Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Nature (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   Deer Season!!!! (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=125535)

Lucky 1 05-10-2018 03:09 PM

Deer Season!!!!

Hello everyone….Here in my state of Texas we are now less than 30 days out from the opening of whitetail deer season and I’m wondering if anyone else here follows the spiritual path of the hunter….and if so how they prepare for it.

Myself and my 11 year old grandson Nick who is best buddy and partner a-field since he was three years old are now well into preparations….

For Nick this started sooner than I but he’s young and extremely excited about the coming season……this past summer he was already doing upper body strength work, running and getting into shape ....tuning his bow and shooting on our backyard range every day.

But he is also meditating and going within for the calmness , clarity and focus that will be needed to stalk an animal with some of the best eye’s ,ears and nose in the animal kingdom….

So as the hunt draws near and we celebrate our proud genetic heritage as the “thinking hunter” and solemnly contemplate the part our species plays in the circle of life that we exist in….I’m wondering how others go about this process…..

P.s….Mods….I was unsure where to put this….if this is not the right place feel free to move it!

ocean breeze 05-10-2018 06:19 PM

I don't hunt deer. But i'm always prepared to kung fu their a** if they ever try to attack me.

I'm always alert, aware of my surroundings. Always ready for possible deer attacks. You never know when a gang of deers or kangaroos might just wander through a busy city street and try to mount an attack on me of all people.

So my spiritual awareness is not to hunt but to defend against such attacks. So far i've never seen a deer or kangaroo wandering through a city BUT, you never know. Always be ready.

Lucky 1 05-10-2018 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ocean breeze
I don't hunt deer. But i'm always prepared to kung fu their a** if they ever try to attack me.

I'm always alert, aware of my surroundings. Always ready for possible deer attacks. You never know when a gang of deers or kangaroos might just wander through a busy city street and try to mount an attack on me of all people.

So my spiritual awareness is not to hunt but to defend against such attacks. So far i've never seen a deer or kangaroo wandering through a city BUT, you never know. Always be ready.

LOL!

While deer attacks sounds laughable and is in fact fairly rare....it does happen!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8UQ5liKg0g

hallow 05-10-2018 08:37 PM

Good luck! Hopefully one less I will hit with my car

Tobi 07-10-2018 02:25 AM

There are many deer where I live. They are Roe Deer in my area.
I have a fondness for them. Once when I was out with my dog, a couple of them stayed close, not afraid and watched the frisbee as it flew through the air.
One of them even started heading towards the frisbee, as if it was curious or....(even wanted to join the game??)
My dog knew if the deer didn't run, she wouldn't chase them.

I love deer for their intelligence and gracefulness, and would have no wish to hunt them down or kill them.
But I have never been in the position of maybe having to, for survival.
Blessings to the deer. To me they are of grace and wildness.

hallow 07-10-2018 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tobi
There are many deer where I live. They are Roe Deer in my area.
I have a fondness for them. Once when I was out with my dog, a couple of them stayed close, not afraid and watched the frisbee as it flew through the air.
One of them even started heading towards the frisbee, as if it was curious or....(even wanted to join the game??)
My dog knew if the deer didn't run, she wouldn't chase them.

I love deer for their intelligence and gracefulness, and would have no wish to hunt them down or kill them.
But I have never been in the position of maybe having to, for survival.
Blessings to the deer. To me they are of grace and wildness.

that's a funny story! Where I live the white tailed deer are plentiful. Winter's here are harsh and if over populated many often die of starvation during the winter months. There's a sickness many deer can get too if over populated. It's called cwd. Its a parsite that eats there brains. Hunting is just a way to manage the population and keep them healthy. Responsible hunters never waste and are very thankful of the meat it provides for there families.

Nature Grows 07-10-2018 05:17 AM

#GoVegan, stop murdering innocent creatures, eat your own flesh.

hallow 07-10-2018 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nature Grows

Hahaha. Everyone is intitiled to voice there thoughts. I respect yours please respect others.

Lucky 1 07-10-2018 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hallow
Good luck! Hopefully one less I will hit with my car

Thanks.......hopefully it will be not one less but several less!

We hunt to fill our freezers for the year for several households and donations to the state " Hunters for the hungry" program benefiting homeless shelters.

Considering the growing deer populations. .....our particular county allows up to 5 deer per hunter......three does and up to two bucks.

Lucky 1 07-10-2018 03:51 PM

Quote:

Human beings are not designed to be vegans....we are omnivorous and a hunting species by way of 250, 000 years of genetic heritage.

And eating our own flesh??? That sounds like closed circuit nutrition and a losing bet to me!

Lepus 07-10-2018 07:19 PM

Hello

Yesterday I saw a family of deers in a cemetery. It was unusual for deers to be surrounded by tombstones especially when there's no wooded area nearby. And a funeral was also taking place. I believe it was a sign for those in grief.

Lepus

Nature Grows 07-10-2018 08:19 PM

I was joking guys, I though OP made this thread trying to trigger some people as I saw him talking about vegans in a recent thread. I'm not fully vegan, I eat seafood. Raw fruits, veg and fish, sometimes cooked mushrooms fish and potatos, Chia seed, hemp etc... Berries an melons I love too and advacardo I eat a bit of things, If I am detoxing I won't eat any meat at all.

Eat what ever you like.. its your choice. Those animal factory farms are messed up though so i understand why some people want a more humane approach.

I sometimes eat intuitively if I think or feel like I should eat something then I'll eat it. But all processed foods and fast foods are off the table. It's just good to clean.

We are meant to be related to monkeys an gorillas too all animal groups eat similar things so monkeys eat a bit of meat, bugs an stuff then mostly fruit an veg an plants. Overall just eating clean is best. I don't really care to argue about this people can eat as they want.. but yea..

hallow 08-10-2018 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky 1
Thanks.......hopefully it will be not one less but several less!

We hunt to fill our freezers for the year for several households and donations to the state " Hunters for the hungry" program benefiting homeless shelters.

Considering the growing deer populations. .....our particular county allows up to 5 deer per hunter......three does and up to two bucks.

a few weeks ago I hit deer and it ran off into the woods. I am sure it died somewhere. It's sad it had to die a slow death.

hallow 08-10-2018 01:25 AM

Quote:

I was joking guys, I though OP made this thread trying to trigger some people as I saw him talking about vegans in a recent thread. I'm not fully vegan, I eat seafood. Raw fruits, veg and fish, sometimes cooked mushrooms fish and potatos, Chia seed, hemp etc... Berries an melons I love too and advacardo I eat a bit of things, If I am detoxing I won't eat any meat at all.

Eat what ever you like.. its your choice. Those animal factory farms are messed up though so i understand why some people want a more humane approach.

I sometimes eat intuitively if I think or feel like I should eat something then I'll eat it. But all processed foods and fast foods are off the table. It's just good to clean.

We are meant to be related to monkeys an gorillas too all animal groups eat similar things so monkeys eat a bit of meat, bugs an stuff then mostly fruit an veg an plants. Overall just eating clean is best. I don't really care to argue about this people can eat as they want.. but yea..

i agree meat packing plants are not the best places. As far as being humaine hunting is more humaine then meat packing plants. I am not a hunter because it's hard work!! Deer or anyother animal don't just stand there and let you shoot them. When hunting your in there environment and there far from defenseless in there environment. Also when a animal gets sick it doesn't go to the vet. The sickness spreads to others and then the die a slow death... get hit by a car or starve in winter. Hunting is actually very humaine compared to other options.

hallow 08-10-2018 03:51 AM

Hey lucky, you ever hunt bore? I hear there's a lot there.

hallow 08-10-2018 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lepus
Hello

Yesterday I saw a family of deers in a cemetery. It was unusual for deers to be surrounded by tombstones especially when there's no wooded area nearby. And a funeral was also taking place. I believe it was a sign for those in grief.

Lepus

That would have been really cool to see. There's a large cemetery near me I often walk through. I see deer in there a lot.

Lucky 1 08-10-2018 03:24 PM

Quote:

I was joking guys, I though OP made this thread trying to trigger some people as I saw him talking about vegans in a recent thread.

Nature......pushing buttons was not even remotely my intention.....I consider the hunt a sacred thing and representing the circle of life that humans are a part of.....it is something that along with proper stewardship of the wild lands that I take very seriously

Lucky 1 08-10-2018 03:31 PM

Quote:

Hey lucky, you ever hunt bore? I hear there's a lot there.

Oh yeah!!!

Texas is absolutely overrun with wild hogs and we hunt them year round and donate almost all of the meat to homeless shelters and food banks.

My grandson Nick hunts hogs on our place at least once a month....he's quite the hog slayer!!! In fact last year he started keeping track of how many pounds he's donated and from one summer to the next he came close to 3500 lbs of all organic wild meat he's donated to our state "Hunters For The Hungry" program!

I will tell you that those folks are very pleased to see us when we show up as we have literally fed thousands of people from our hunts!

Lucky 1 08-10-2018 03:35 PM

Quote:

i agree meat packing plants are not the best places. As far as being humaine hunting is more humaine then meat packing plants. I am not a hunter because it's hard work!! Deer or anyother animal don't just stand there and let you shoot them. When hunting your in there environment and there far from defenseless in there environment. Also when a animal gets sick it doesn't go to the vet. The sickness spreads to others and then the die a slow death... get hit by a car or starve in winter. Hunting is actually very humaine compared to other options.

On one hand....with out commercial meat production the shear mass of humanity would starve.........on the other hand these places are just horrible to see and exactly why my tribe doesn't eat any animal we didn't hunt ourselves.

hallow 08-10-2018 04:21 PM

Quote:

On one hand....with out commercial meat production the shear mass of humanity would starve.........on the other hand these places are just horrible to see and exactly why my tribe doesn't eat any animal we didn't hunt ourselves.

I know what you mean! If I did hunt, one deer a year wouldn't feed my family of 3 for a year.

linen53 11-10-2018 03:22 PM

Quote:

a few weeks ago I hit deer and it ran off into the woods. I am sure it died somewhere. It's sad it had to die a slow death.

I once saw a car hit a deer going 65 miles per hour. The deer literally somersaulted over the top of the car and went running onto a path away from the road. It broke the car's side mirror and probably dented the roof but he car never stopped. I still wonder if that deer made it or if it had some internal damage and died.

linen53 11-10-2018 03:29 PM

Hi Lucky. Good thread for those of us who hunt.

Hubby harvested two antelope last weekend. We utilize just about everything. Even all scraps are ground and baked and I freeze it for dog food. Dogs are in heaven right now.

And we have nice, fresh, clean antelope to enjoy. Hubby will also be hunting deer. We have White Tail and Mulies (Mule Deer) here in Colorado. And we have elk. But I asked that he not try to hard for an elk because it is to much meat for us. Which wouldn't be a problem because there are always homes that would eagerly take it.

Hubby also hunts bear, big horn sheep and once got a tag for moose. But the moose tag was a once in a lifetime event. He'll be to old before he is eligible again, lol. And he didn't get a tag for bear or sheep this year. I'd be happy with a deer later this year. He has a private license which means private land. The season is open for private late until January.

Happy hunting everyone.

Lucky 1 11-10-2018 04:36 PM

I've been moose hunting exactly once....got a youngish bull....Damn they are big!!!!
I will tell you that when you drop the hammer on a big moose...whatever fun you might have been having is over.....and the work starts!

linen53 11-10-2018 04:54 PM

Yep. A lot of work which I did not participate in since hubby's son and son in law were contributing (they helped scout, advise and cut up and share). We were told it's hard to follow natural tissue lines when cutting one up because the muscles go every which way. I didn't care for moose. But I fixed it for him until his share of it was used up.

They just introduced moose back into Colorado in the late 70's. So there aren't many around. My hubby's was a youngish moose as well. He was told there was giant one roaming the area but he didn't want to take a chance of not harvesting a moose so he got the younger one.

blackraven 13-10-2018 07:08 PM

Quote:

Hello everyone….Here in my state of Texas we are now less than 30 days out from the opening of whitetail deer season and I’m wondering if anyone else here follows the spiritual path of the hunter….and if so how they prepare for it.

Myself and my 11 year old grandson Nick who is best buddy and partner a-field since he was three years old are now well into preparations….

For Nick this started sooner than I but he’s young and extremely excited about the coming season……this past summer he was already doing upper body strength work, running and getting into shape ....tuning his bow and shooting on our backyard range every day.

But he is also meditating and going within for the calmness , clarity and focus that will be needed to stalk an animal with some of the best eye’s ,ears and nose in the animal kingdom….

So as the hunt draws near and we celebrate our proud genetic heritage as the “thinking hunter” and solemnly contemplate the part our species plays in the circle of life that we exist in….I’m wondering how others go about this process…..

P.s….Mods….I was unsure where to put this….if this is not the right place feel free to move it!

Lucky 1 - I would like to know the answer to that myself. I live in an area that backs up to the woods. We have white tail deer in our yard every day. I love those critters as much as I love the birds that eat the bird seed and drink from the bird bath. I want to understand deer hunting because I don't. Actually, the only thing I do understand is there is an over population of deer and many end up causing car accidents or starving over winter. I have witnessed this because I see the deer surround the house in the winter searching for any morsel of food or a plant they can eat. It's sad to see how thin they get in the winter.

But even so, I think it's justifiable if someone hunts if they are going to process the meat to eat. But shooting deer just for the sport of it to get a head with horns for a mantle, that I don't understand.

I watched the movie "Powder" once about a young man with supernatural powers that had the ability to feel what other's feel. He approached a deer that had been shot and he touched the deer as it lie there in pain, suffering and dying. It was an eye-opening moment for me.

Lepus 13-10-2018 09:22 PM

Hello

I recall one time when we were heading back to the parking lot from the local park my sister and I noticed someone coming out from their home with a bag of food on her hands. We watched her cross the street and into the trail. We wondered what she was going to do with the bag until we spotted a family of white-tailed deers coming out of the wooded area. The deers quickly went back into the woods as she approached them. She left a pile of corn or nuts on the ground where the deers were standing and headed back home. We stood there watching until the deers came out from the wooded trees and started eating. There were a total of three white-tailed deers: one male and two females. It was a great moment watching these wild animals. I'm sure the woman made a habit of feeding these white-tailed deers.

Speaking of deer season I've read somewhere in the news of wild deers carrying a disease called Bovine Tuberculosis in Michigan. It's contagious and can be spread to humans from what I've read. I'm not sure if any other states have the same issue.

Lepus

hallow 14-10-2018 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackraven
Lucky 1 - I would like to know the answer to that myself. I live in an area that backs up to the woods. We have white tail deer in our yard every day. I love those critters as much as I love the birds that eat the bird seed and drink from the bird bath. I want to understand deer hunting because I don't. Actually, the only thing I do understand is there is an over population of deer and many end up causing car accidents or starving over winter. I have witnessed this because I see the deer surround the house in the winter searching for any morsel of food or a plant they can eat. It's sad to see how thin they get in the winter.

But even so, I think it's justifiable if someone hunts if they are going to process the meat to eat. But shooting deer just for the sport of it to get a head with horns for a mantle, that I don't understand.

I watched the movie "Powder" once about a young man with supernatural powers that had the ability to feel what other's feel. He approached a deer that had been shot and he touched the deer as it lie there in pain, suffering and dying. It was an eye-opening moment for me.

personally I do not believe in sport hunting. It's a waste of a life. I am sure an animal does hurt for a short time just as a human would. But when it comes to my time to go I would want it as quickly as possible. In hospitals when people are sick, aged, or whatever. There at times can die a slow death. Luckily we have morphine. Lol. Wild animals don't have that either. A lot of people think wild animals are defenseless. There not! There far from dumb as well. Animals like a moose, elk, wild pigs can easily kill a human. A deer can severely hurt a human. There hearing, and sense of smell witch is a lot better than humans are there best lines of defense because there naturally afraid of humans. We'll until a wild animal see a human as a food source. When a animal starts seeing people as a food source most of animals natural defenses go away and they can become dangerous and or a easy target. I hear all the about animal attacks in wildlife parks. The main cause is people feeding them. Just because your a vegetarian or feed the animals doesn't mean a buffalo or bear would try an attack you if you get in there way or you won't feed them.

hallow 14-10-2018 03:15 AM

This thread really made think about two nature built top notch land predators. The mountain lion, if you see one it's because it let you see it and it's been following and watching you long before you noticed. And the owl, a mostly night time hunter and the only bird that has a completely flight. One time at maybe 2 am I witnessed a owl make a rabbit a meal. Being 2am it was nothing but quiet out. All of a sudden about 10' from where I was standing I Hurd a ear spine chilling squeal along with a thump on the ground. Shortly after I saw the owl fly off with the rabbit. It all happened so fast I didn't know what happened till I saw the owl fly off. I didn't even see the rabbit. The owl got a good meal and my garden lived to see one more day so I could eat some fresh veggies.

Lucky 1 15-10-2018 04:55 PM

Quote:

personally I do not believe in sport hunting. It's a waste of a life. .

Hallow.....we are subsistence hunters.....While I see commercial meat production and large scale commercial farming as a necessary evil to feed the shear mass of humanity...its a pretty loathsome thing to witness.

There is also the issue of additives, hormones and chemicals and such used in those industries.

For that reason....myself and the circle I run in don't eat commercially raised animals.....in fact I can't remember the last time we bought any commercial meat at the store.

So we all hunt to fill our freezers...for a number of families......and it is all natural and beyond being organic...its "wild meat"!

I am also lucky enough to live on the Gulf Of Mexico and in a tropical climate....we fish a lot and eat a lot of fish....frankly way more fish than meat.

Opal_Moon 15-10-2018 09:03 PM

Isn't hunting with a bow cruel? Can't imagine that's a quick death :(

Opal_Moon 15-10-2018 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by linen53
Hi Lucky.
Hubby also hunts bear, big horn sheep and once got a tag for moose. But the moose tag was a once in a lifetime event. He'll be to old before he is eligible again, lol. And he didn't get a tag for bear or sheep this year. I'd be happy with a deer later this year. He has a private license which means private land. The season is open for private late until January.

Hunting bear? Is that to eat or just for sport? I'm from the UK so don't know alot about hunting. Trophy hunting disgusts me.

Lucky 1 15-10-2018 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Opal_Moon
Isn't hunting with a bow cruel? Can't imagine that's a quick death :(

A heavy draw weight hunting bow using proper hunting arrows equipt with modern razor broad-heads will drop an animal just as fast as a high powered rifle will.......just without all the noise and muzzle blast.

This is my favorite hunting broadhead

http://www.magnusbroadheads.com/stin...1-1-16-3-pack/

Just as with a rifle...proper shot placement with a bow is everything.....

Lucky 1 15-10-2018 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Opal_Moon
Hunting bear? Is that to eat or just for sport? I'm from the UK so don't know a lot about hunting. Trophy hunting disgusts me.

Many people like to eat bear....I personally do not... but that's just me.

There is also the issue that bear must be thoroughly cooked as many bears carry trichinosis ....which doesn't bother the bear in the least.... but makes humans sick as hell!

Rah nam 15-10-2018 09:55 PM

Quote:

Human beings are not designed to be vegans....we are omnivorous and a hunting species by way of 250, 000 years of genetic heritage.

I don't particularly care if you hunt dears or anything else. It's between you and the animal. But to base it on a false premises will be your loss and those you try to indoctrinate into.
If you care, have a look at the article that deals with Eqigenic Memories.

https://www.collective-evolution.com...earch-reveals/

Lepus 15-10-2018 10:12 PM

Hello

Have you guys heard about the recent news with Blake Fischer? He is under fire for posting images of himself and his wife displaying dead exotic animals in Africa. People are asking for his resignation as a commissioner. Other hunters don't approve of his actions further stating Fischer is making hunters look bad.

Lepus

Lucky 1 15-10-2018 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rah nam
I don't particularly care if you hunt dears or anything else. It's between you and the animal. But to base it on a false premises will be your loss and those you try to indoctrinate into.

What false premise are you talking about???

Opal_Moon 15-10-2018 10:36 PM

Quote:

A heavy draw weight hunting bow using proper hunting arrows equipt with modern razor broad-heads will drop an animal just as fast as a high powered rifle will.......just without all the noise and muzzle blast.

This is my favorite hunting broadhead

http://www.magnusbroadheads.com/stin...1-1-16-3-pack/

Just as with a rifle...proper shot placement with a bow is everything.....

Seems like there's alot less room for error with a bow & arrow? Unless one was very skilled at it. It pains me to think of an animal suffering.

Opal_Moon 15-10-2018 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rah nam

This is quite fascinating.

Explorer21 18-10-2018 07:19 AM

Quote:

And eating our own flesh??? That sounds like closed circuit nutrition and a losing bet to me!

Throughout history, humanity often hunted animals out of necessity, for the basic purpose of survival. Many hunting peoples, especially when they were indigenous, deliberately maintained a balance in their hunting activities and always had a deep respect for the animals they killed for food. Expressing gratitude to the hunted was fundamental to their belief system.
Therefore, hunting for food and survival is well and good. But hunting for SPORT is in a totally different category, because it is completely unnecessary and very CRUEL. Modern humanity is so well fed by the consumption of a variety of animals, so that hunting is no longer a necessity. Why do modern humans feel the need to torture animals for no good reason? Is it to satisfy an insatiable lust to inflict cruelty on helpless creatures? If they treat animals like that, then how do they treat their fellow human beings? There is no humane excuse for killing for sport.

Lucky 1 18-10-2018 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Explorer21
Throughout history, humanity often hunted animals out of necessity, for the basic purpose of survival. Many hunting peoples, especially when they were indigenous, deliberately maintained a balance in their hunting activities and always had a deep respect for the animals they killed for food. Expressing gratitude to the hunted was fundamental to their belief system.
Therefore, hunting for food and survival is well and good. But hunting for SPORT is in a totally different category, because it is completely unnecessary and very CRUEL. Modern humanity is so well fed by the consumption of a variety of animals, so that hunting is no longer a necessity. Why do modern humans feel the need to torture animals for no good reason? Is it to satisfy an insatiable lust to inflict cruelty on helpless creatures? If they treat animals like that, then how do they treat their fellow human beings? There is no humane excuse for killing for sport.

Based on what you say here....you clearly have no understanding of the spiritual path of the hunter.....not sure why you're even here???

But I'll quote an explanation I wrote in another thread to try an shed some light on it for you.

"Why we still hunt
Because it puts you in touch with nature and connects you to the land.......when you eat what you grow and kill yourself...you truly know and appreciate what you have to eat in a deeply profound and spiritual way....

We eat the deer and animals......when we die our bodies decay and fertilize the soil...that grows the grass... that the deer and animals eat....to grow your food and to hunt and feed your family like that is truly the natural and spiritual way...it is the circle of life and human beings are a part of that circle of life.

Frankly....the path of the hunter is a spiritual path and a connection to nature that a non-hunter can never know.....as far as I'm concerned vegans are just pretenders in this regard when it comes to spirituality.

Only the hunter who has walked the woods.....and heard the howl of the wolf across the mountains...and felt the drive and passion of the hunt....and the hunt is literally the circle of life!!!....can love the deer and animals and nature in the most profound and spiritual way and why today's sportsman are the biggest and most vocal proponents of saving the environment and the wild places from human encroachment and are also the ones putting there money where there mouth is by funding government programs that save these animals and wild places for future generations...

The hunt is the circle of life......it is the mystical flight of the sacred arrow!!!!"