Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Mediumship (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   [?] About spirit guides (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=139509)

Quodsi 14-03-2021 08:51 AM

[?] About spirit guides

In Carl Jung's works, I've read that he says, what people call 'spirit guides" are simply archetypes of the unconscious.

Now, I wonder - in my experience spirit guides really feel like impersonal energies, not conscious entities.

On the other hand, my expectations, of course, influence the experiment.So, if I expect them to be conscious, probably they will feel like such.

If I expect them to be not, then they will feel not.

But, are spirit guides independantly conscious entities or not. Because, if my expectations give them life, it simply means that I communicate with myself and not an independent conscious being.

Right, I know, I'm a little confused, but this one has been bothering me for some time...

ThatMan 14-03-2021 02:38 PM

I tend to think that it is all coming from within ourselves, it does not really matter how they appear, from you or from outside of you, there's only one source so you could say all it's coming from within.

Just my opinion.

Native spirit 14-03-2021 04:31 PM

I was only a small child when i saw my spirit guide he stood right in front of me,
they are very real

Namaste

Kate Matthews 14-03-2021 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Native spirit
I was only a small child when i saw my spirit guide he stood right in front of me,
they are very real

Namaste

I saw my guides right in front of me too, Native spirit. And have seen others' guides too when they chose it.

Quodsi 15-03-2021 10:36 AM

I guess I have to have some more faith then...

Kaliope 10-04-2021 08:14 AM

My thought reading your deep thoughts were as we are all part of the whole, part of universal consciousness, all one then they could be either or both. depends on where you focus your consciousness. It’s a paradox.

Kate Matthews 10-04-2021 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
There certainly is a feeling from my guide of:
":rolleyes: Ok, fine do what you want ---but I'm telling you you do not wanna do that." And then, the ultimate, "I told you."
With a dry - almost a dry tired-of-your-antics attitude ---

I've gotten a dry, detached "that's refreshing" when I've finally done a thing a different way.

CosmicWonder 10-04-2021 01:13 PM

When I called Jezus to save me out of some troublesome situation... he just made me feel how hilarious it was. And I laughed. Not realizing that it was just that. At least for someone ENTIRELY not attached to my suffering lol. I did get a lot of love too

beginners_mind 21-04-2021 03:08 AM

I deeply respect Carl Jung especially his work on dreams, but I think he has his limitations when it comes to the spiritual worlds. Sure some of the entities we meet are archetypes of our own unconscious, especially in dreams, but many others aren't, or are both as Kaliope points out.

asearcher 21-04-2021 05:58 AM

I think it can come from ourselves, our higher self
but too ... it can come from others. I have noticed few are having the looks, the symbols on them that I don't understand what they mean at the moment and some has taken me years to finally get an answer too.
Could it be that as long as we have both positive and negative feelings that we attract different set of spirit guides?

Gentenz 21-04-2021 01:36 PM

I have never met mine but I do believe that I have at least one. There have been many times when I know things before I was told. Yup- E.S.P. I do have it not strongly but every now & again it will click to MY surprise. I know that is my Spirit Guide.

ImthatIm 22-04-2021 01:16 AM

CosmicWonder
Love your post in post #9

CosmicWonder 22-04-2021 01:30 AM

Thank you very much ImthatIm!
Was hoping someone liked it :p
Much kindness!

mistybelle 28-04-2021 08:44 AM

When I was a teen, I saw an Indian brave, in broad daylight, in the forest, by a lake. He appeared totally real. Then after a bit, he simply wasn't there. Years later, a spiritualist minister told me I had a strong protector spirit guide named Running Bear, and someday, I would see him. I told her I already had. I haven't a clue why I was so lucky to have seen him but I DO feel him, near me, on my left side. Spirit guides and the spirits of dead people who for some unknown reason, are assigned to us. I think we have some that are always with us and others come and go into our lives to help out as needed: artists, carpenters, etc.

Native spirit 28-04-2021 08:44 PM

I was very young when i saw my spirit guide he stood directly in front of me told me his name.
he is always with me. he even told me my spirit name.
The only time he changed was when i was suing the Health service.another guide took over,
but my usual guide was back with me when it was over

Namaste

BigJohn 29-04-2021 04:48 AM

As for Spirit Guides........ dig thru documents and see when Spirit Guides appeared on the scene. You might be surprised at what you will find.

Native spirit 29-04-2021 11:00 AM

True

Namaste

bobjob 29-04-2021 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJohn
As for Spirit Guides........ dig thru documents and see when Spirit Guides appeared on the scene. You might be surprised at what you will find.

Save me the effort and time please, BJ. What did you find? What surprised you?

On a different but related theme I've been parking on one side some of the ideas I've accepted from certain mortals over the past few years. I'd been heeding them thinking due-diligence had been applied before those ideas were expressed but doubts have appeared - have been placed? - in my mind of late.

I try to accept others have sincerity and show a similar - or better still a greater - diligence towards issues than I but with sadness I'm concluding it may not always be the case. :icon_frown:

CosmicWonder 29-04-2021 12:07 PM

Hii bobjob,

Good to see you around again!

bobjob 29-04-2021 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CosmicWonder
Hii bobjob,

Good to see you around again!

I was never away to now be (quote) "around again". Nonetheless I'm pleased it's good for you......

CosmicWonder 29-04-2021 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobjob
I was never away to now be (quote) "around again". Nonetheless I'm pleased it's good for you......

Haha oops I’m sorry. Glad you were here all the time

briam 01-05-2021 06:31 PM

Original Guide

i was a sickly child when i was younger i suffered from unknown problems no doctor could find out what i was suffering from apart from lack of iron in my body i was 12year old which was called a secondary modern school in those days for a year or two from that age id feel queezy or sickly like a feelings of non existence to feel better id try to stay were there was a lot of fresh air one school session i sat by a window the sun was shining
but it was not hot or even warm that day i wanted to open the window but the teacher would not let me open the window a short time into the class period i started feeling sick and faint i tried to get to the school classroom door as i could feel myself drifting into unconsciouness i was fighting it at the same time
but it was no use so i surrendered and thought this is it everything went totally black i thought id died then all of a sudden as if like magic this red indian chief appeared before me face only screaming at me
i could not understand what he was saying but his eyes were bulging and glaring at me all of a sudden i woke to the real world the school kids were laughing at me the teacher looked confused and
was talking to me but i could not hear him at first when i became fully conscious i asked the teacher what had gone on and why the school kids were laughing at me, he paused and said nothing
at first he must have thought i was pretending to get out of class. i
said to him look i dont remember anything between the period of time you saw me acting that way i was up until now i was not lucid, he said brian you were talking in slow motion and moving very very slowly
i was sent to the nurse but she could find nothing wrong with me. this was not the first time i saw a guide or angel the last time was when i was nearly four years old

Sean1 28-05-2021 10:55 AM

I haven't had much success connecting with my spirit guide(s). I am told I have them, but when I do try and connect I am not sure if it is the guide talking or me. I suppose if it's your spirit guide, then you would definitely know for sure.

bobjob 28-05-2021 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean1
I haven't had much success connecting with my spirit guide(s). I am told I have them, but when I do try and connect I am not sure if it is the guide talking or me. I suppose if it's your spirit guide, then you would definitely know for sure.

There's a lot of misunderstanding over what guides are or what they do. And connecting with 'em isn't as simple - or as obvious/certain - as some would make out.

CosmicWonder 28-05-2021 02:46 PM

Hii bobjob,

Can you clear some of this confusion? Would be glad to hear your perspective on guides.

bobjob 28-05-2021 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CosmicWonder
Hii bobjob,

Can you clear some of this confusion? Would be glad to hear your perspective on guides.

Sorry but I've stepped back from all that stuff. I'm sure others will be able to help you though.

CosmicWonder 28-05-2021 05:34 PM

Thanks still bobjob. For letting me know and your time.

Greenslade 01-06-2021 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quodsi
But, are spirit guides independantly conscious entities or not. Because, if my expectations give them life, it simply means that I communicate with myself and not an independent conscious being.

What colour is consciousness? How high is it, how wide? And would it look better with stripes or stars?

No they're not silly questions, they're trying to illustrate that the mind simply can't grasp consciousness itself because consciousness is so far beyond the mind. In mediumship there's a saying - "All Spirits are thirty-five years old." Of course Spirit doesn't have an age but by looking thirty-five years old Spirit conveys the consciousness that they are in the 'prime of their existence' just like being thirty-five is being in the prime of our Lives.

You expectations don't give them Life, your expectations help create how you perceive them. Call it a mental picture if you like, in the way you create a mental picture of people you regularly interact with in these forums. Spirit Guides are not archetypes though, while the conscious mind perceives them in much the same way archetypes are internal (either personal or collective) and Spirit Guides are external. However, both are 'representations' of consciousness.

Greenslade 01-06-2021 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean1

To use words that are a little inadequate but being all there is....

If you take a step back from your thoughts and mental processes you might find that they vibrate at a certain frequency, and they'll give you a certain feeling. What that feeling is will be entirely personal so you'll just have to find it for yourself. If you are connecting with your Spirit Guide the feeling should be very different, it might come from a different part of your body - gut feeling or heartstrings being pulled, for instance - or feel like a very different frequency of vibration. it's all about the vibrations and how you personally experience them, but what you're looking for is difference. Take your time and 'bask in the feeling', that'll help you become used to it and it'll be easier to distinguish with practice.

Native spirit 01-06-2021 09:30 AM

A spirit Guide can show themselves in a variety of ways, for myself i see them standing in front of me.
others see them in dreams for others they get a sudden urge to do something that they were not planning on doing and they see a benefit from it. that is your guide urging you on.

Some say its the same as your instincts and in a way it is. but your instincts come from deep within yourself.
or as others say your gut instincts.

Everyone has a spirit guide just as everyone has a Guardian Angel. they look over us but they dont interfere unless they need to.

Namaste

bobjob 01-06-2021 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenslade
In mediumship there's a saying - "All Spirits are thirty-five years old." Of course Spirit doesn't have an age but by looking thirty-five years old Spirit conveys the consciousness that they are in the 'prime of their existence' just like being thirty-five is being in the prime of our Lives.

I like sayings but hadn't heard that one. I like it! It's a great way to represent how communicating loved ones may present their image for identification during evidential (spiritual) mediumship.

Quote:

You expectations don't give them Life, your expectations help create how you perceive them. Call it a mental picture if you like, in the way you create a mental picture of people you regularly interact with in these forums. Spirit Guides are not archetypes though, while the conscious mind perceives them in much the same way archetypes are internal (either personal or collective) and Spirit Guides are external. However, both are 'representations' of consciousness.
I applaud the way you've explained the situation. :smile: My view on guides is that folk may feel their guides are "actively guiding" their every move and - with the right technique - can be contacted for a two-way dialogue that will inform and illuminate the recipient of the guidance. Perhaps more in the style of seeking out a guru who will show the way.....

For my own part I'm not sure I have my own mental representation of whatever helper/guide I might have. Others have described an entity (my word) the way they perceive it/him but that's their perception rather than mine. But their image has now been recorded in my psyche. I hesitate even to use a gendered pronoun to describe it - why are spirit guides usually seen as male?

What influence I may experience is subtle if it's there at all - maybe it's just me? What I do recognise at times is my words flowing in ways they don't always flow. Sometimes they come so easily and readily I consciously wonder where I got whatever it is I'm writing. When my work is full of errors, typos and poor formatting I'm pretty damned sure it's me. When that's not the case I very much hope it ain't and I'm being 'guided'. (helped along!)

Perhaps those looking to contact their spirit guides should think carefully about what they think a guide actually is and does?

Miss Hepburn 01-06-2021 11:08 AM

Quote:

I like sayings but hadn't heard that one. I like it! It's a great way to represent how communicating loved ones
may present their image for identification during evidential (spiritual) mediumship.

Re spirits being in their 30's. I have read so much...and this comes up often!
Ha, I remember a woman that suddenly electrocuted herself so found herselfon the Other Side (having an NDE),
there was a big gathering of happy people, like in a ballroom --she came down an escalator
and 2 people were at the bottom waiting for her that she didn't recognize..hahahah she came there so fast ...
her grandparents didn't think to change back to how she remembered them as gray haired and old.
And that's just 1 story!

PS never work on a fish tank (with filters and lights shorting out) that is leaking - so you're standing on a wet carpet! :D :tongue:
I'm sorry it's just too funny. She was knocked so hard her head went thru drywall. The things we do!
I believe when asked -"How did you die?" 90% answer, "A stupid accident...bad judgment."

Miss Hepburn 01-06-2021 11:16 AM

Quote:

.....Perhaps those looking to contact their spirit guides should think carefully
about what they think a guide actually is and does?

Reminded my of going to a Medium's weekly gathering in NYC.
You had to be careful not to say too much before hand --if you comment on the nice music, incense or
straighten a lampshade before the meeting starts --all this can come up in your 'message'!
'You are a music lover and like things neat, you keep busy'...as if 'they' know your personality.

Tricky stuff. Do little, say little about yourself before the session.
My advice.

bobjob 01-06-2021 11:27 AM

Quote:

Re spirits being in their 30's. I have read so much...and this comes up often!
Ha, I remember a woman that suddenly electrocuted herself so found herselfon the Other Side (having an NDE),
there was a big gathering of happy people, like in a ballroom --she came down an escalator
and 2 people were at the bottom waiting for her that she didn't recognize..hahahah she came there so fast ...
her grandparents didn't think to change back to how she remembered them as gray haired and old.
And that's just 1 story!

PS never work on a fish tank (with filters and lights shorting out) that is leaking - so you're standing on a wet carpet! :D :tongue:
I'm sorry it's just too funny. She was knocked so hard her head went thru drywall. The things we do!
I believe when asked -"How did you die?" 90% answer, "A stupid accident...bad judgment."

In my early days I linked up with a lovely bunch for development (never worked for this lump of wood) and one of our gals was there after the death of her husband who had been 'fixing' their washing machine and was electrocuted - and died after switching on! Damp floor, wrong ground wire, instant death....

He came back to her all the time, every day, even when we were sitting, any time...

bobjob 01-06-2021 11:31 AM

Quote:

Reminded my of going to a Medium's weekly gathering in NYC.
You had to be careful not to say too much before hand --if you comment on the nice music, incense or
straighten a lampshade before the meeting starts --all this can come up in your 'message'!
'You are a music lover and like things neat, you keep busy'...as if 'they' know your personality.

Tricky stuff. Do little, say little about yourself before the session.
My advice.

Don't get me going about psychic reading masquerading / being mistaken for mediumship. :wink:

Miss Hepburn 01-06-2021 12:18 PM

Quote:

....after the death of her husband who had been 'fixing' their washing machine and was electrocuted -
and died after switching on! Damp floor, wrong ground wire, instant death....

On topic ---guides, helpers, angels, God, loved ones? -
Charles Stanley - a famous USA Pastor, teacher, author, all-around-gentle-man within Christian circles, had a 'life change' ---when running a tub,
and wanted to fix a lightbulb on a cord from the ceiling ---like in the 1930-40s...when the phone rang!!
No one was there. :wink:
But when he turned back - he saw the water on the floor. :smile:

bobjob 01-06-2021 06:06 PM

Quote:

On topic ---guides, helpers, angels, God, loved ones? -
Charles Stanley - a famous USA Pastor, teacher, author, all-around-gentle-man within Christian circles, had a 'life change' ---when running a tub,
and wanted to fix a lightbulb on a cord from the ceiling ---like in the 1930-40s...when the phone rang!!
No one was there. :wink:
But when he turned back - he saw the water on the floor. :smile:

helper / loved one I'd say

BigJohn 06-06-2021 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Native spirit
A spirit Guide can show themselves in a variety of ways, for myself i see them standing in front of me.

Namaste

When I go up in the Mountains, sometimes a 'fog' appears, which is odd during the dry season in the desert. Nevertheless, a 'fog' appears, which always comes first, and those that are 'with me', all seem to appear next.

For me, the Mountains are very special and I have had a lot of adventures while there.

I can not tell you how many times this has happened.

Greenslade 06-06-2021 09:55 AM

Quote:

I like sayings but hadn't heard that one. I like it! It's a great way to represent how communicating loved ones may present their image for identification during evidential (spiritual) mediumship.

It's simple, easy and it puts the understanding across.

Quote:

I applaud the way you've explained the situation. :smile: My view on guides is that folk may feel their guides are "actively guiding" their every move and - with the right technique - can be contacted for a two-way dialogue that will inform and illuminate the recipient of the guidance. Perhaps more in the style of seeking out a guru who will show the way.....

For my own part I'm not sure I have my own mental representation of whatever helper/guide I might have. Others have described an entity (my word) the way they perceive it/him but that's their perception rather than mine. But their image has now been recorded in my psyche. I hesitate even to use a gendered pronoun to describe it - why are spirit guides usually seen as male?

What influence I may experience is subtle if it's there at all - maybe it's just me? What I do recognise at times is my words flowing in ways they don't always flow. Sometimes they come so easily and readily I consciously wonder where I got whatever it is I'm writing. When my work is full of errors, typos and poor formatting I'm pretty damned sure it's me. When that's not the case I very much hope it ain't and I'm being 'guided'. (helped along!)

Perhaps those looking to contact their spirit guides should think carefully about what they think a guide actually is and does?

Thank you.

Guides tend to work with you and often they'll understand you better than you understand yourself. Sometimes the dialogue might not work because the person might think they're going crazy. Some people don't respond to being told, often a metaphorical kick in the pants has more of an effect so a Guide would have no qualms about that. I think 'guiding' is the operative word because we still have free will at the end of the day but again what guidance we need may not be what we think we need. For some people dropping the guru for a buddy works better, because the Spiritual quest is seldom about what most in here would term as Spirituality. Guides don't do the 'Human on a Spiritual Journey' bit.

Everybody has mental representations even if they're unconscious ones, the mind needs an 'object' of some description. The mind can cope with even an ethereal figure but voices coming out of seemingly nowhere? If you were working with a guide regularly then you'd be able to describe them, and the the stronger your relationship the 'more solid' they would be.

Guides don't have a gender as such and again gender is a representation of what it means to you. 'Male' Guides tend to be more authoritative, for instance, while female Guides tend to be more 'motherly', it harks back to the animus/anima of Jungian psychology.

It's called Ghost writing and I still do it sometimes when I'm writing posts, I'll notice a slight shift in my frequencies and it comes pouring out. It becomes a little more interesting when you take notice of how you feel, and the more you notice the sharper the awareness of what you're experiencing. One of the reasons people don't display 'sixth sense'/mediumship abilities is their egos (in the Jungian sense), they 'lock on' to their "Sense of I am" and lock out everything else, and usually that includes anything 'supernatural'. Because you're wondering if it's you or not, I don't think you have such a tight hold on your ego and that opens the door for possibilities - and abilities to manifest.

Make Life interesting and forget about being guided or not, just take notice in the moment and see where it goes from there.

I think most people have this imaginary 'look and feel' as to to what a Guide would look like and how the relationship might go. It's human nature, and again the same thing happens when you talk to people regularly in here. What people do need to realise is that the relationship doesn't conform to any rules that simply don't exist. One's relationship with a Guide is very personal. I have a guide that carries a blue teddy called Patches, and another that plays a mean air guitar. I talked to one person who wouldn't talk to their Guide because the Guide wasn't a school ma'am.

Spirit Guides can be people too.

Native spirit 06-06-2021 11:28 AM

What you say is very true, but as for spirit looking in the thirties happens a lot because it is supposed to represent the prime of their lives.
It is to prove that they are whole again no ailments etc.

Namaste