Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Religion (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   What are the most conservative religions? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133141)

BigJohn 23-12-2019 10:28 AM

What are the most conservative religions?

What are the most conservative religions.Especially if they predominate one nation.

One religion I have found to be extremely conservative is Buddhism.

Please talk freely on the subject.

Shaunc 23-12-2019 11:29 AM

I'd disagree, I feel that Buddhism is probably one of the least conservative religions. Possibly you are mistaking cultural conservity with religious conservity.
In my opinion the abrahamic religions are far more conservative than the eastern religions.

sky 23-12-2019 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaunc
I'd disagree, I feel that Buddhism is probably one of the least conservative religions. Possibly you are mistaking cultural conservity with religious conservity.
In my opinion the abrahamic religions are far more conservative than the eastern religions.

Agree 100% :smile:

It's strange when you read Posts that reveal their lack of knowledge regarding the subject they Post about.

BigJohn 23-12-2019 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaunc

Countries that are predominately Buddhist, their children have a love for their parents. They are inclined to help their parents who are elderly and possibly sick.

Something that is hard to understand/grasp is why Buddhist countries still have capital punishment. Committing a crime and getting caught in a Buddhist country can be an experience the perpetrator may take a long time to forget.

hazada guess 23-12-2019 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJohn
Countries that are predominately Buddhist, their children have a love for their parents. They are inclined to help their parents who are elderly and possibly sick.

Something that is hard to understand/grasp is why Buddhist countries still have capital punishment. Committing a crime and getting caught in a Buddhist country can be an experience the perpetrator may take a long time to forget.

Yes that seem's strange.I am not a practicing Buddhist but that seems to go against their teachings.:confused:

sky 23-12-2019 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJohn

I have tried to explain previously, so in simple terms,

Buddhists by name but not by nature.... They are NOT practising Buddhism as taught by the Buddha.

An action, even if it brings benefit to oneself, cannot be considered a good action if it causes physical and mental pain to another being.

The Buddha

If a person foolishly does me wrong, I will return to him the protection of my boundless love. The more evil that comes from him, the more good will go from me.

The Buddha.

There are only two Countries, Bhutan and Cambodia that have Buddhism as their official State Religion, both abolished Capital Punishment.

BigJohn 23-12-2019 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sky123
I have tried to explain previously, so in simple terms,

Buddhists by name but not by nature.... They are NOT practising Buddhism as taught by the Buddha.

An action, even if it brings benefit to oneself, cannot be considered a good action if it causes physical and mental pain to another being.

The Buddha

If a person foolishly does me wrong, I will return to him the protection of my boundless love. The more evil that comes from him, the more good will go from me.

The Buddha.

There are only two Countries, Bhutan and Cambodia that have Buddhism as their official State Religion, both abolished Capital Punishment.

Odd, you hold Christians to a higher standard then you do Buddhist.

BigJohn 23-12-2019 06:48 PM

I was not talking about countries that have Buddhism as a State religion but nations that are predominately Buddhism.

One State executioner wrote a book about some of the people he executed.

I read his book with the purpose of debunking his 'belief'.

One execution was of a woman who was apprehended with a baby loaded with drugs. He claimed "What do you do with a person like her?" They had her sit in a fashion in which her hands were outward and forward. They tied 3 lotus blossoms and three incense sticks in her hand. Behind her, they put up a white sheet and had a doctor mark on the sheet were her heart aligned up. Then the executioner fired the machine gun.

I could not believe this till I realized she stuffed the baby with drugs. the baby was already dead. Now that country executes with drugs. Some Brits have written books about serving half of their time in that country and the rest in their home country. They did not prefer being in their own country.

You did mention Bhutan which very few people have ever seen. They keep extreme tabs on visitors entering their country. They are one of the hardest nations to visit. Bhutan has some of the nicest people around.

Then there is Cambodia. The Killing Fields were one of the greatest nightmares to come out of that country. I never saw a Cambodian woman who did not have a scar.

Then you look at China, one of the largest for capital crime executions.

Please remember, I am only looking at the Conservative aspect of the main religions. In this respect, I consider Buddhism fairly conservative

inavalan 23-12-2019 07:13 PM

Is "conservative" good? Is it bad? Is "liberal" better? Worse?

Look at the results and judge, not at the promises!

Besides, each religion has so many flavors, and further: people interpret them so differently. You can't judge the whole by some of its parts, nut even by the sum of them.

Shaunc 23-12-2019 07:15 PM

John, all countries have bad people, there's no utopian society. The U.S. executes convicted criminals and it's predominantly Christian, Saudi Arabia executes criminals and it's predominantly Moslem, India executes criminals and it's predominantly Hindu.
Yes pol pot was Buddhist, Adolf Hitler was Christian, Stalin was an atheist and Saddam Hussein was a Moslem.
If you want to compare religions that's fine but don't bring different countries political and judicial systems into the argument, it just muddies the water.