Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Interfaith (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Quotes from "Holy Books or Scripture" you personally don't like! (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129089)

Taking a Break 20-04-2019 06:15 PM

Quotes from "Holy Books or Scripture" you personally don't like!

Quotes from "Holy Books or Scripture" and "Holy or Enlightened" People you personally don't like!
Please be specific about your source!

Bible Matthew 15:22-28 Jesus said “It is not right to take the bread of the children and throw it to the little dogs.”

:hug3:

Taking a Break 20-04-2019 06:55 PM

Quran 5:72.
They do blaspheme who say: "(Allah) is Christ the
son of Mary." But said Christ:(782) "O Children of
Israel! worship Allah, my Lord and your Lord."
Whoever joins other gods with Allah,- Allah will forbid
him the garden, and the Fire will be his abode. There
will for the wrong-doers be no one to help.

Miss Hepburn 20-04-2019 07:53 PM

I don't think we have ever had a topic here like this.
It could be endless, my friend! :tongue:

I personally skim over those kinds of verses...ick...I wave them away like
the nonsense they are.
So, tho, there are many ...I can't give my attention to them....
like looking at a train wreck...glimpse and move on! (Awayyyyy....)

Taking a Break 21-04-2019 01:02 PM

Bible - Exodus 32:27
Then he said to them, “This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: ‘Each man strap a sword to his side. Go back and forth through the camp from one end to the other, each killing his brother and friend and neighbor.’”

Untersberg56 21-04-2019 01:40 PM

The "Lord God of Israel" gave this command through Moses in response to the idolatry into which the Israelites had fallen.

No matter which deity they worshipped, other tribes beyond the circle of the Israelites would not qualify for the massacre since racially they were not expected to worship the "Lord God of Israel"

So what exactly is the point being made by the previous correspondent?

Taking a Break 21-04-2019 05:33 PM

The Levites did as Moses commanded, and that day about three thousand of the people died.

Untersberg56 21-04-2019 07:11 PM

Yes,yes,yes, we know all that. But what is the point you are making?

Taking a Break 21-04-2019 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Untersberg56
Yes,yes,yes, we know all that. But what is the point you are making?

The point is I am very sad, I am not judging and I am happy about Genesis 22
"Do not lay a hand on the boy," he said. "Do not do anything to him. Now I know that you fear God, because you have not withheld from me your son, your only son."

Taking a Break 21-04-2019 09:55 PM

Quran 5:73
Those who say, “Allah is one in a Trinity,” have certainly fallen into disbelief. There is only One God. If they do not stop saying this, those who disbelieve among them will be afflicted with a painful punishment.

Taking a Break 22-04-2019 01:45 AM

The Easter Sunday bombings,
Officials say 207 killed and 450 injured in attacks on four hotels and three churches in Sri Lanka.

After a 26-year military campaign, the Sri Lankan military (Buddhists) defeated the Tamil Tigers (Hindus)in May 2009, bringing the civil war to an end, with an initial estimated 80,000–100,000 people killed during its course.

Taking a Break 22-04-2019 01:39 PM

Sad about:
Leviticus 25:43
Do not rule over them ruthlessly, but fear your God.

but happy about:
1 John 4:18
There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

Untersberg56 22-04-2019 04:24 PM

Yes, but these attacks were clearly aimed against Christians, not by Buddhists or Hindus, but by the World Enemy, which was why Christian congregations and European tourists were the target.

Again, what is the point your mind is trying to make? Was your mind sad upon hearing the news about this atrocity, or happy?

Untersberg56 22-04-2019 04:29 PM

Whereas "Edit" facility offers edit/delete, there is no obvious way to delete.

Taking a Break 22-04-2019 07:17 PM

I'm sorry, I don't have any conspiracy theories, just lots of sadness when people die tragically, maybe you should tell me what you would like to hear.

Untersberg56 23-04-2019 02:05 AM

The Sri Lankan authorities have arrested 24 people from the minority Muslim community in connection with the multiple blasts that killed over 290 people on Sunday last. Police have admitted that the suspects are all from the minority Muslim community. The van carrying explosives to make the bomb attacks was driven by a Muslim who has been arrested. A safe house where the bombers had lived for nearly three months before the attacks has been discovered in the suburb of Panadwa south of Colombo.

I think we are already well beyond the realms of conspiracy theory. What one would like to know, since you invite the question and this is the Interfaith forum, is where you stand as regards religious beliefs and what was your real motive in drawing attention in that peculiar manner to the massacre.

Wally 23-04-2019 02:29 AM

Do unto other before they do unto you.

JosephineB 23-04-2019 06:48 AM

Quote:

Do unto other before they do unto you.

KJV
Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets. Matthew 7:12

The Golden Rule is the principle of treating others as one's self would wish to be treated. It is a maxim that is found in many religions and cultures. The Golden Rule can be considered an ethic of reciprocity in some religions, although other religions treat it differently.

Wally 23-04-2019 08:47 AM

An I for an I

Wally 23-04-2019 08:47 AM

Blessed are the cheesemakers

Wally 23-04-2019 08:49 AM

It is easier for a camel to pass through an eye of a needle than for Wally to enter Heaven

Wally 23-04-2019 08:52 AM

Run away from your family if they disapprove of you being a Catholic

Wally 23-04-2019 08:56 AM

Thats not a kingdom.
Now this ........ is a kingdom!

JosephineB 23-04-2019 12:53 PM

Are you ok Wally?

Please be careful not to spread untruths if that isn't your intention.

Taking a Break 23-04-2019 01:03 PM

Quote:

is where you stand as regards religious beliefs

I am not religious, I am not going to church, mosque, temple or any other organization.
I do meditate with a mantra (transcendental meditation) 2 times daily for 20 minutes.
Out of curiosity I personally studied the Bible and the Quran a long time ago maybe to understand the way people are.
My conclusion so far is that humans will always fight each other, majority vs minority, majority vs majority,minority vs minority etc. and they fight because of money, wealth, political power, religious reason, color, race, for having another opinion, beauty, women, men, intelligence, culture, language, jalousie, even when debating, writing a good story etc.

I hope you are satisfied with my answer regarding religious beliefs.

Jainarayan 23-04-2019 01:43 PM

The "clobber verses" of the Bible.
  • Leviticus 18:22
  • 1 Corinthians 6:9-10
  • 1 Timothy 1:9-10
  • Romans 1:26-27
I am gay but not Christian (anymore). I'm Hindu, which has nothing theological to say about homosexuality, gender-fluidity, or any "alternative" sexuality for that matter. I don't take these verses seriously for myself (anymore), but I feel the conflict, anguish and pain they cause to gay Christians. And while it's probably true these verses cannot and should not be taken at face value, having a deeper context and meaning, they are taken at face value by those who have a thing against homosexuality.

Taking a Break 23-04-2019 02:00 PM

Quote:

what was your real motive in drawing attention in that peculiar manner to the massacre.

Do you mean the quote I posted sunday 21-04-2019, about the Bible - Exodus 32:27
Then he said to them, “This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: ‘Each man strap a sword to his side. Go back and forth through the camp from one end to the other, each killing his brother and friend and neighbor.’”

This is just a quote from the bible I don't like, nothing less and nothing more.
My apologies for upsetting you.
I'm against killing/executing people for whatever reasons, even the death sentence/penalty, they should re-educate all criminals. (not the communist way)
I hope your satisfied with my answer, be specific another time because I'm guessing a lot about your intentions. Did I hurt your feelings? Was that quote from the Bible unethical at that time? etc.

Untersberg56 23-04-2019 03:29 PM

Taking a Break

Thank you for your two replies which are satisfactory. Try to be clear about the points you wish to make.
My feelings do not get hurt. I have a hybrid religion. I am not of the Jewish race and therefore I see no reason to take account of the Old Testament.

Wally

"St.Bernard had a vision in which he beheld two ladders extending from Earth to Heaven. At the top of one ladder the Christ appeared, and Mary was at the top of the other. Those trying to enter Heaven by Christ's ladder were constantly tumbling down and meeting with perpetual failure, those who attempted it by Mary's ladder always succeeded, for she put forth her hands to assist them."

Bishop Alphonse de Ligouri was responsible more than any other for promoting the worship of Mary. In his book "The Glories of Mary" he explained that Jesus rules the Kingdom of Justice whereas Mary rules the Kingdom of Mercy.

At Fatima on 13 June 1917 the Immaculata declared that She wished to establish in the world devotion to Her Immaculate Heart, and promised salvation to those who embrace it. At Heede twenty years later She proclaimed Herself to be Queen of the Universe.

JosephineB 23-04-2019 03:38 PM

I'm as confused as Taking a Break by Untersburg56 comments. OP was just quoting from scripture, nothing was mentioned about any attack originally was it.

Untersberg56 23-04-2019 09:14 PM

He and I have exchanged private messages. There is no problem.

JosephineB 23-04-2019 09:22 PM

:thumbsup:

Wally 23-04-2019 09:23 PM

You cant leave Jesus out of mercy

Untersberg56 24-04-2019 12:38 AM

"It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle that for Wally to enter Heaven." Not much chance of mercy from Jesus for you then.

sky 24-04-2019 08:09 AM

Quote:

"It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle that for Wally to enter Heaven." Not much chance of mercy from Jesus for you then.

Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you.

Wally 24-04-2019 08:38 AM

And those who cannot laugh at themselves will not pass Go and instead go straight to Hell.

Untersberg56 24-04-2019 12:15 PM

Sky 123

As usual you have jumped to an offensive and unwarranted conclusion. I am quoting Wally's own earlier posting which appears at the foot of page two. My advice to you is not to get yourself involved in conversations until you have read and understood the thread.

WALLY

You said "And those who cannot laugh at themselves will not pass Go and instead go straight to Hell." We ALL go immediately to Purgatory, not hell, from where the DEVOTEES of the Virgin are promised redemption within seven days.

I was taught to laugh at myself by colleagues in my first job over half a century ago. Eventually I found it so much easier to laugh at myself along with them than continally take umbrage.

Taking a Break 28-04-2019 05:40 PM

“The unbelievers among the People of the Book [Bible] and the pagans shall burn for ever in the fire of Hell. They are the vilest of all creatures.” Quran 98:6

Taking a Break 28-04-2019 05:43 PM

“Believers, take neither the Jews nor the Christians for your friends. They are friends with one another…” Quran 5:51

Taking a Break 28-04-2019 05:54 PM

If a Brahmin (highest caste) abuses a Shudra (lowest caste), he is to be fined mildly, but if a Shudra abuses a Brahmin, he is to be killed. (Manusmriti, 8:267/268)

davidmartin 29-04-2019 10:54 PM

An eternity of this is the apocalypse of peter, the Koran version of hell is way better
"And near those there were again women and men gnawing their own lips, and being punished and receiving a red-hot iron in their eyes: and these were they who blasphemed and slandered the way of righteousness."

Miss Hepburn 02-05-2019 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
....like looking at a train wreck...