Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Taoism (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   How many people are on Taoist Road on SF? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=85514)

jolanda 06-05-2015 10:33 AM

How many people are on Taoist Road on SF?

I wonder how many people are on Taoist Road on SF...

Jolanda

chevron1 07-05-2015 07:52 PM

jolanda, do you know if taoism is the only religion for a people who are not well?

sandalwood 18-07-2015 08:17 PM

im taoist
i dont consider myself exclusively taoist
but those are my roots
and i continue to male it part of my path

Mystic Mark 02-04-2016 05:06 PM

I've practiced it (some of it) before. I mostly follow Hinduism, but I take from any religion what I believe to be valuable. I believe that every religion understands the same truths, even though they often go about utilizing those understandings in different ways, for different purposes.

Just wondering 19-04-2016 12:38 PM

Reading Taoistic texts has been my guide light for the past few years. It's the only philosophy that resonates with my experience and it helps me grow.
I have moved closer to nature to keep my Tao flowing freely.

bob love 03-08-2016 07:56 PM

there are twin aspects of the Dao each encapsulating the nucleus of the other as in the yin yang, religious and philosophical (in a nut shell) religion requires faith, there,s faith then there's "Blind Faith" each unto our own, as ling as we walk the middle path of least resistance maybe lol lol

xxxALxxx

lilith 21-11-2016 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystic Mark
I've practiced it (some of it) before. I mostly follow Hinduism, but I take from any religion what I believe to be valuable. I believe that every religion understands the same truths, even though they often go about utilizing those understandings in different ways, for different purposes.

I agree.
Taoism feels natural to me and difficult at the same time. It's seems simple but it's not so easy to truly practice it. From my experience.
So just 5 people? :smile:

FallingLeaves 21-11-2016 11:57 PM

I quit calling myself taoist when the name started hurting. But I empathize with it deeply :smile:

Hemera 25-11-2016 05:01 PM

Hi, yes I think I am, but rather like FallingLeaves, I try not to become consumed or defined by the label..

Blessings

Earth Healer 04-12-2016 10:37 PM

Hear hear...

Rubicon 05-12-2016 11:29 PM

I do my best to follow the wisdom of Tao. After all it's the way things work. I ts just that I seem to be stumbling an awful lot at the moment. Does anyone else feel the same?

FallingLeaves 06-12-2016 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubicon
I do my best to follow the wisdom of Tao. After all it's the way things work. I ts just that I seem to be stumbling an awful lot at the moment. Does anyone else feel the same?

well this will probably sound trite, but I thought one day, stumbling is also part of the tao.

bob love 07-01-2017 09:16 PM

Taoist Road on SF.

what is the SF am i missing something ovious

xxxxxxxxxxxbobxxxxxx

FallingLeaves 07-01-2017 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob love
Taoist Road on SF.

what is the SF am i missing something ovious

xxxxxxxxxxxbobxxxxxx

SF = Spiritual Forums (this site)

Shaunc 07-01-2017 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystic Mark

That's more or less what I do. I was born Catholic, follow mostly Buddhism by choice, I also read a bit of taoism which incidentally has the same 5 precepts of Buddhism and I also like to read about some of the nature religions like native American and celtic paganism.
I'm not a great believer in sectarianism.

bob love 15-01-2017 12:19 PM

Thanks for the heads up Shaunc

One of my teaches says he likes to draw his water from many wells.( I usually use that) what I like about the teachings is I don't have to learn lots of new words or memorise tons of writings, I like the simplicity of it all, and I am top at forgetting stuff, so I am half way there already, utilise my powers work on my weaknesses.
life is simple its us that makes it over complicated, I think.

never STOP loving xxxxxxxxxbxxxxxxxxx:hug:

r6r6 17-10-2017 12:22 AM

The Modern Tao, Flowing While Going

I'm on the Taoist road unfortunately tho, all the traffic is going the other way. :icon_eek:

I must stop drinking an practicing Taoism at same time. :wink:

I love the Tao but Confucius offers more music and I love British Ska, Afro-Beat, Third World etc.:headbang:

The other thing that hangs me back with the Tao, is, that whole worshiping our ancestors thing.
Isn't just respecting our elders satisfactory? :hippy2:

r6

Berry 17-10-2017 02:25 AM

I have roots in Taoism and Buddhism. I learned that my ancestral spirits/ deities do not want us worshiping them. They rather see us evolve on our journeys on Earth.

r6r6 17-10-2017 01:27 PM

Luna - Gayageum - Voo Doo Child

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfOHjeI-Bns

Evolution of Asian Gayageum music by Luna{ Voo Doo Child }

While my guitar gently weeps Gayageum style
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LOH...DTV RJHxZaDRM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berry
I have roots in Taoism and Buddhism. I learned that my ancestral spirits/ deities do not want us worshiping them. They rather see us evolve on our journeys on Earth.

Golden Eagle 24-10-2017 03:27 PM

The Tao is not a road ... .....

The Tao simply IS ~

The Way of the Tao IS an UNDOING of all illusions UNTIL ..... all illussions have been burnt up and all that remains is TRUTH ~

r6r6 24-10-2017 05:28 PM

Abosolute and Relative Truths

Tao IS, moderation of angle and frequency.

Angle and frequency are complemented by a finite set of eternal{ inviolate } cosmic laws/principles ergo absolute truths.

Ex there can only exist five regular/symmetrical polyhedra of Universe.

Angle and frequency can be assigned relative truths by humans. The sky is blue. Yes, that is true on Earth sometimes. Not true on some planets, or moons nor on Earth all of the time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Eagle
The Tao is not a road ... .....
The Tao simply IS ~
The Way of the Tao IS an UNDOING of all illusions UNTIL ..... all illussions have been burnt up and all that remains is TRUTH ~

r6r6 26-10-2017 04:13 AM

I was addicted to the Tao, and then--( I turned myself around )---uhh, wait, no, that was the Hokey Pokey.

I gave my heart to the Tao, and then I was without heart. Emotional transplant perhaps?

I flew with flow only to land on Earth.

The Tao begat the Tao and called them a nuclear growth of chemicals > hormones > change...and the beat goes on......yeah...and the beat go on.

Frequency of events, Tom-Toms, Bong-Bongs...beating the night away?

And then slower, lower frequency of events, and sleep, deep and restful, SLEEP, SLEEP, SLEEP.

Sominex tonight and put the Tao to SLEEP.

Studies have shown that the appropriate music is one of many ways that enhance falling asleep.

The Tao leaves a trail of white noise, to approximate the sound of a constant bliss, even as it flows in our sleep, and we have no knowledge of it, or the ensuing bliss, that we can recall.

We tune-out of the Tao, as dispersion of gravitonic and darkionic quanta, at ultra-micro scales of existence, beyond the relevance of every day consciousness.

....locally OUT....( IN )( IN )...OUT locally .... of relevant system that is most relevant to our consciousness daily experiences.

Macro-infinite COSMIC OUT
( IN THE SYSTEM )( IN THE SYSTEM ) OUT COSMICALLYMacro-infinitenon-occupied space.

The occupied space Tao, is naught created, nor destroyed.

The metaphysical-1 Tao, comes and goes with metaphysical-1, mind/accessing critters abilities to conceptualize.

Mass is interference...R. P. eynman

Observed { quantised } interference by humans is represented by sine-wave pattern, over-time as a set of beginning and ending events, we call particles of discreet finite sized values{ quanta }.

Pixels are composed of atoms ergo electron{s} cloud around proton accumulate as specific atoms{ elements } > molecules{ slicon } then used to create pixels on screen, that combine elements to give off various frequencies of color.

The occupied space Tao, comes in many colors.

The metaphysical-1 Tao, is colorless, tasteless, sizeless, massless, smelless, spin-less, charge-less etc. This Tao can only be said to flow, whenever it exists as in being exisent in complement to the occupied space.

Oops, Ive rambled on. Such is the way of the conceptualizing Tao, flowing, with conceptual integrites, then loss of acute mental imaging recalls.

Now where is that sominex, or maybe these days it is commonly more Unisom { doclymine succinate ? }.

Suck on this above diatribe too deeply and you may go to sleep, or be awake the rest of the night.

Ive not done the music pathway to sleep much but my guess those lab studies were on to some truths, at for some percentage of people.

ebuc

r6r6 06-02-2018 05:30 PM

Acending Decending

Round and round and round we go, where the Tao stops nobody knows.

Wait a sec, who says the Tao stops. The Tao eternally flows and we just jump on an off as it flows. Sort of like an escalator.

Ascending then descending /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ sine-wave pattern of observed reality

Quote:

Originally Posted by r6r6r
I was addicted to the Tao, and then--( I turned myself around )---uhh, wait, no, that was the Hokey Pokey.

I gave my heart to the Tao, and then I was without heart. Emotional transplant perhaps?

I flew with flow only to land on Earth.

The Tao begat the Tao and called them a nuclear growth of chemicals > hormones > change...and the beat goes on......yeah...and the beat go on.

And then slower, lower frequency of events, and sleep, deep and restful, SLEEP, SLEEP, SLEEP.

Sominex tonight and put the Tao to SLEEP.

Studies have shown that the appropriate music is one of many ways that enhance falling asleep.

The Tao leaves a trail of white noise, to approximate the sound of a constant bliss, even as it flows in our sleep, and we have no knowledge of it, or the ensuing bliss, that we can recall.

We tune-out of the Tao, as dispersion of gravitonic and darkionic quanta, at ultra-micro scales of existence, beyond the relevance of every day consciousness.

....locally OUT....( IN )( IN )...OUT locally .... of relevant system that is most relevant to our consciousness daily experiences.

Macro-infinite COSMIC OUT
( IN THE SYSTEM )( IN THE SYSTEM ) OUT COSMICALLYMacro-infinitenon-occupied space.

The occupied space Tao, is naught created, nor destroyed.

The metaphysical-1 Tao, comes and goes with metaphysical-1, mind/accessing critters abilities to conceptualize.

Mass is interference...R. P. eynman

Observed { quantised } interference by humans is represented by sine-wave pattern, over-time as a set of beginning and ending events, we call particles of discreet finite sized values{ quanta }.

Pixels are composed of atoms ergo electron{s} cloud around proton accumulate as specific atoms{ elements } > molecules{ slicon } then used to create pixels on screen, that combine elements to give off various frequencies of color.

The occupied space Tao, comes in many colors.

The metaphysical-1 Tao, is colorless, tasteless, sizeless, massless, smelless, spin-less, charge-less etc. This Tao can only be said to flow, whenever it exists as in being exisent in complement to the occupied space.

Oops, Ive rambled on. Such is the way of the conceptualizing Tao, flowing, with conceptual integrites, then loss of acute mental imaging recalls.

Now where is that sominex, or maybe these days it is commonly more Unisom { doclymine succinate ? }.

Suck on this above diatribe too deeply and you may go to sleep, or be awake the rest of the night.

Ive not done the music pathway to sleep much but my guess those lab studies were on to some truths, at for some percentage of people.

ebuc

r6r6 12-07-2018 05:03 PM

....Mind><Occupied Space....

Quote:

Originally Posted by r6r6r
Round and round and round we go, where the Tao stops nobody knows.

Go with the wave-linear flow \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/*\/*\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I am within the wave and the wave is within me.

We cannot go without the wave-linear flow were embedded in. The wave-linear flow with us can cease to exist by fading way to less amplitude and lower frequencies.

The physical flow of the winds and currents are what the earliest Tao-like people followed. Those were occupied space phenomena.

To follow the metaphysical-1 flow of humans is to learn to sail/tack into the wind and against the current.

Both physical, occupied space, and metaphysical-1 mind/intellect/concepts, are to be respected.

Uncarved Block 19-01-2019 08:44 PM

I'm a Philosophical Taoist. I have no belief system.

r6r6 03-03-2019 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncarved Block
I'm a Philosophical Taoist. I have no belief system.

Or so you believe.

System = organization

Chaos = no organization

ant 08-03-2019 08:16 AM

You have an over active mind r6r6r,that's cool too.

Settle it and be in control as a suggestion,start thinking more from the heart,not the mind.

Well a pact of sorts.

r6r6 08-03-2019 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elabr8Aspie
You have an over active mind r6r6r,that's cool too.
Settle it and be in control as a suggestion,start thinking more from the heart,not the mind.Well a pact of sorts.

PLease address the specifics of any comments by me, that, you feel are incorrect.

I was addicted to the Tao, and then--( I turned myself around )---uhh, wait, no, that was the Hokey Pokey.:icon_eek:

I gave my heart to the Tao, and then I was without heart. Emotional transplant perhaps? :angel10:

I flew with flow only to land on Earth. :angel7:

Take Sominex tonight and put the Tao to SLEEP. :sleepy1:

We tune-out of the Tao, as dispersion of gravitonic <><> quanta and darkionic <><> quanta, at ultra-micro scales of existence, beyond the relevance of every day consciousness.

panther2eye 15-03-2019 04:43 AM

I follow it to the best of my ability. Although, I do not go by labels. I tend to not like labeling things, I always feel like people will go 'oh really? well then why don't you do this or why don't you live in a hut?' So I don't label :P

dybmh 04-04-2019 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jolanda
I wonder how many people are on Taoist Road on SF

I am not yet on the Taoist Road, but I am looking at the map and it looks like a peaceful way to make some progress.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fallingleaves
I quit calling myself taoist when the name started hurting. But I empathize with it deeply

What do you mean, "name started hurting"?

Quote:

Originally Posted by panther2eye
I do not go by labels. I tend to not like labeling things,

I agree with this very much. I do not like labels either.

FallingLeaves 05-04-2019 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dybmh
What do you mean, "name started hurting"?

apparently, clinging to something too tightly is a guaranteed way to attract the return...

dybmh 05-04-2019 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FallingLeaves
apparently, clinging to something too tightly is a guaranteed way to attract the return...

I can relate.
Thank you for the reply.

Petey 07-04-2019 11:16 AM

Funny...I have read a lot about taoism and "studied" it, mostly through the Dao de Jing and Zhuangzi. I have dabbled in all kinds of commentaries (lots!), but the DdJ and Zhuangzi I read with more sincerity. I really try to apply or at least see taoist principles in my daily life. It's a philosophy/life path that makes most sense to me. It has proven itself to be true 100% of the time in my life. Still, I don't call myself a taoist. Even if I'm talking with people about religion, spirituality, etc. I don't mention taoism or that I "practice" it.

r6r6 27-09-2019 06:51 PM

...............@{* T *}@................

Quote:

I wonder how many people are on Taoist Road on SF...
Jolanda

All of them start on that tao road yet many are not conscious of their stepping off taoist road to investigate sites along the road.
We begin the taoist road in the womb and as we go forward in time we step off to this side or that side of the road of tao.
Just as some say the poor is always with, so is the taoist road.

paragon 14-11-2019 12:15 AM

Oooh, me me me!!! :smile:

The Tao is the only religious text that appeals to me. The very first verse sums up my whole attitude to spirituality - we can't know the nature of the eternal uncreated; we can only view aspects of it through the cloudy lens of the 10,000 things. I think if everyone started with this basic assumption then a whole lot of people's spiritual journeys would be far more centered on the search for truth and wisdom rather than the seeking of novel experiences or the acquisition of powers.

With his initial assumption from verse 1, Lao Tzu then goes on to concisely describe the few immutable truths that we can discern about the world, without adding a single concept of his own devising. No other text is so perfectly concise and rings so perfectly true. I feel like when I really understand the Tao, I will understand all that there is to be understood.

Unfortunately, others then appropriated the Taoist banner and added lots of novel concepts of their own devising, none of which I have yet found any use for, and which seem to contradict the central simplicity of the Tao. Humans can't resist complicating things or making up stories. If you accidentally lock a man in a room for 5 minutes, by the time you let him out he'll have invented an entire philosophical narrative about why he was locked there, who the mysterious man with the key is, and what untold wonders lie beyond the closed door. :biggrin:

FallingLeaves 20-12-2019 03:21 AM

even in such a simple book there is a lot to learn....
I only recently figured out about the 'five flavors' lol!

Stardust 05-02-2020 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just wondering
Reading Taoistic texts has been my guide light for the past few years. It's the only philosophy that resonates with my experience and it helps me grow.
I have moved closer to nature to keep my Tao flowing freely.

Same here! I searched many years for 'answers' .... finding Taoism made me stop searching :smile:

BigJohn 21-02-2020 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paragon
Oooh, me me me!!! :smile:

The Tao is the only religious text that appeals to me. The very first verse sums up my whole attitude to spirituality - we can't know the nature of the eternal uncreated; we can only view aspects of it through the cloudy lens of the 10,000 things. I think if everyone started with this basic assumption then a whole lot of people's spiritual journeys would be far more centered on the search for truth and wisdom rather than the seeking of novel experiences or the acquisition of powers.

With his initial assumption from verse 1, Lao Tzu then goes on to concisely describe the few immutable truths that we can discern about the world, without adding a single concept of his own devising. No other text is so perfectly concise and rings so perfectly true.. :biggrin:

You have some very interesting insights that involve probably all belief systems.

ketzer 28-02-2020 08:02 PM

Quote:

I wonder how many people are on Taoist Road on SF... Jolanda

I didn't know there was a Taoist Road on SF or elsewhere. I wonder how many Taoists are traveling on Taoist Roads, and how many Taoist's just are.

Hologram8 14-09-2020 01:25 AM

I don't read the books - but I do physical monastic exercises

I am interested in some things and not others
sometimes I join social groups about taoism on other websites -
but then I leave the group if I go somewhere like the Daobums forum -
because I don't want to be associated with taoism after visiting that forum or seeing people being cult followers of books

I watch a lot of videos about taoist magic from a taoist magic sect
I find it interesting

I don't find learning to play music interesting

I find Chinese medicine interesting

I am mainly interested in the martial arts sects

I was also a good christian - but I didn't want to be associated with christianity after being around the churches and rescue missions because there are a lot of evil people there - I also don't like reading the bible or people being cult followers of the book and preaching from it

then I was a good Buddhist and I didn't eat meat or kill spiders or mosquitos -
but then I started listening to buddhist monks preaching and reading Buddhist scriptures - and I didn't want to be associated with Buddhism after that

I have wanted to go to China to learn martial arts and Chinese medicine at some of the Wudang taoist temples

but then I see that part of your learning is playing music - which I don't want to do - and I see that you have to participate in religious dogma stuff and I'm not interested in going there anymore after that

so I wouldn't call myself a taoist - but I am interested in a lot of taoist stuff
and I do a lot of taoist stuff

I just don't do all taoist stuff

I'm more of a taoist than anything else probably - but also with some christianity and buddhism thrown in

but I'm not a christian - a buddhist - or a taoist - though I do seem to be on a taoist path

when I see a religion I can usually grasp the concept of being good and not evil -- but anything beyond that tends to just push me away from the religion

if I keep it simple and stay away from everyone else - it will work for me

one christian preacher said that the written word kills the faith -

I am usually creeped out by cults - I don't need all the dogma and politics - I just need to know that it's good and not evil and then I will be okay with it

once it gets complicated I won't be okay with it anymore - I will just get away from it

I am into tarot and Oracle cards --

I have an I Ching deck -- it's the tao Oracle but it's probably my least used deck -- I am going to put the cards in order and go through the 64 hexagrams and do the energy postures associated with the hexagrams as part of my monastic exercises

Right now I am only doing 17 energy postures - so I will take a break from that at some point and do 64 postures from the 64 hexagrams - that will take 64 days at two and a half hours per posture
.actually it's more like 128 postures than 64
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k76FVp0udVs
though I don't study the I Ching --I only do the physical part - I study something else
I could study the I Ching as well if I found it interesting enough - but at this point it would just interrupt what I'm already studying
Maybe some day I will study the I Ching - but not today - today I will do the physical exercises associated with the I Ching & study something different at the same time
a lot of it probably has to do with the fact that I hate reading -- I like audiobooks - but I hate to read
I don't like all audiobooks though -- it has to interest me