Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Meditation (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   in meditation, do you use mudras ? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136323)

deepdip 22-07-2020 06:43 AM

in meditation, do you use mudras ?

What is your personal experience with mudras in meditation ?

I'm still an amateur, I only practice mindful breathing, but "gyan mudra" definately makes it easier for me to focus my attention.And the focus is more,more stable with the mudra.

iamthat 22-07-2020 08:15 PM

Mudra means gesture or seal, and a mudra is a hand position or bodily position intended to influence the flow of energy around the body.

Deepdip speaks of gyan mudra, which is the common practice of sitting with the thumbs touching the index fingers. This improves concentration and sharpens memory.

Other mudras include:

Buddhi mudra - thumbs touching the little fingers. This is used for mental clarity.

Shuni mudra
- thumbs touching the middle fingers. This improves intuition and alertness, and purifies thoughts and emotions.

Prana mudra
- thumbs touching the little and third fingers. This awakens and enlivens personal prana.

There are other hand mudras - plenty of information available online.

Other common mudras include:

Khechari mudra
- the tongue rolled back to touch the soft palate at the top of the mouth. This is actually baby khechari. Full khechari has the tongue rolled even further back into the nasal cavity but this takes practice. This is a powerful mudra which aids concentration, turns awareness inwards, strengthens the immune system, helps overcome laziness and hunger, plus many other benefits.

Shambhavi mudra - another very powerful practice where the eyes are rolled upwards to gaze at the ajna chakra. It brings the mind into a state of balance and leads to higher states of consciousness.

Jyoti mudra
- the thumbs are inserted into the ears while the index and middle fingers press around the eyes. This is intended to help the meditator hear the Divine Sound (or nada) and see the Divine Light.

Mudras will help meditation in many ways, and the above descriptions do not do justice to these practices.

Peace

TrueNorth 29-07-2020 06:10 AM

I do find them to be helpful in guiding the energy with physical intention

Gem 29-07-2020 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepdip
What is your personal experience with mudras in meditation ?

I'm still an amateur, I only practice mindful breathing, but "gyan mudra" definately makes it easier for me to focus my attention.And the focus is more,more stable with the mudra.

I wouldn't worry about it as it makes very little difference, if any, and probably better to just find a comfortable posture and have relaxed hands.

deepdip 30-07-2020 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gem
I wouldn't worry about it as it makes very little difference, if any, and probably better to just find a comfortable posture and have relaxed hands.

Different people - different ideals.
Mudras work for me.
Namaste.

Gem 30-07-2020 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepdip
Different people - different ideals.
Mudras work for me.
Namaste.

I'd say keep things in perspective with the fundamentals, and mudra or no mudra don't sweat the small stuff.

deepdip 30-07-2020 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gem
I'd say keep things in perspective with the fundamentals, and mudra or no mudra don't sweat the small stuff.

I will respect this.

lomax 30-07-2020 09:15 PM

After my kundalini awakening i found out that i could trigger mudras instantly.
The interface between my mind and energy body was open,so any kind of mudra or mantra was accessible.

Slowly i started to realize something.

It wasn't the mudras giving the energy effect,but my awakened mind.

What i mean is that if i knew that this mudra does that thing,then i had the desired effect as well.
Soon i came to the conclusion that i was working with my memory bank.

For example i remember i saw a mudra in one book.The author was suggesting that this mudra was triggering the sahasrara chakra.The moment i performed the gesture,i felt indeed energy gathering to the top of my head.

After some time i found out that the description was wrong,and this mudra supposed to have a different effect.Then i realize that the power wasn't in the mudra it self,but to my ability to trigger my energy body via my mind (memory).

So in simple words,mudras are just point reminders to access specific parts of your energy body.

You do the gesture,your mind-subconsious-inner self performs a search into your memory bank,and triggers the desired effect.

Morgan 03-08-2020 07:10 AM

Re: Khechari

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamthat
Khechari mudra[/b] - the tongue rolled back to touch the soft palate at the top of the mouth. This is actually baby khechari. Full khechari has the tongue rolled even further back into the nasal cavity but this takes practice. This is a powerful mudra which aids concentration, turns awareness inwards, strengthens the immune system, helps overcome laziness and hunger, plus many other benefits.

My favourite mudra that can flood one's being/body with bliss.
I have found it a great bridge/connect to the physical world and helped me to see the oneness that pervades.
The nectar is physical, i .e. one tastes it.
I have found that it also enhances light/sounds meditation(Jyoti).

Mudras will help meditation in many ways, and the above descriptions do not
do justice to these practices.

Right on. :biggrin:

Peace

Always

My first post.

deepdip 03-08-2020 09:38 AM

Very nice...