Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Christianity (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   The purpose of sin ? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=142114)

Molearner 23-11-2021 07:54 PM

The purpose of sin ?

For those of us that acknowledge that sin is a reality does it serve a purpose ? For those that notice my posts, I have recently posted one answer…..Romans 5:20…..”The law was added so that the trespass might increase. But where sin increased, grace increased all the more.”

What is at fault here…the law or the sin ? Maybe we are too quick to harangue against sin if we ignore that it might serve a purpose. ‘Praise God in all things’….including allowing free will and, consequently, sin ? Perhaps it should be noted that a small amount of grace can offset a great amount of sin. It may no be a one for one situation. Grease and grace…a small amount of either can be exactly what is needed…..:)

FallingLeaves 24-11-2021 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molearner
What is at fault here…the law or the sin ?

neither, in my view. The law is necessary that we don't die. But maybe not in a way that seems obvious... But sin isn't either the obvious thing everyone thinks it is. What most around you would call 'sin' is in fact arranged in such a way as to be beneficial. Silver linings abound...

The main problem that keeps people from clearly seeing this is all the negative feedback that one gets from others if they partake of certain things that are called 'forbidden'. Apparently, it is not in vogue to go around disagreeing with the proclamations of others...

But it is actually a much better thing than people would suppose, to not be agreeable to believing certain things just because others have stated a strong belief in them... so a certain amount of grace is called for for those who dare go down the path of being disagreeable. No matter what names others decide to call them for their choice to do so, the smile of god is still the smile of god.

of course these days it is in vogue to get the agreement of others when one wants to be disagreeable. one wants to 'agree to disagree' and all that. That is primarily seeking agreement, and has little to do with disagreement other than it being the topic of the agreement... guess you get what you pay for.

Molearner 24-11-2021 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FallingLeaves

of course these days it is in vogue to get the agreement of others when one wants to be disagreeable. one wants to 'agree to disagree' and all that. That is primarily seeking agreement, and has little to do with disagreement other than it being the topic of the agreement... guess you get what you pay for.

FallingLeaves,

Thanks for your comments. I suspected ahead of time that there would be few responses to this. It is also in vogue to be held captive by one’s own beliefs. Possibility thinking belongs to think tanks ..somehow people think that anything that differs from their beliefs is a personal attack on them when it can be actually a way to shed more light that leads to a deeper understanding. There, of course, are many that constantly speak of sin so the thought of considering that it can serve a beneficial purpose silences them…..even if scripture clearly speaks of it.

sky 24-11-2021 08:09 AM

Missing the mark can be of purpose if it results in you aiming better, imo.....

Dan_SF 24-11-2021 08:39 AM

@Op:

You have to understand what following quote, from the bible, means:

Jesus washing the feet of his disciples.

If the answer does not come to you then read my interpretation:

The Holy Spirit is correcting all your previous missteps.

jojo50 24-11-2021 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molearner
For those of us that acknowledge that sin is a reality does it serve a purpose ?

sin is most definitely a reality, though some seem to believe humans can be sin-free. and we should praise Jehovah God for giving us free Will. but he didn't give us free will to do whatever we want such as following a sinful course. he wanted it to be used for the right ,(1Peter 2:16 as free, yet not using liberty as a cloak for wickedness, but as bond servants of God).

if we read up to verses 18 and 19, we can see Paul was saying that through Adam, we were ALL made sinners, (verse 19 For as by one man’s disobedience many were made sinners, so also by one Man’s obedience many will be made righteous). which is why we ALL die. but through Jesus's righteousness we can live.

there's no law to sin, but a Law to be righteous. as Paul said, sin will increase, we see that daily. Paul showed that as much as there'll be sin. there's the Grace of God who gives us chance after chance to repent and be saved. but Jehovah Never put sin in the Heart of humans. this came ONLY when the first couple disobey Jehovah and believed a sneaky wicked angel. well!.. Adam followed his woman! peace

ImthatIm 24-11-2021 02:27 PM

Perfected Love seems to me to be the bullseye and all else is missing the mark (sin). So sin is actually perfecting us in the Love of God by His Grace.

Molearner 24-11-2021 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_SF
You have to understand what following quote, from the bible, means:
Jesus washing the feet of his disciples.
If the answer does not come to you then read my interpretation:
The Holy Spirit is correcting all your previous missteps.

Dan SF,

That scripture invites multiple understandings and interpretations……yours being one. I understand it as an example of forgiveness. With God forgiveness can precede repentance. Furthermore it is an example of humility which is the key that opens the door for the grace of God. The famous scripture that comes to mind is Philippians 2:1-11…which in v. 8 says….”And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself…”

Molearner 24-11-2021 03:04 PM

Having mentioned repentance it is beneficial to get a deeper understanding of what it means. The word most often used for repentance in the NT is metanoia…basically meaning the transformation of the mind. It is true that repentance brings forgiveness but it seems more important that one act of repentance (transforming the mind) can help to bring us in alignment with the will of God. If this happens sin will become foreign to us and continual repentance will not be necessary. We can more easily fulfill our calling to be servants(like Jesus was) rather than constantly needing to be served……

Molearner 24-11-2021 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImthatIm
Perfected Love seems to me to be the bullseye and all else is missing the mark (sin). So sin is actually perfecting us in the Love of God by His Grace.

ImthatIm,

Yes, basically reiterating Romans 5:20…..