Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Judaism (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Why does Yom Kippur come AFTER Rosh Shashonnah (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=75419)

samsara4 29-09-2014 11:49 PM

Why does Yom Kippur come AFTER Rosh Shashonnah

I have always wondered why Yom Kippur comes after Rosh Shashonnah, the New Year.

It would seem that the day-of-atonement should come first as the old year goes out and the new year comes in totally atoned (for lack of a better word).

I know it won't change but I was curious about the sequencing.

RabbiO 30-09-2014 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samsara4
I have always wondered why Yom Kippur comes after Rosh Shashonnah, the New Year.

It would seem that the day-of-atonement should come first as the old year goes out and the new year comes in totally atoned (for lack of a better word).

I know it won't change but I was curious about the sequencing.

Or you could wonder why Rosh Hashanah is celebrated on the 1st day of Tishri, which is the seventh month of the year, not on the 1st day of Nisan which is the first month of the year.

L'shalom,

Peter

samsara4 01-10-2014 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RabbiO
Or you could wonder why Rosh Hashanah is celebrated on the 1st day of Tishri, which is the seventh month of the year, not on the 1st day of Nisan which is the first month of the year.

L'shalom,

Peter

I'm not Jewish so I wasn't wondering about that.

However, the sequencing of Yom Kippur AFTER Rosh Hashanah puzzles me. I'm still wondering about it.

P.S. Although I'm not Jewish, I do celebrate Yom Kippur for another reason. Years ago, I had a near death experience and was in an "irreversible coma" for 3 days before having a miraculous "symptom free" instantaneous recovery. The day I came out of the coma was Yom Kippur. (In addition, I had an awesome mystical near-death experience, but that's a story for another time.)

RabbiO 02-10-2014 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samsara4
I'm not Jewish so I wasn't wondering about that.

However, the sequencing of Yom Kippur AFTER Rosh Hashanah puzzles me. I'm still wondering about it.

But that is something you should be wondering about because the 10th day of the seventh month (Tishri) is identified in the Torah as Yom Kippur, but the 1st day of the seventh month (Tishri) is not identified in the Torah as Rosh Hashanah. It is identified only as Yom Teruah, which by extension of the meaning of the word teruah can be translated as the Day of Sounding Horns.

L'shalom,

Peter

samsara4 12-10-2014 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RabbiO
But that is something you should be wondering about because the 10th day of the seventh month (Tishri) is identified in the Torah as Yom Kippur, but the 1st day of the seventh month (Tishri) is not identified in the Torah as Rosh Hashanah. It is identified only as Yom Teruah, which by extension of the meaning of the word teruah can be translated as the Day of Sounding Horns.

L'shalom,

Peter

That is not something about which I am going to spend any more time wondering about. I have yet to hear a meaningful answer. Perhaps, no one knows why it is this way. That does not speak well for the masses or their leaders.

samsara4 12-10-2014 01:38 PM

Having said that, I do celebrate Yom Kippur even though I'm not Jewish. It was the day that I came out of an "irreversible coma" completely "sympton free" after a life-transforming mystical near death experience.

For me, Yom Kippur is verily my "high holy day" and my day of at-one-ment.

Note: For some reason, I could not edit my previous post which seemed a little harsh upon re-reading it. I had intended to add this as an addendum to that post but couldn't.

Clear Blue Sky 04-06-2015 05:24 AM

LOL .... why am I laughing? Perhaps your 'some reason' answers your question. The old post was harsh. You wanted to 'addend append' at the end of the old post with your statement, but 'for some reason' it would not let you add to the harshness, but you needed to balance/balm it off with a 'fresh start'.

And that perhaps is your answer. Atonement is meant for the purpose of a FRESH START. :) Its not about sluffing off the old and tattered. It is about stepping into the newness. "How beautiful, when brothers live together in harmony. There the L*RD bestows his blessing, even peace forevermore." That is the spirit in which 'atonement' is to be approached: in the light of the New Beginning.

Clear Blue Sky 04-06-2015 05:25 AM

what the * why did that post like 26-27 times?!

The Back Seat 13-10-2015 06:37 PM

Not completely sure but, I think roshashana represents the new year and Yom Kippur is the cleansing for the new year.