Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Quotes & Stories (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Quotes from the Masters and Teachers (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=48806)

Miss Hepburn 26-02-2015 06:25 PM

Was just sent this for a friend that is exhausted spiritually:

I love a story I heard many years ago at an ashram when someone stated
that they were simply exhausted
by their never ending quest for an experience of God.
The guru replied, "If you would just live your life in a way that demonstrates compassion
and kindness for others, particularly those less fortunate, then
you would never have to worry about looking for God...
God will come looking for you."

TaoSandwich 28-02-2015 02:32 AM

"Sometimes it seems like such a stretch, we need more than beads in the net for these dreams that we catch... three parts hard work, one part magic... The information's everywhere, you've just gotta know how to grab it."

-Dujeous (rap group)

Okay, so rappers aren't quite masters, but I love this quote! :D

-TaoSandwich

Skull 28-02-2015 09:24 PM

Blavatsky on civilization

Thanks in the main to Darwinism...

"The tendency of modern civilization is a reaction towards animalism, towards a development of those qualities which conduce to the success in life of man as an animal in the struggle for animal existence. Theosophy seeks to develop the human nature in man in addition to the animal, and at the sacrifice of the superfluous animality which modern life and materialistic teachings have developed to a degree which is abnormal for the human being at this stage of his progress."

HP Blavatsky in 1888 letter

Arcturus 01-03-2015 09:21 AM

The river was everything, they bathed in it, worshipped it and died beside it. The river was so indifferent to their joy and sorrow; it was so deep, there was such weight and power behind it; it was terribly alive and so dangerous. The flashing river by day was now the light of the sky, enchanted, dreaming and lost in its beauty and love. In this light, all things cease to exist, the heart that was crying and the brain that was cunning; pleasure and pain went away leaving only light, transparent, gentle and caressing. It was light; thought and feeling had no part in it, they could never give light; they were not there, only this light when the sun is well behind the walls of the city and not a cloud in the sky. You cannot see this light unless you know the timeless movement of meditation; the ending of thought is this movement.

The brain was completely still but very alive and watching. The otherness was there, deep within at a depth that was lost; wiping away everything without leaving a mark of what has been or what is. It was simply a fact, like death and the curving river.

From "Krishnamurti's Notebook"...one of my alltime fave reads. Also the quote used at the end of the movie in my sig. Gotta love HPB and there's plenty of rap masta's!

Arcturus 01-03-2015 12:07 PM

"If you're aware of your distraction are you then still distracted?"- JK

Not a wham bam quote that's likely to end up on a meme but I think it's quite subtle and implies a few things. Instead of endlessly trying to cultivate an aware state of mind, which implies effort, all I need do is be actually aware of my thought process without trying to act on it or end it in any way. To be aware of my distraction is to pay attention. Nothing to do but to see the contradictions, that alone is the freeing action.

Miss Hepburn 02-03-2015 06:45 PM

Let nothing disturb thee, nothing affright thee
All things are passing. God never changeth;
Patient endurance attaineth to all things;
Who God possesseth in nothing is wanting,
God alone sufficith.

-St Teresa of Avila

I think it is the 500th yr of her birth, btw.

Arcturus 04-03-2015 10:42 AM

St. Teresa sounds pretty cool.

Not sure of the source of this:

"“You may remember the story of how the devil and a friend of his were walking down the street, when they saw ahead of them a man stoop down and pick up something from the ground, look at it, and put it away in his pocket. The friend said to the devil, “What did that man pick up?” “He picked up a piece of Truth,” said the devil. “That is a very bad business for you, then,” said his friend. “Oh, not at all,” the devil replied, “I am going to let him organize it.""

Arcturus 05-03-2015 08:28 AM

Proverbs 15:1

Quote:

A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.

I should take note.

Miss Hepburn 05-03-2015 07:29 PM

"Many are called but few are chosen" should be, "All are called
but few choose to listen.”

-A Course In Miracles (ACIM)

Ascension 05-03-2015 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
"Many are called but few are chosen" should be, "All are called
but few choose to listen
.”

-A Course In Miracles (ACIM)