, everything is destroyed and recreated from moment to moment.

Miss Hepburn 08-11-2020 03:03 PM

Quote:

What if you're born without senses? You wouldn't exist.

I have a question...do you think senses are so important?

Must your vocal chords work?
Do you have to see trees and stars?
Do you have to hear a flute?
But do you have to feel cold and heat? To be conscious?

Just asking.
I say a lot goes on between the ears - no need for this physical 3rd dimension...as anyone on the Other Side will tell you.

JustASimpleGuy 08-11-2020 03:18 PM

A good analogy is that of light. In the vacuum of space it does not appear there is light until an object is introduced, and then the light reveals itself via illumination of the object.

Just like light Consciousness is ever-present and all-pervasive, regardless whether a mind is present to be illumined by Consciousness.

That which we perceive as consciousness is but a reflection of Consciousness. It's akin to the reflection of a face in the mirror. If there's no mirror there's still a face.

EDIT: I'm watching a lecture on Adi Sankaracharya's Atma Bodha and this is verse 21. https://youtu.be/_cC0U43JKn8?t=1279

Due to ignorance, your mind's qualities and activities are attributed to Atma,
like when the Moon is reflected in water, the water's ripples are attributed to the Moon.

Atma = Consciousness (Moon) and what we perceive as consciousness is the Moon's reflection in the water (our minds).

This concept is at the heart of Advaita and called superimposition. We impose the ego-self upon Self. We perceive the limitless as the limited.

WeRDivine 09-11-2020 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
I have a question...do you think senses are so important?

Must your vocal chords work?
Do you have to see trees and stars?
Do you have to hear a flute?
But do you have to feel cold and heat? To be conscious?

Just asking.
I say a lot goes on between the ears - no need for this physical 3rd dimension...as anyone on the Other Side will tell you.

Doesn't conscious mean being aware of things? Then yes you need to feel cold or heat and see things to be conscious.