Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Christianity (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Is G-d Omniscient ( All Knowing )? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129071)

dybmh 19-04-2019 06:05 PM

Is G-d Omniscient ( All Knowing )?

In a recent online discussion the topic was raised: is G-d Omniscient ( All Knowing )?

My understanding, up until now, was that Judaism, Christianity, and Islam all agree that G-d is Omniscient.

However, a self-identified Christian opposed and said, "No G-d cannot be All-knowing".

Questions for Christians and Catholics:

In your view is G-d All Knowing?
What is the accepted mainstream view of G-d's Omniscience in Christianity and Catholism?

Thank you in advance, and Happy Easter! :smile:

davidmartin 19-04-2019 11:38 PM

I don't see how it could be denied that God is all-knowing in Christianity
even if theoretically you can imagine scenarios like 'he chooses not to know certain things' or 'she is bored by some things and doesn't see them' or is limited in some way all are possible... but without any information to that you would have to take the default position of omniscience

I don't know about Judaism and Islam
The gnostic view would be that God is all-knowing but has been taken captive by one of his/her own offspring - not everywhere but only in our universe. If it were everywhere then these offspring couldn't be seperate beings but thoughts within God's mind able to supress other aspects of divine consciousness. The gnostic view might support a weakening of God's ability to know everything, but i can't see that in normal Christianity getting any theological support!

inavalan 19-04-2019 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dybmh
In a recent online discussion the topic was raised: is G-d Omniscient ( All Knowing )?

My understanding, up until now, was that Judaism, Christianity, and Islam all agree that G-d is Omniscient.

However, a self-identified Christian opposed and said, "No G-d cannot be All-knowing".

What is the accepted mainstream view of G-d's Omniscience in Christianity and Catholism?

What do you mean by "G-d"?

dybmh 20-04-2019 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inavalan
What do you mean by "G-d"?

In the context of the discussion that triggered the question, G-d is the Father who created the world at the beginning of Genesis.

Note: I just realized... I am Typing G-d instead of God. Apologies. That is an old custom relating to the prohibition not to say the Lord's name in vain ( aka outside of prayer ). I hope that wasn't unintentionally offensive in some way. :icon_eek: :icon_redface: :redface:

rstrats 27-04-2019 12:08 PM

dybmh,
re: "I am Typing G-d instead of God. Apologies. That is an old custom relating to the prohibition not to say the Lord's name in vain..."

Actually, god is the supreme being's title and not His name.

Miss Hepburn 27-04-2019 01:05 PM

Quote:

I could only answer this one question. This does not come from
any reading, doctrine or dogma or any intellectual speculation...
but from my many personal, intimate

experiences:
Oh my, is God All-knowing. There is not a dust particle floating in a
beam of sunshine that exists if not for Him.
He is digesting your food at this moment and making every hair on
billions of heads grow, He hears the new born robin's eyes blink...
He feels the burrowing of every root as it searches for water and stretches to
the Sun for life. He is leading every flock of birds around the world at this very moment to their destination
and at the same time is at the depths of every inch of every ocean as every

fish is wiggling it's tail.
There is not a thought in any mind that He is not aware of...Oh my, yes...
this unimaginable One Spiritual Being, by any name or label, is all-knowing and all-feeling...and dwells within everything.

But, don't take my word for it, take no one's word...Be still...and know for yourself. :hug3:

little.nation 27-04-2019 05:10 PM

Quote:

100% completely all-knowing, and omni-present.

Consider demons. Demons are knowing (they know things they could not possibly know but they do). Demons certainly do not know more or better than God.

I had this problem with lucifer (he lives in the city next door to me). He would often say things to me like as if he had been standing over my shoulder my whole life, knowing things he could not possibly know. Well, he knew - and he made sure to let me know that he knew.

And now i know. Much of the spiritual knowledge I have is because of him, but not only him.

Years ago, I created something (or only achieved it, meaning that it might have existed before I thought of it) called the botany test.

If someone claims they are God (as lucifer does) they must be able to pass the botany test.

Trees, plants, shrubs and flowers have scientific names and common names. For example, melissa officinalis is better known by it's common name which is lemonbalm.

In order to pass the botany test, one must know all things and they cannot know as a result of studying and learning. They have to know species name, common name of everything.

God alone is the one who has that sort of knowledge.

little.nation 27-04-2019 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rstrats
dybmh,
re: "I am Typing G-d instead of God. Apologies. That is an old custom relating to the prohibition not to say the Lord's name in vain..."

God is nothing but an endless utterance, and endless conversation, an endless discussion, an endless argument.

There is only one time when God comes to a rest: half an hour of silence in heaven (silence of all thought and speech).

Besides that, there is not one moment when the word God is not being uttered in some way, by anyone on the planet.

little.nation 27-04-2019 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
I could only answer this one question. This does not come from
any reading, doctrine or dogma or any intellectual speculation...
but from my many personal, intimate

experiences:
Oh my, is God All-knowing. There is not a dust particle floating in a
beam of sunshine that exists if not for Him.
He is digesting your food at this moment and making every hair on
billions of heads grow, He hears the new born robin's eyes blink...
He feels the burrowing of every root as it searches for water and stretches to
the Sun for life. He is leading every flock of birds around the world at this very moment to their destination
and at the same time is at the depths of every inch of every ocean as every

fish is wiggling it's tail.
There is not a thought in any mind that He is not aware of...Oh my, yes...
this unimaginable One Spiritual Being, by any name or label, is all-knowing and all-feeling...and dwells within everything.

But, don't take my word for it, take no one's word...Be still...and know for yourself. :hug3:

Yup, I know that orchestration. Constant, constant orchestration. All. Of. The. Time.

Morpheus 09-05-2019 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rstrats
dybmh,

"In Whom we live and move and have our being."

As St. Paul quoted from a Greek poet.