Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Meditation (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Mantra Meditation (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=74)

DASA 17-11-2005 12:35 PM

Mantra Meditation

An introduction to Mantra-Meditation by a 'Hare Krishna' monk.

Most members of the 'Hare Krishna' movement spend between 15mins up to two or three hours per day practicing an ancient form of mediation known as mantra-meditation, (also sometimes called 'japa') where you say a sanskrit mantra (in this case the the Hare Krishna Maha-mantra) softly to yourself over and over again :

"Hare Krishna Hare Krishna,
Krishna Krishna Hare Hare,
Hare Rama Hare Rama,
Rama Rama Hare Hare."

(Pronounced - ha-ray, krish-nah, and rar-m respectively)

'Hare' refers to God's energy, 'Krishna' refers to God himself as He who is All-Attractive', and 'Rama' refers to God again as The 'Reservoir of all pleasure'.

By practicing this mantra-meditation it is said that your heart becomes purified of all negative desires and gradually our natural desire to serve God (Krishna) once again becomes manifest. The chanting of any of God's name is said to have this special potency, whether it be Jehovah, Allah, or Krishna and that one need not necessarily change their 'birth religion' to take part in the process.

If anyone is interested in learning more about this simple mediation method please post their questions here and I will do my best to answer them.

Best Wishes,

Dasanudas

heavensent 19-11-2005 02:45 PM

mantras

Hello

I use and teach about all forms of meditation but do use the "so hum" sorry I'm in no doubt I've spelt that wrong (full of cold still!!) and I do find it quite a powerful one, especially when i want to pull in the strength to do spiritual things.

Love and blessings

DASA 21-11-2005 11:21 AM

Re: mantras

"so hum" ... I'm not sure if I've come across that one. Trying to think what it could be? Most sanskrit mantras I know start with the seed mantra 'Om'. As in Bhagavad-Gita where Krisna says "Of vibrations I am Om..."

Om Tat Sat,

Das

Maarkandeya 03-12-2005 01:56 PM

The mantra "SoHam/HamSo" is a very frequently used mantra in the East.

The literal meaning of it is "THAT I AM".

It is generally coordinated with the breath, chanting "SO" with the inhalation and "HAM" with the exhalation or vice versa. Eventually, the two merge so that one no longer is aware of whether they are chanting Soham or Hamso or both alternately, nor does it matter.

Unlike the Hare Krishna mantra, which has a personal devotional quality, the SoHam mantra focusses on the impersonal absolute nature of Reality. It is generally considered that the devotional path is more apppropriate for the majority for obvious reasons. However, the impersonal mantras are equally appropriate for those whose temperment is suitable to that practice. Neither is "better" or "worse" than the other.