Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Spiritualism (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   any spiritualists here?? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=989)

Katiecat 08-11-2010 09:14 PM

I seen on previous pages, people talking about Indiana. Indiana has a few Spiritualist churches in Indianapolis, and then a few more spread out. But to most places other than Indianapolis, it's hard to find one at a convenient distance. I have not been to Camp Chesterfield...its 2 hours away from me. But I hear it is amazing! The closest Spiritualist church from me is an hour away.

I had my first experience at a Spiritualist church this Saturday. I attended a workshop they offered. I was there for almost 9 hours. I had no idea what to expect before I went. It's a small building, and you can't tell much from the outside, of course. But when I went in, I felt like I was in a slice of heaven. The people were so nice, and I immediately felt connected. I learned so much! I'm hoping to go back soon!

I was raised Christian. I have been a part of many Christian denominations trying to figure out where I fit in. I like many aspects of Christianity. I certainly love Jesus, and I embrace him as my Savior. My husband and I (along with our daughter) are Lutheran. We attend a very liberal church. My husband has no interest in communicating with the other side. I will give him credit, though, he gave it a go. He used a pendulum for a while, and was better with it than I am. He seems to have spiritual gifts. He just has no interest...which is OK. He supports me in learning whatever my heart desires. I'm just thankful he does not draw a line with it and expect me to believe exactly the same as he does.

Here is my problem I now have. I want to embrace Spiritualism while still maintaining my Christian faith and relationship with Jesus. I know some of you are probably rolling your eyes, but I love both churches! My Lutheran church does not offer enough for me, spiritually speaking. I get bored. I also have gifts...that they would never recognize. I visited my friend pentecostal church recently and had an encounter with the Holy Spirit that really opened up my gifts, and led to my awakening. It's a really long story, there....that spans over many years.

Is it OK, and allowed to do my spiritual growth at once church, while worshipping in another?

Also, with my gifts, I have a hard time not feeling guilty when I read Scriptures like Deuteronomy 18:10-11... There is also a passage in Luke that I have a hard time with. I know this is not what this particular thread is for, but if those Spiritualists here, with Christian backgrounds could send me a pm regarding this, that would be great. Thanks!

mac 08-11-2010 09:42 PM

Certain points made in this thread illustrate the chasm between the US version of Spiritualism and that found in the UK, where it's a formally structured and legally recognised religion.

There are - maybe - some similarities with the UK's Christian Spiritualist church's proceedings and followings but this is anyway a minor church in the UK.

Speaking personally I find Christianity's beliefs and dogma almost totally at odds with the simplicity of Modern Spiritualist philosophy and teachings.

Trying to embrace Christian teachings and beliefs, while at the same time as professing to have an interest in Spiritualism, is - I respectfully suggest - likely to be a hiding to nothing.

Attempts at adherence to both inevitably requires awkward compromises of each.

Katiecat 08-11-2010 10:12 PM

I understand what you are saying....so you understand my struggle, then?

Spiritualism IS a recognized religion here. It's just not as mainstream.

mac 08-11-2010 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katiecat
I understand what you are saying....so you understand my struggle, then?

Spiritualism IS a recognized religion here. It's just not as mainstream.

Yes and no... I understand why you are struggling to reconcile the two but I don't understand why you are continuing with that struggle. :confused:

I think you'll find that in the USA Spiritualism is not formally constituted and recognised as it has been in the UK for the past five decades - unless I've got it completely wrong? And Modern Spiritualism can not for one moment be classed as mainstream on either side of the pond.

No matter and not important for this discussion - my point was simply to show the difference between the ways it's seen on either side of the Atlantic.

The aspect of trying to reconcile Christian beliefs with Spiritualism is altogether an even harder task...although some live with both persuasions.

Katiecat 08-11-2010 11:03 PM

I noticed in the spiritualist church I attended that there were several pictures on the wall of Jesus Christ, as well as the Lord's Prayer.

mac 09-11-2010 09:02 AM

Quote:

I noticed in the spiritualist church I attended that there were several pictures on the wall of Jesus Christ, as well as the Lord's Prayer.

Something you'd be unlikely to find in a traditional UK Spiritualist church but probably in a Christian Spiritualist one.

That can vary, however, because organising bodies vary and individuals may influence the overall tone of a place.

Look behind the facade, though, and neither Jesus (healer, teacher) nor God (as supreme creator) is viewed as in mainstream religions.

Some may find that unsettling because of the effects of schooling and conditioning from childhood etc. Others are liberated from those shackles and move forward.

Katiecat 09-11-2010 02:10 PM

Yes, I know they don't view Jesus as a Messiah. And I can totally understand your last statement about how some can find it unsettling, while others find it liberating. As for myself, what I find liberating is that they don't place certain spiritual gifts as taboo. Where in a Christian church, it's treated as an abomination. As long as I don't have to reject Jesus as my Savior, I would have no problem going to a Spiritualist church. -And from what I have come to understand, I don't. They respect individuality, and people's personal paths. I plan on going there some for their classes. I will not separate from the church that my husband and I go to together, because I know he does not want to change at this time...and I don't want us to be divided.

mac 09-11-2010 05:37 PM

Quote:

Yes, I know they don't view Jesus as a Messiah. And I can totally understand your last statement about how some can find it unsettling, while others find it liberating. As for myself, what I find liberating is that they don't place certain spiritual gifts as taboo. Where in a Christian church, it's treated as an abomination. As long as I don't have to reject Jesus as my Savior, I would have no problem going to a Spiritualist church. -And from what I have come to understand, I don't. They respect individuality, and people's personal paths. I plan on going there some for their classes. I will not separate from the church that my husband and I go to together, because I know he does not want to change at this time...and I don't want us to be divided.

You're bang on right on these important issues. You are welcome to hold whatever mainstream beliefs you choose and still be welcomed into a Modern Spiritualist church or center.

Mediumship - abhorred by the Christian church despite Jesus being a highly accomplished physical medium (and teacher and healer!) - is the staple of Spiritualism's message of survival and the demonstration of it through evidential mediumship.

I wish you all good fortune in finding a broadening of your understanding inside the Spiritualist center you visit.

I hope you will stay on these forum pages to tell us how things are going for you. :hug3:

Katiecat 09-11-2010 09:44 PM

That is what I don't get about Christian churches....they say that we must strive to be like Christ, but forbid us to do the things he did! I don't get it.

I also don't understand why in the OT, scriptures like Deuteronomy 18 forbid visits to mediums and psychics and deem it an abomination...when Christ himself did these things...Isn't that exactly what the Three Wise Men were? These are contradictions that severely bother me. And when I ask a devout Christian these things, they are normally speechless and need to pick their chins up off the floor. Some tell me that I should not ponder such things, and that it's the devil tempting me. But I disagree. I think that all Christians should be asking these questions.

Katiecat 09-11-2010 09:45 PM

Oh, btw, thanks for the welcome. I think I will stick around. :-)

mac 10-11-2010 12:06 AM

Quote:

That is what I don't get about Christian churches....they say that we must strive to be like Christ, but forbid us to do the things he did! I don't get it.

I also don't understand why in the OT, scriptures like Deuteronomy 18 forbid visits to mediums and psychics and deem it an abomination...when Christ himself did these things...Isn't that exactly what the Three Wise Men were? These are contradictions that severely bother me. And when I ask a devout Christian these things, they are normally speechless and need to pick their chins up off the floor. Some tell me that I should not ponder such things, and that it's the devil tempting me. But I disagree. I think that all Christians should be asking these questions.

I don't see why anyone would choose to be a Christian if they have such fundamental concerns about its teachings.....

Alternatives are readily available without such concerns.

It's down to choice - nobody has to go down any path which doesn't ring true for them.

mac 10-11-2010 12:08 AM

Quote:

Oh, btw, thanks for the welcome. I think I will stick around. :-)

I hope you'll also contribute if it's where you decide you want to be?

becomingshaman 10-11-2010 01:29 AM

I was raised a very strong Christian, and have been one for most of my adult life. In the past few years, I've been asking a lot of questions about the Christian faith. I don't have answers...but I feel okay asking the questions. My background is very conservative, so a fear of Hell makes it really hard to even think about asking questions, you know?

Anyway, I am sympathetic with those who identify as Christians but who lean towards spiritual things outside the "approved" kind.

Lovely 10-11-2010 01:34 AM

I was raised this way. I have had many spiritual experiences for as long
as I can remember and my mom read many books on the subject. I also
have a family friend who does too and they both talked about the
subject with me.

mac 10-11-2010 08:35 PM

As a polite reminder, this is the 'Spiritualism' forum which is not just spirituality or, quote: "spiritual experiences", "spiritual things", "Christianity" etc.

Other forums appropriate for discussing Christianity and general spirituality, spiritual progression etc. are readily available on this wonderful SF website.

Katiecat 11-11-2010 02:08 PM

I've been reading about Spiritualism, and beliefs on a specific church's website, that seems to offer more than the other websites that I have seen...and I have taken notes. I really like what I am reading, and it resonates very well with me. If anyone is interested in checking out this website, the addy is: http://www.fst.org/ The side bar has Topics...and when you click on certain ones, even more topics come up. It does have that Christian slant, that mac mentions. I actually think I'm starting to see the "big picture," and am putting some of the ideas I was raised with in proper perspective.

autumnchilde 11-11-2010 08:37 PM

Hi all, Im a spiritualist, I felt a pull to them about a two years ago during the dreg ends of a relationship I felt a tremendous urge to visit a psychic and saw one a mind, body spirit faire the entire time thinking I was being so stupid for going. In fact I almost walked out but I suddenly took the plunge and saw her, had an amazing reading. Suddenly I felt like I could see what was really going on and found myself searching spiritualism on the net found a nearby church and went to a sunday service. almost a year has gone by and im still going most sundays, love going, hardlly get a reading but I find comfort and relaxation and a sense of calm there. Love the services, hate the singing (why are hymns always in such a high key...lol).

glenos 14-11-2010 10:28 PM

The hymns... dire sometimes too aren't they. I wanna say oi, where's the uplifting ones.lol

Katiecat 14-11-2010 11:40 PM

I'm hoping to have enough gas money to attend the Tuesday class at the Spiritualist church I went to last Saturday.

glenos 15-11-2010 07:51 AM

Hi K. Lets hope you get the gas money!
I'm not too sure as to how many Spiritualist churches there are near you but in the UK there's dozens and dozens. If you win the Lotto get yourself over here. You could do a different one every night :0)

G

mac 15-11-2010 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenos
Hi K. Lets hope you get the gas money!
I'm not too sure as to how many Spiritualist churches there are near you but in the UK there's dozens and dozens. If you win the Lotto get yourself over here. You could do a different one every night :0)

G

They're pretty sparse in the USA. A problem for anyone trying to visit one.

Curious when Modern Spiritualism has its roots in Hydesville, NY....:confused:

glenos 15-11-2010 10:29 AM

When I spent a lot of time in Nashville I searched and searched and couldn't find one. Yes, Hydesville, I have been recently Googling it.

mac 15-11-2010 10:47 AM

Quote:

When I spent a lot of time in Nashville I searched and searched and couldn't find one. Yes, Hydesville, I have been recently Googling it.

Some while ago I planned to visit the US churches to compare us and them but the few I located weren't near the places we were travelling.

At the very beginning of the trip, though, I did find one close by in Florida which was in a traditional, prefabricated strip-mall building. Great atmosphere, lovely people and I was given clear evidence which was years later confirmed back in the UK.

Shame the US has so few of ours but far too many mainstream ones....:icon_frown:

glenos 15-11-2010 04:54 PM

Go down any Nashville main street and there will be literally dozens of "normal" churches. All very nicely built and tended to with lovely lawns. Come Sunday many of the carparks would be packed and you know in a funny way I liked it. Ok so not our style as such but at least all these people worshipping the GWS. And all of the recordings of bells ringing out.. if only they were Spiritualst churches (oh boy)

mac 15-11-2010 05:16 PM

Quote:

Go down any Nashville main street and there will be literally dozens of "normal" churches. All very nicely built and tended to with lovely lawns. Come Sunday many of the carparks would be packed and you know in a funny way I liked it. Ok so not our style as such but at least all these people worshipping the GWS. And all of the recordings of bells ringing out.. if only they were Spiritualst churches (oh boy)

I do know what you mean...

In many US towns, Sunday morning is the quiet time on the roads and in the shops - folks are in church and, as you say, the parking lots are near full.

Following the services - often two of them during the morning - there's a pot-luck brunch which is something I've not heard of anywhere in the UK.

It's nice, communal and friendly and I like that part even though I don't care for the religious 'stuff' that goes on....:icon_frown:

By midday Wal Mart is busy, as are McDonald's, Wendys, Burger King, Sonic, Carl's Jnr. et al as folks resume normal life but in their Sunday best clothes. Yuh don't see that over here! :D

Would that we could generate a similar community spirit in the UK's Spiritualist churches. Maybe we could reach new congregations through their bellies by introducing pot-luck brunch? :wink:

More ways of skinning a cat than one, eh? :D

deepsea 15-11-2010 05:21 PM

I found the same in MacKay,Qld,Oz when i was living out there.
Nary a spiritualist church in sight.
Mind,Mackay is a small country town and not much of anything at all.:D
Now Brisbane where I lived years ago,was so different,spirit churches all over the place.
Luckily where I live now,back in the UK,the church is down round the corner from I live,walking distance!
Arn't I lucky?
:wink:
Deepsea

mac 15-11-2010 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepsea
I found the same in MacKay,Qld,Oz when i was living out there.
Nary a spiritualist church in sight.
Mind,Mackay is a small country town and not much of anything at all.:D
Now Brisbane where I lived years ago,was so different,spirit churches all over the place.
Luckily where I live now,back in the UK,the church is down round the corner from I live,walking distance!
Arn't I lucky?
:wink:
Deepsea

Lucky in so many ways, J. :wink:

Katiecat 15-11-2010 06:01 PM

Speaking of pot-lucks....the Spiritualist church that I visited has a potluck every 5th Sunday of the month....when there are 5, of course. And the first Sunday of the month is "bring a friend to church" day.

deepsea 15-11-2010 06:09 PM

Good idea,Katiecat.
We are always encouraged to bring friends to our church.
lovely happy atmosphere there always.

mac 15-11-2010 06:31 PM

Quote:

Speaking of pot-lucks....the Spiritualist church that I visited has a potluck every 5th Sunday of the month....when there are 5, of course. And the first Sunday of the month is "bring a friend to church" day.

Our committees in the UK might like this idea - over to you church people in the UK!

glenos 15-11-2010 06:56 PM

A pot-luck brunch sounds good. Have any of you guys been to the 'Good Friday Rally' of Spiritualist churches? That's a goodun', people from all over, coach loads of 'em.
Sonics.. oh yeah, onion rings to die for if I remember.
Oz, I have a couple of good buddies from SF who live there. A place I'd love to go. Attending a Service in a foreign land, now that would be good. I wouldn't mind visiting a 'Spiritist' church in say South America. That might be a bit interesting.

Tricia 15-11-2010 07:08 PM

Quote:

A pot-luck brunch sounds good. Have any of you guys been to the 'Good Friday Rally' of Spiritualist churches? That's a goodun', people from all over, coach loads of 'em.
Sonics.. oh yeah, onion rings to die for if I remember.
Oz, I have a couple of good buddies from SF who live there. A place I'd love to go. Attending a Service in a foreign land, now that would be good. I wouldn't mind visiting a 'Spiritist' church in say South America. That might be a bit interesting.

'Good Friday Rallies' yup I attended a few, years ago, mind you

glenos 15-11-2010 07:13 PM

Great stuff T. People everywhere, and singing their heads off in the service.

deepsea 08-02-2011 07:33 AM

I've come back to this topic because I am starting to lose faith in spirituality.
I still believe but but in different ways now.

I have been told that if we ask for help from spirit,they will help but I haven't found that so.

Am I right or am I wrong?

Deepsea

Native spirit 08-02-2011 01:07 PM

:hug: Hey Deepsea.

Spirit have a way of giving us what we need not always what we want, it can feel like nothing happens at times, ut remember time means nothing in spirit what seems like months to us could be hours to them, time means nothing so it can seem as though they are not listening but they do,

Namaste

Breezy 11-02-2011 07:43 PM

Deepsea,

Sometimes what we want isn't for our highest good, so we won't recieve. I find it is imperitive to be explicit with asking. I had a client who asked for a car, she was mad that it wasn't her dream car. She didn't ask for her dream car, she asked for 'a car'.

I've not been to a SC in a very long time. I'm going for Sunday service. If you read my post under 'astro-projection' you'll know why. Kinda need to protect my sanity right now, and who better than like minded people!

Blessing to you all,
Breezy

Orbie 05-03-2011 11:22 PM

Deepsea, hope all goes better now for you x

Soul Mentor 26-05-2011 05:43 AM

Hiya All,

Am a spiritualist and have been born with it.......In mah childhood days I had been a very accurate predictor of things and I had visions in my dream time.........I was always so attracted to the supreme power and I'm not at all a believer in religions.......I think it divides mankind.....

Currently have found my mooring and m now into healing and meditations...I have started writting guided meditations as my Master, my Guru, my Archangels, gurdian angels are all pushing me to it.......Looking forward to add much more knowledge in the coming years........

I had a initial difficulty in getting into this arena as I had to leave my lucrative job......but all is settled now as I have a very supportive family & my hubby is my soul mate.......

Love & Light.....

Soul Mentor

NiteOwl 26-05-2011 07:07 AM

I am spiritual. I have been all my life. My mother tried to get us 3 kids into church. I remember even as a child, not feeling comfortable in a church. I'd much prefer to study and memorize stones and wicca spells.

I always knew there was "more" and the answer I needed wasn't going to be in a book, I was going to need a teacher. I know the textbook defifintion of every thing there is to know about chackras, mediatations, auras, etc...but spiritual work isn't just a profession, it's a life style for me.

It's helped me manage my bouts of depression and kick my creative nature in to a career! My mother may have started out wanting us in church every Sunday, but she too, enentually grew in to a beautiful spiritual teacher for myself and others. She encouraged me to read about different religions, talk about my "feelings" and senses about people, and even bought me my first quartz crysal.

Now that I have a spiritual teacher and am being trained professionally, this transition is the narliest (sp? lol) and most transformative of them all. This one is "the one" if that makes sense to some.

I'm so happy to be in a space that I am brave enough to face my demons and clear all that "gunk" out of my space. Finding and developing my spirituality is the one thing that is mine and I hold it so close to me.

I can't wait to see what's around the corner!

no_thing 27-05-2011 07:12 AM

spiritual

omg

what is spiritual?

i am new and i have to ask this question because i think it is far overblown than necessary