Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Judaism (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   If I were to pick a religion... (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=16079)

Scibat 18-05-2011 04:54 AM

If I were to pick a religion...

If I were to pick a religion...to devote myself to, I think it would be Judaism. Of the major religions, it seems the most rational and the most scholarly. Part of me wishes I had been born Jewish or had grown up around some people of Jewish faith and had converted. Sadly I am too old, fat and faithless these days to convert to any religion. :color:

nightowl 18-05-2011 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scibat
If I were to pick a religion...to devote myself to, I think it would be Judaism. Of the major religions, it seems the most rational and the most scholarly. Part of me wishes I had been born Jewish or had grown up around some people of Jewish faith and had converted. Sadly I am too old, fat and faithless these days to convert to any religion. :color:

It is nice to hear that there is someone who see Judaism in the same vein I do.
It holds a special place in my heart :hug3:

nightowl

psychoslice 18-05-2011 05:30 AM

Hi Scibat, why are you drawn to Judaism, how do you think it will make your life better than it is right now ?.

Scibat 18-05-2011 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychoslice
Hi Scibat, why are you drawn to Judaism, how do you think it will make your life better than it is right now ?.

No, nothing like that. I have always been of a scholarly bent and love learning, and that seems to be a large part of the Hebrew faith. Also like I said it seems more rational, less prone to some of the irrational behavior you see other religions engaging in. I am sure there are probably overzealous individuals like in any faith, but Judaism doesn't have a reputation for that sort of thing.

Also it's a culture as much as a faith, and I have never been a part of any real culture and that would be nice as well I think.

psychoslice 18-05-2011 05:40 AM

Quote:

No, nothing like that. I have always been of a scholarly bent and love learning, and that seems to be a large part of the Hebrew faith. Also like I said it seems more rational, less prone to some of the irrational behavior you see other religions engaging in. I am sure there are probably overzealous individuals like in any faith, but Judaism doesn't have a reputation for that sort of thing.

Also it's a culture as much as a faith, and I have never been a part of any real culture and that would be nice as well I think.

That's great if you want to be a part of something but have you ever thought of being you, who you truly are, you are not a religion, also have you ever read the old testament, have you ever seen what the god in this book once did, and also what he's so called people did in the name of this god ?.

Scibat 18-05-2011 05:43 AM

Quote:

That's great if you want to be a part of something but have you ever thought of being you, who you truly are, you are not a religion, also have you ever read the old testament, have you ever seen what the god in this book once did, and also what he's so called people did in the name of this god ?.

Yep. I know the bible pretty well. People have done bad and good in the name of God. People have done bad and good in the name of patriotism too. As for who I truly am, I'm just an overweight computer nerd on disability who is searching for something that he doesn't even know what it is.

But honestly I am much of an agnostic really to dive into something like a religion, especially when I am so on the fence about the existence of God to begin with.

psychoslice 18-05-2011 05:51 AM

Quote:

Yep. I know the bible pretty well. People have done bad and good in the name of God. People have done bad and good in the name of patriotism too. As for who I truly am, I'm just an overweight computer nerd on disability who is searching for something that he doesn't even know what it is.

But honestly I am much of an agnostic really to dive into something like a religion, especially when I am so on the fence about the existence of God to begin with.

Yep just never lose that questioning, never let anyone give you a belief system, it will imprison you. I myself love to read most scriptures of whatever religion, but i will never again let any of them imprison me in their dogma, i'm more of a free Spirit I guess, but whatever you do, all the the best.

Honza 18-05-2011 07:59 AM

Quote:

That's great if you want to be a part of something but have you ever thought of being you, who you truly are...

I think we are always that. Whatever shape or form we are in. There is no "I was not myself way back when" or "I am not myself now". We are always our true self - even if we are in some form of denial.

psychoslice 18-05-2011 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honza
I think we are always that. Whatever shape or form we are in. There is no "I was not myself way back when" or "I am not myself now". We are always our true self - even if we are in some form of denial.

Yes we are always our true SELF, but really, how many realize this, REALLY ?.

Honza 18-05-2011 05:59 PM

Quote:

Yes we are always our true SELF, but really, how many realize this, REALLY ?.

True, not many.