Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Spiritual Development (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   How can I stay in the moment? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=139674)

CosmicWonder 26-03-2021 12:29 PM

How can I stay in the moment?

Heyy,

I have some big trouble staying in the moment. But feel I need it.

Anybody knowing how to advice me in staying in the moment?

Unseeking Seeker 26-03-2021 01:11 PM

Knowing that we always are in the moment
And that thoughts take us away from the present
Doing the opposite, encourage thought to have its way, while watching ...
The involuntary thoughts become self conscious, being observed, so recede
Stomp your foot and ask thoughts where they are! (joke)

Abide in thought rested awareness ... time stretched silence and stillness

JustASimpleGuy 26-03-2021 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CosmicWonder
Heyy,

It's like asking how can I clean & jerk 400 pounds.

Step 1 - Practice.
Step 2 - More practice.
Step 3 - Even more practice.

There are no shortcuts.

CosmicWonder 26-03-2021 01:54 PM

Thanks both :)

ocean breeze 27-03-2021 11:00 AM

Why do you feel the need to stay in the moment??? Is there something you are running from??? Otherwise, why should it matter?

CosmicWonder 27-03-2021 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ocean breeze
Why do you feel the need to stay in the moment??? Is there something you are running from??? Otherwise, why should it matter?

I have a particular life lesson with a friend which makes me have to do this. Not running from. Rather just doing the right thing

MikeS80 05-04-2021 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CosmicWonder
Heyy,

Know that your inner feeling/sense of I AM is always in the present moment physically, mentally and spiritually. Knowing is the same as awareness and realizing. Feel/sense that your feeling/sense of I AM is in the present moment. Feeling/sensing that your feeling/sense of I AM is in the present moment, will put you mentally in the present moment. Feelings/emotions are a lot stronger than thoughts, your feelings/emotions gives you the thoughts you have.

weareunity 05-04-2021 10:28 PM

Hello CosmicWonder.

Simply. We and all are always part of that which is and was and will be.

Cheers.

snowyowl 06-04-2021 07:07 PM

If it's techniques you're after, well there's many to choose from depending on what chimes with you, so some experimenting would be beneficial. I started with beginners' meditation and mindfulness techniques, following the breath, reciting a mantra etc, which really got me going in this work. But there's no telling how long it may take.

But other methods may work equally well. Like if you play a musical instrument, you need to focus on the here-and-now of the notes and rhythm, avoiding distractions, to avoid tripping yourself up. Before my knees went I used to go jogging in a mindful way, getting into a flow with the activity that's happening, without a separate self overcomplicating it.

Eventually I began to have glimpses where me-observing-the-moment flipped into simply-this, when I am the present moment, not in it.

JustASimpleGuy 06-04-2021 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowyowl
If it's techniques you're after, well there's many to choose from depending on what chimes with you, so some experimenting would be beneficial. I started with beginners' meditation and mindfulness techniques, following the breath, reciting a mantra etc, which really got me going in this work. But there's no telling how long it may take.

But other methods may work equally well. Like if you play a musical instrument, you need to focus on the here-and-now of the notes and rhythm, avoiding distractions, to avoid tripping yourself up. Before my knees went I used to go jogging in a mindful way, getting into a flow with the activity that's happening, without a separate self overcomplicating it.

Eventually I began to have glimpses where me-observing-the-moment flipped into simply-this, when I am the present moment, not in it.

The one thing I will say is one cannot read, listen or talk one's self into that state of being. It requires work (read spiritual practices) and not a small amount either. It also requires a burning desire and lots of determination and dedication.