Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Science & Spirituality (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Labels... I'm starting to hate them... (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=140193)

Angnix 16-05-2021 01:37 AM

Labels... I'm starting to hate them...

I'm different than others and extremely sensitive tand overwhelmed by emotion, but intellegent too...

So... Many... Labels... My extreme passion for things and social awquardness are labeled autism, mood problems bipolar... Oddly mental health professionals who are spiritual have labeled me "Empath" too, and I've heard either indigo child or starseed applied to me too...

Anyway I take meds.... Which works for me because without them I'm in a state of mind so complex that I can't function... I can't sleep, thoughts won't stop, etc...

But yes modern meds help, and maybe some labels help, but it doesn't help myself wanting to know absolute truth and realizing it's not in religion, it doesn't help me from being emotionally overwhelmed by either mine or someone else's emotions until I meltdown...
It doesn't help the fact I'm a people pleaser and I'm so crippled when people disagree with me on any subject...

I have had a recent interview to work as a customer service person for the bird (my passion) department of an ivy league school... I mean someone labeled "gifted" would enjoy that place... But I keep agonizing over it because if I'm offered the job certain people will try to talk me out of it, etc...

Anyway I'm starting to hate labels, because before I had them people saw me as strange but smart... Now that certain others no, they just have pre-conceived notions about me based on them ...

In the meantime need suggestions on how to find Intellectual and Spiritual peace amoung termoil...

Miss Hepburn 16-05-2021 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angnix
... I'm so crippled when people disagree with me on any subject...

...In the meantime need suggestions on how to find Intellectual and Spiritual peace among turmoil...

OK, start with this one thing.
And like all habits - it takes practice to break one you don't like.

Being crippled when people disagree with you is a terrible thing - let's say, it's very unpleasant!
So you'd have to develop a way to 'not care'.
Find something that works for you and practice it. Ha...one way could be the second you recognize
the feeling of tension when they disagree with you (even if you're right) is
1. Pause and focus on breathing easily.
2. imagine they aren't so smart...and think "Oh well." Maybe feel sorry for them if that helps...better than being crippled.
3. Feel the feeling of confidence that you understand something they don't
4. Feel the feeling of gratitude that you have been given the ability to understand something they don't.
5. Or do none of the above and just practice smiling, shrugging and walking away.
6. Saying something... dream up a line. "Well, gotta go, see ya later."
"Well, alright. Makes no difference, guys. Take care."

The main thing is getting out of there, but with a smile.

1 smile can change the entire situation that was previously awkward and crippling.

If you act 'easy-going', people around you will respond to that .
But, it is a discipline at first, like being an actor...till you see how it works and it becomes easier.
Be aware of your facial expression...be at ease....
fake it till you make it.

That's my input, anyway.. See of you wanna try it.
(See, what I just did?
I just made the entire post non-chalant...if you wanna try, ok...if not, that's fine, too ....take on that attitude.)

Greenslade 23-05-2021 09:10 AM

Quote:

In the meantime need suggestions on how to find Intellectual and Spiritual peace amoung termoil...

"GO PLACIDLY amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself."
Desiderata

Be at peace with yourself first and foremost and you'll react less to the labels, in time you'll respond with grace and dignity. Find the reasons you don't like the labels, work out what rubs you up the wrong way and deal with that first. Remember that it's your choice to respond, and how you respond.

A smile and a nod works wonders.

Native spirit 23-05-2021 09:50 AM

You have had good advice from both Miss hepburn and Greenslade, dont be so hard on yourself, a lot of people are like yourself you are not alone.
But we live in a society where Labels are put on everything.

Namaste

Sat11 01-06-2021 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
1. Pause and focus on breathing easily.
2. imagine they aren't so smart...and think "Oh well." Maybe feel sorry for them if that helps...better than being crippled.
3. Feel the feeling of confidence that you understand something they don't
4. Feel the feeling of gratitude that you have been given the ability to understand something they don't.
5. Or do none of the above and just practice smiling, shrugging and walking away......

I liked that :smile:

Sat11 01-06-2021 11:22 PM

Quote:

I'm different than others and extremely sensitive tand overwhelmed by emotion, but intellegent too...
So... Many... Labels... My extreme passion for things and social awquardness are labeled autism, mood problems bipolar... Oddly mental health professionals who are spiritual have labeled me "Empath" too, and I've heard either indigo child or starseed applied to me too...
Anyway I take meds.... Which works for me because without them I'm in a state of mind so complex that I can't function... I can't sleep, thoughts won't stop, etc...

I think that all empaths go through difficult times. Sometimes the emotions and energies of others can be overwhelming and we can sometimes confuse them for our own.

I think that Miss Hepburns advice was great. Adopting an I dont give a toss attitude and not taking things personally is key I think. A wise soul once told me that they don't care about whos around them, what others think of them, they dont care about other peoples negativities, energies or if they have haters. They have a life to live and they live it. That person is the strongest person I know and has overcome and acheived so much in their life, going from having nothing, no friends, no job etc. To marrying the love of their life, having their own business and buying a million dollar house, while being a humble, down to earth, nice person. They just didnt care what others thought of them, although plenty of people had bad things to say about them. Thats what I aspire to be like. I'm sure you're a lovely person and you shouldn't care about labels. noone has the right to judge you or tell you who you are. Only you know yourself and your life.

ayar415 02-06-2021 01:46 AM

Life is tough. I don't understand why it has to be so tough. And we are so brittle.

We need to hang together in a safe place.

GlitterRose 05-06-2021 05:02 PM

I think it happens because professionals in various fields have to justify the services they provide.

They have to prove that folks are needing the services, counseling, meds, etc., to insurance companies and/or government agencies/taxpayers...whoever is footing the bill. They have to be able to point to a diagnosis that warrants the treatment.

Unfortunately, that results in labels being slapped on people that then follow them wherever they go.

HITESH SHAH 06-06-2021 03:24 PM

labels

Quote:

Labels by itself is not bad. That describes set of people with certain attributes , patterns and characteristics . And it indeed helps a considerate passionate person give special treatment to others which is most comforting .

Nevertheless nowadays we rarely find such considerate/passionate people . Instead we find many with little info about the label or rather with some some prejudiced / hateful notions .And that really is painful .

But getting turned off with wrong people is really no solution. In fact its an opportunity for us to prove our mettle and give them an opportunity to re-think on their pre-conceived notions . This does not work with antagonistic attitude and it can best be be done with success in our actions and convictions.

Native spirit 06-06-2021 09:13 PM

I would agree with Glitter Rose,everything has to be justified targets have to be met,
In a hospital situation the person is a Patient,that is one label.

In a counselling situation you are a Client another Label.

and so on.

Namaste