Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Judaism (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   What does the Jewish faith believe about Jesus? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=16066)

Guard 17-05-2011 11:05 PM

What does the Jewish faith believe about Jesus?

Just a simple question as I am curious to know. Thanks!

RabbiO 18-05-2011 02:11 AM

G -

Once you get beyond the Jewish positions that you're probably aware of:
a) Jesus was not the messiah;
b) Jesus is not G-d incarnate or the son of G-d;
c) Jesus was not born of a virgin;
d) Jesus was not resurrected from the dead;

there is no one belief, there are not any beliefs regarding Jesus that can be called THE Jewish beliefs.

B'shalom,

Peter

Guard 18-05-2011 02:59 AM

A very consise and to the point response Rabbi O. Let me ask a question sorta off topic, but indirectly related. I have always noticed that I have not seen members of the Jewish faith trying to convert others to Judiasm. Is that because G-D is accessable by all and need not be a member of a faith to fully understand and reap the benefits of a relationship with our creator?

blessings

Honza 18-05-2011 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RabbiO
G -

Once you get beyond the Jewish positions that you're probably aware of:
a) Jesus was not the messiah;
b) Jesus is not G-d incarnate or the son of G-d;
c) Jesus was not born of a virgin;
d) Jesus was not resurrected from the dead;

there is no one belief, there are not any beliefs regarding Jesus that can be called THE Jewish beliefs.

B'shalom,

Peter

Interesting. In particular that Judaism does not believe in the Immaculate Conception or The Resurrection....

psychoslice 18-05-2011 08:07 AM

Jews can't believe in Jesus, he goes against their belief system, he also talks of a god of love, not a warmongering god.

RabbiO 18-05-2011 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honza
Interesting. In particular that Judaism does not believe in the Immaculate Conception or The Resurrection....

Honza -

Actually, I hadn't brought up the Immaculate Conception - which refers not to Jesus, but rather Mary being born without sin. Jews do not believe in original sin so there is no need for the IC.

B'shalom,

Peter

RabbiO 18-05-2011 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guard
A very consise and to the point response Rabbi O. Let me ask a question sorta off topic, but indirectly related. I have always noticed that I have not seen members of the Jewish faith trying to convert others to Judiasm. Is that because G-D is accessable by all and need not be a member of a faith to fully understand and reap the benefits of a relationship with our creator?

blessings

G -

It has been a long held tenet in Judaism that the righteous of all nations have a share in what is referred to as olam ha-bah, the world to come. In other words one does not need to be Jewish to find favor with the divine.

That said, there was a long period of time when Judaism actively sought converts - and apparently were quite successful - as noted in uncomplementary writings from such as Tacitus and even in Christian scripture (Mark 23:15).

There are reasons why this changed after 135 C.E. and became a more discouraging practice, but I need not go into that here.

B'shalom,

Peter

7luminaries 18-05-2011 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RabbiO
G -

It has been a long held tenet in Judaism that the righteous of all nations have a share in what is referred to as olam ha-bah, the world to come. In other words one does not need to be Jewish to find favor with the divine.

That said, there was a long period of time when Judaism actively sought converts - and apparently were quite successful - as noted in uncomplementary writings from such as Tacitus and even in Christian scripture (Mark 23:15).

There are reasons why this changed after 135 C.E. and became a more discouraging practice, but I need not go into that here.

B'shalom,

Peter

BUT...if anyone is interested, I think it is very touching to see the hope & spirit of the people described briefly & archived here in coin stamping...

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/...ondRevolt.html

l'shalom,
7L

RabbiO 18-05-2011 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychoslice
Jews can't believe in Jesus, he goes against their belief system, he also talks of a god of love, not a warmongering god.

There's a certain inevitability to this kind of comment. There is no inevitability that it needs to be answered. Been there, done that more times than I like to think.

You're free to make the assessment that you have made.

לכי לשלום
Go in peace.

Peter

7luminaries 18-05-2011 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychoslice

LOL...psycho...btw Jesus was an observant Jew, if perhaps what we would call today a bit of a hardliner and a rabble raiser with some beliefs that were not mainstream. Actually he is a lot like many of the tribe I know even today :tongue:

I have always felt very close to all members of the tribe, living or dead, including the house of David...from the tribe of Yehudah. At the time of the census in Bamidbar (Numbers), the majority of Jews were reported as from the "conglomerate" tribes of Yehudah (the most populous single tribe), and Yosef/Efraim.

As it says in Yechezkel (Ezekiel)....

As the navi Yechezkel later invisions in regard to the
final redemption:
"Behold, I will take the stick of Yoseph, which is in the
hand of Efraim, and the tribes of Israel his companions; and
I will put them unto him together with the stick of Yehudah,
and make them one stick, and they shall be one in My hand...
thus I will take the children of Israel from among the
nations ... and will gather them on every side, and bring
them into their own land; and I will make them one nation in
the land... and one king shall be king to them all; and they
shall be no more two nations, neither shall they be divided
into two kingdoms any more at all"
(see Yechezkel 37:15-22)

You can't take the Jew out of Jesus :tongue: though history has certainly tried.

There is the bit about having a religion which worships him as God.
Since we hold God is All and we view Jesus as a man, of course worship of Jesus or anyone/thing else will not go over w/ Jews. LOL....

Leaving that aside, along with some stuff that Jesus may or may not have really said (?)...

I would say his call to spiritual integrity and contemplative meditation and kavanah...or bringing intent to action...is very much in line with the "usual" exhortations from the prophets (Neviim), who were also hardliners and rabble raisers :D

Your comment abt the warmongering God would require a lot of deprogramming :D so I will leave that to the more energetic...but suffice it so say mate that we all believe in a God of compassion and lovingkindness and peace.

PEACE :smile:
7L