Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Religion (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Beliefs about euthanasia (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=146328)

whispershadow 24-03-2023 10:58 PM

Beliefs about euthanasia

I was reading about different religions, and some of them say under no circumstances is a life to be taken (not counting getting food)

I'm unclear about something though, its making me get guilt again about the cat I had who died in my arms at the vets, my angel Ebony, the vet gave her the injection to put her to sleep, I held her as she died

Does this mean that Ebony should never of been given that gentle end? Would religions want people's pets and people themselves to die in severe pain and suffering due to the whole thing of "never take a life" ?

i'm confused

Miss Hepburn 24-03-2023 11:40 PM

Follow your gut or heart ...you know what is ok, I'm sure you do. :)
No need to be confused by what others think or try to impress on others, imo.

Native spirit 25-03-2023 12:42 PM

Follow you heart and what feels right for you, it doesn't matter what others think.

Namaste

boyce 28-03-2023 06:33 PM

If we end our pets' lives because we love them and because we don't want them to suffer any longer, that motive is love and it's the most sincere of motives - there's no reason to feel regret for your recent actions.

It's different from the situation for ourselves, from us as human beings. We're not superior in any sense but we're on very different spiritual paths from that of animals.

Native spirit 28-03-2023 07:07 PM

That is so true Boyce

Namaste

Blue Tiger 02-04-2023 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boyce
It's different from the situation for ourselves, from us as human beings. We're not superior in any sense but we're on very different spiritual paths from that of animals.

I fully support euthanasia for terminally ill/injured animals. But I disagree that it is somehow different for humans. Humans who are terminally ill/injured should be able to access euthanasia, too. It's inhumane to prolong suffering of a fellow human, unless that human chooses to fight on.

I've been thinking about topics like this a lot these past few weeks, as I searched for a diagnosis and now wait for a treatment plan. For now, I plan to fight. But if things take a very negative turn, I will find the possibility of ending the suffering very comforting.

Native spirit 02-04-2023 08:05 PM

I know of someone who is looking into travelling to Sweden to end their life.
He is suffering from two different Dementias
He already has a DNR on his notes, if he should collapse before he makes up his mind.
I would never judge him nor would I dissuade him or try to,
It is his choice and his condition is only going to get worse.
It is my belief is it is your Body, you have the right to say what happens to it

Namaste

boyce 02-04-2023 08:27 PM

I would never criticise or judge anyone who ended their own life because I do not stand in their shoes.

The suffering of some individuals appears intolerable and nowadays modern medicine keeps alive those who at one time would have succumbed naturally to medical problems. They would have passed over in the natural way when their bodies failed.

But I am unsure if it would be right for myself and I hope I never face that situation.

boyce 02-04-2023 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Tiger
Humans who are terminally ill/injured should be able to access euthanasia, too.

Perhaps in time this world will travel that route but not for some generations I suspect.

Native spirit 03-04-2023 10:35 AM

So true Boyce

Namaste