Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Non Duality (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   The me in me (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=130698)

Uday_Advaita 09-08-2019 02:40 PM

The me in me
 
I came across an interesting quote.

"The me in me is praying to me, to save the me in me, from the me in you"

The quote is attributed to the controversial Swami Nityananda.

What you say?
Namaskar

Phaelyn 09-08-2019 05:25 PM

There are two things that exist. Physical reality and mental reality. Seems to me the quest is to live less and less in the mental reality. That quote seems like it would be from somebody fully in the mental reality.

iamthat 09-08-2019 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uday_Advaita
"The me in me is praying to me, to save the me in me, from the me in you"


Hmm. Could be interpreted in various ways.

Does it make more sense if we express it as:

The me in ME is praying to ME, to save the me in ME, from the me in you.

Where me is the lower limited self and ME is the Higher Self.

So the lower self prays to the Higher Self to save the lower self from its reflections in other people.

One possibility.

Peace.

Uday_Advaita 10-08-2019 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phaelyn
There are two things that exist. Physical reality and mental reality. Seems to me the quest is to live less and less in the mental reality. That quote seems like it would be from somebody fully in the mental reality.


Well said.

The quote actually struck me as a denial of both - as there is neither a me nor a you - Well. What we make out depends on the texture of our individual experience.
Namaskar

Uday_Advaita 10-08-2019 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamthat
Hmm. Could be interpreted in various ways.

Does it make more sense if we express it as:

The me in ME is praying to ME, to save the me in ME, from the me in you.

Where me is the lower limited self and ME is the Higher Self.

So the lower self prays to the Higher Self to save the lower self from its reflections in other people.

One possibility.

Peace.

Very Nice
A completely new perspective.
Namaskar

Shivani Devi 10-08-2019 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uday_Advaita
I came across an interesting quote.

"The me in me is praying to me, to save the me in me, from the me in you"

The quote is attributed to the controversial Swami Nityananda.

What you say?
Namaskar

Whenever I listen to Swami Nityananda, I feel almost certain he is just trying to mentally confuse me on purpose, so as to stop me from thinking about anything he has actually said...please understand. LOL

I watched a very nice parody of him on YouTube the other day, with the cast of Big Bang Theory, which had me in stitches:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yCXDR68MUh0

All that above quote illustrates to me, is that he has tied himself up in so many mental knots, that he can't get out of it.

It also goes to illustrate the fallacy of non dual "logic" in that "I am ME", but another is also "ME" but in Non-Dual awareness, there is no "other" despite
them also being "ME" to be 'saved' from anyway...please understand.

Unseeking Seeker 10-08-2019 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
Whenever I listen to Swami Nityananda, I feel almost certain he is just trying to mentally confuse me on purpose, so as to stop me from thinking about anything he has actually said...please understand. LOL

I watched a very nice parody of him on YouTube the other day, with the cast of Big Bang Theory, which had me in stitches:

http://<b><font color="Red"><font si...nt></font></b>

All that above quote illustrates to me, is that he has tied himself up in so many mental knots, that he can't get out of it.

It also goes to illustrate the fallacy of non dual "logic" in that "I am ME", but another is also "ME" but in Non-Dual awareness, there is no "other" despite
them also being "ME" to be 'saved' from anyway...please understand.


***

Hilarious! Shivani ... you shouldn’t spring these without warning! :D

***

Unseeking Seeker 10-08-2019 08:07 AM

... .... ....

Uday_Advaita 10-08-2019 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
Whenever I listen to Swami Nityananda, I feel almost certain he is just trying to mentally confuse me on purpose, so as to stop me from thinking about anything he has actually said...please understand. LOL

I watched a very nice parody of him on YouTube the other day, with the cast of Big Bang Theory, which had me in stitches:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yCXDR68MUh0

All that above quote illustrates to me, is that he has tied himself up in so many mental knots, that he can't get out of it.

It also goes to illustrate the fallacy of non dual "logic" in that "I am ME", but another is also "ME" but in Non-Dual awareness, there is no "other" despite
them also being "ME" to be 'saved' from anyway...please understand.


Hello Shivani
While I have no reason to differ with you on Swami Nityananda, my close friend who has interacted with him has following to say -

"Swami Nityananda is known for many outlandish statements made nonchalantly. Of course, based on this, many memes float around. But, you should meet him. He can shock you beyond what you can imagine. He is an interesting guy to meet"

All of us respond to various inputs in many different ways. The above quoted statement of Swami Nityananda evoked in me a flash of non-separation between a me and a you. The element of "saving", I reckon is just a metaphor.
Namaskar

Shivani Devi 10-08-2019 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uday_Advaita
Hello Shivani
While I have no reason to differ with you on Swami Nityananda, my close friend who has interacted with him has following to say -

"Swami Nityananda is known for many outlandish statements made nonchalantly. Of course, based on this, many memes float around. But, you should meet him. He can shock you beyond what you can imagine. He is an interesting guy to meet"

All of us respond to various inputs in many different ways. The above quoted statement of Swami Nityananda evoked in me a flash of non-separation between a me and a you. The element of "saving", I reckon is just a metaphor.
Namaskar

Yes, I understand that and I also realise he would be an interesting guy to meet.

In fact, I was quite impressed by his interview with Dr Rajiv Malhotra on the Shaiva Sampradaya and the persecution of Hindu holy men for conducting pujas in the homes of Dalits:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t0JftnvuwSU

There are a few serious offerings, but I need to wade through the mountains of off the cuff, outlandish statements to find them...so I don't bother much with Swami Nityananda anymore because of this.

I have looked through a lot of the modern Shaivite sects with their popular gurus, from Nityananda to Sadhguru (Jaggi Vasudev) and they all just seem just too flashy for me and don't make much sense.

If I lived in India and really wanted to associate myself with something along those lines, I really like Avdhoot Shivanand Babaji and the Shivyog tradition.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JBW8BQpjvlQ


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) Spiritual Forums