Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Quotes & Stories (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Quotes from the Masters and Teachers (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=48806)

Shivani Devi 07-06-2016 06:04 AM

If we're doing 'big things'...welcome to what got me interested in the whole spirituality trip to start with:

William Blake (1757-1827):

Proverbs of Hell

1. In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy.
2. Drive your cart and your plow over the bones of the dead.
3. The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom.
4. Prudence is a rich, ugly old maid courted by Incapacity.
5. He who desires but acts not, breeds pestilence.
6. The cut worm forgives the plow.
7. Dip him in the river who loves water.
8. A fool sees not the same tree that a wise man sees.
9. He whose face gives no light, shall never become a star.
10. Eternity is in love with the productions of time.
11. The busy bee has no time for sorrow.
12. The hours of folly are measur'd by the clock; but of wisdom, no clock can measure.
13. All wholesome food is caught without a net or a trap.
14. Bring out number, weight and measure in a year of dearth.
15. No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wings.
16. A dead body revenges not injuries.
17. The most sublime act is to set another before you.
18. If the fool would persist in his folly he would become wise.
19. Folly is the cloak of knavery.
20. Shame is Pride's cloke.
21. Prisons are built with stones of law, brothels with bricks of religion.
22. The pride of the peacock is the glory of God.
23. The lust of the goat is the bounty of God.
24. The wrath of the lion is the wisdom of God.
25. The nakedness of woman is the work of God.
26. Excess of sorrow laughs. Excess of joy weeps.
27. The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity, too great for the eye of man.
28. The fox condemns the trap, not himself.
29. Joys impregnate. Sorrows bring forth.
30. Let man wear the fell of the lion, woman the fleece of the sheep.
31. The bird a nest, the spider a web, man friendship.
32. The selfish, smiling fool, and the sullen, frowning fool shall be both thought wise, that they may be a rod.
33. What is now proved was once only imagin'd.
34. The rat, the mouse, the fox, the rabbit watch the roots; the lion, the tyger, the horse, the elephant watch the fruits.
35. The cistern contains: the fountain overflows.
36. One thought fills immensity.
37. Always be ready to speak your mind, and a base man will avoid you.
38. Every thing possible to be believ'd is an image of truth.
39. The eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the crow.
40. The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion.
41. Think in the morning. Act in the noon. Eat in the evening. Sleep in the night.
42. He who has suffer'd you to impose on him, knows you.
43. As the plow follows words, so God rewards prayers.
44. The tygers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.
45. Expect poison from the standing water.
46. You never know what is enough unless you know what is more than enough.
47. Listen to the fool's reproach! it is a kingly title!
48. The eyes of fire, the nostrils of air, the mouth of water, the beard of earth.
49. The weak in courage is strong in cunning.
50. The apple tree never asks the beech how he shall grow; nor the lion, the horse, how he shall take his prey.
51. The thankful receiver bears a plentiful harvest.
52. If others had not been foolish, we should be so.
53. The soul of sweet delight can never be defil'd.
54. When thou seest an eagle, thou seest a portion of genius; lift up thy head!
55. As the caterpiller chooses the fairest leaves to lay her eggs on, so the priest lays his curse on the fairest joys.
56. To create a little flower is the labour of ages.
57. Damn braces. Bless relaxes.
58. The best wine is the oldest, the best water the newest.
59. Prayers plow not! Praises reap not!
60. Joys laugh not! Sorrows weep not!
61. The head Sublime, the heart Pathos, the genitals Beauty, the hands and feet Proportion.
62. As the air to a bird or the sea to a fish, so is contempt to the contemptible.
63. The crow wish'd every thing was black, the owl that every thing was white.
64. Exuberance is Beauty.
65. If the lion was advised by the fox, he would be cunning.
66. Improvement makes strait roads; but the crooked roads without improvement are roads of genius.
67. Sooner murder an infant in its cradle than nurse unacted desires.
68. Where man is not, nature is barren.
69. Truth can never be told so as to be understood, and not be believ'd.
70. Enough! or too much.

Miss Hepburn 09-06-2016 02:52 PM

Pythagoras, b. 570 BC:

God is supreme music; the nature of which is harmony.
Also: God is a living and Absolute Truth clothed in light.

Shivani Devi 09-06-2016 03:18 PM

Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. - Carl Jung

Shivani Devi 10-06-2016 03:19 PM

This was just given to me in another message:

The benefits of Bhakti Yoga are immense, as Swami Sivananda writes,

“Bhakti softens the heart and removes jealousy, hatred, lust, anger, egoism, pride and arrogance. It infuses joy, divine ecstasy, bliss, peace and knowledge. All cares, worries and anxieties, fears, mental torments and tribulations entirely vanish. The devotee is freed from the Samsaric wheel of births and deaths. He attains the immortal abode of everlasting peace, bliss and knowledge”. The ultimate goal in the practice of Bhakti yoga is to reach the state of rasa (essence), a feeling of pure bliss achieved in the devotional surrender to the Divine."

This was synchronicity! They are happening all over the place!

I'm going back into full trance again now. :biggrin:

Unseelie Queen 10-06-2016 08:12 PM

Necro, I'm so glad you seem to be doing better :smile: (Hmmm I must look into this Bhakti yoga, myself! Who doesn't want to bask and swim in pure bliss?)

I'm liking these today:

If love wants you; if you’ve been melted
down to stars, you will love
with lungs and gills, with warm blood
and cold. With feathers and scales.
— Anne Michaels, “Last Night’s Moon”

The inner life is not written. History is as amorphous as any dream, the methods are simply attempts to grasp at its diaphanous dancing form without entering into the divine madness where knowledge truly resides.
— Peter Grey, Apocalyptic Witchcraft.

And finally:
“If we’re willing to look in a deep way underneath the appearances, what we expect to discover—or perhaps hope to discover—is some great, shining image. Most people, deep in their unconscious, want to find an idea of themselves, an image of themselves, that’s really good, quite wonderful, quite worthy of admiration and approval. Yet, when we start to peer underneath our image, we find something quite surprising—maybe even a bit disturbing at first. We begin to find no image. If you look right at this moment, underneath your idea of yourself, and you don’t insert another idea or another image, but if you just look under however you define yourself and you see it’s just an image, it’s just an idea, and you peer underneath it, what you find is no image, no idea of yourself. Not a better image, not a worse image, but no image. Because this is so unexpected, most people will move away from it almost instinctively. They’ll move right back into a more positive image. But if we really want to know who we are, if we want to get to the bottom of this particular way in which we suffer, arising from believing ourselves to be something we’re not, then we have to be willing to look underneath the image, underneath the idea that we have of each other, and most specifically of ourselves.”
― Adyashanti, Falling Into Grace

Shivani Devi 11-06-2016 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unseelie Queen
Necro, I'm so glad you seem to be doing better :smile: (Hmmm I must look into this Bhakti yoga, myself! Who doesn't want to bask and swim in pure bliss?)

I am doing swimmingly, my friend. :hug3:

Bhakti Yoga is something you just don't look in to. lol...you either love God passionately or you don't...if you do, that is Bhakti Yoga.

That quote above was very special to me, as it was a massive synchronicity at a time when I needed it the most!

Swami Sivananda was a guru of mine - who I kinda forgot was a guru of mine...until I was reminded...

“Put your heart, mind, and soul into even your smallest acts. This is the secret of success.” - Swami Sivananda

“The real spiritual progress of the aspirant is measured by the extent to which he achieves inner tranquility.” - Swami Sivananda

"Meditation is the dissolution of thoughts in Eternal awareness or Pure consciousness without objectification, knowing without thinking, merging finitude in infinity.” Swami Sivananda

Meet necro's guru, gaiz.

Miss Hepburn 11-06-2016 02:28 AM

I'm loving these quotes from Swami Sivananda.
Well, AND this one from Joseph Campbell.

A human Being 11-06-2016 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unseelie Queen

I'm liking these today:

If love wants you; if you’ve been melted
down to stars, you will love
with lungs and gills, with warm blood
and cold. With feathers and scales.
— Anne Michaels, “Last Night’s Moon”

The inner life is not written. History is as amorphous as any dream, the methods are simply attempts to grasp at its diaphanous dancing form without entering into the divine madness where knowledge truly resides.
— Peter Grey, Apocalyptic Witchcraft.

And finally:
“If we’re willing to look in a deep way underneath the appearances, what we expect to discover—or perhaps hope to discover—is some great, shining image. Most people, deep in their unconscious, want to find an idea of themselves, an image of themselves, that’s really good, quite wonderful, quite worthy of admiration and approval. Yet, when we start to peer underneath our image, we find something quite surprising—maybe even a bit disturbing at first. We begin to find no image. If you look right at this moment, underneath your idea of yourself, and you don’t insert another idea or another image, but if you just look under however you define yourself and you see it’s just an image, it’s just an idea, and you peer underneath it, what you find is no image, no idea of yourself. Not a better image, not a worse image, but no image. Because this is so unexpected, most people will move away from it almost instinctively. They’ll move right back into a more positive image. But if we really want to know who we are, if we want to get to the bottom of this particular way in which we suffer, arising from believing ourselves to be something we’re not, then we have to be willing to look underneath the image, underneath the idea that we have of each other, and most specifically of ourselves.”
― Adyashanti, Falling Into Grace

I love the quotes, somehow they seem to compliment each other nicely :smile: I particularly love the Adyashanti one, because I can relate to it so much - I've looked, and found no image, and I have instinctively moved away from it, it's like I can't live without a self-image of some description, like it's a comfort blanket or something. I wonder where that feeling comes from...

Ilovecats 19-06-2016 02:05 PM

Live your life as if everythings is rigged in your favour - Rumi :toothy2:

StrandedSnowMonkey 19-06-2016 09:53 PM

Quote:

The near enemy of loving kindness is attachment. At first, attachment may feel like love,
but as it grows it becomes more clearly the opposite, characterized by clinging, controlling, and fear.

The near enemy of compassion is pity, and this also separates us.
Pity feels sorry for that poor person over there as if he were somehow different from us.

The near enemy of sympathetic joy (the joy in the happiness of others) is comparison,
which looks to see if we have more than, the same as, or less than another.

The near enemy of equanimity is indifference. True equanimity is balance
in the midst of experience, whereas indifference is a withdrawal and not caring, based on fear.

~ Jack Kornfield