Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Forum Help (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Server space on SF (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=140067)

Legrand 01-05-2021 03:44 PM

Server space on SF

Hello,

I find it sad that the moderators and administrators of this Forum need to watch the number of lines
members quote because of server space.

Is there not a way to make this server space bigger?
I am willing to make a donation that would cover a part of such an investment.
And most probably other members are willing to do so also.

Regards

pixiedust 01-05-2021 05:41 PM

I am wondering if they can also eliminate threads which are full of full size photos over the years. Thanks Legrand.

Legrand 01-05-2021 07:20 PM

Hello Pixiedust,

I do not believe that the old post with pictures take much place, it is only a link with a few a few letters.

But maybe there is a way to archive on another server the threads that have not been active for a certain number years if finding more server space is not an option.

Simple thoughts.

Regards

bobjob 01-05-2021 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legrand
I find it sad that the moderators and administrators of this Forum need to watch the number of lines
members quote because of server space.
Is there not a way to make this server space bigger?

Another way to address a shortage of server storage space would be to purge old material. The alleged impending closure of SF a short while ago revealed there is a 'Donate' button on this website so any donation would help running costs.

To 'ring fence' a donation, though, would need contact with whomever is currently paying the bills to ask if it would be possible and how much would be needed if storage space is indeed a problem and more is needed.
Lynn or Native spirit will know who you should contact.

BigJohn 01-05-2021 07:42 PM

I wonder if a donation drive would help.

Better yet, I just made another donation.

bobjob 01-05-2021 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJohn
I wonder if a donation drive would help.

Better yet, I just made another donation.

Donations will naturally be welcome but would likely go into a pot for general running costs unless they can be targeted specifically to increase server capacity.

A donation drive for that might work if additional capacity is needed.

Miss Hepburn 01-05-2021 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pixiedust
...threads which are full of full size photos over the years.

Smart.
I have deleted SO many huge photos and charts from 6 months ago...and back (2016!)...the ones that take the
whole screen and wreck the entire page.

You probably know the kind.
Only a few members have enormous screens like over 25" ...so they don't know what we mean.
One person is no longer here that did it a lot with a huge screen...and was unaware of the issue.

Native spirit 01-05-2021 08:15 PM

Some of the quotes on the posts were so long and it had to be cut short.
as only two links per post are allowed
it had to be bought in line with that.

Namaste

bobjob 01-05-2021 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
Smart.
I have deleted SO many huge photos and charts from 6 months ago...and back (2016!)...the ones that take the
You probably know the kind.
Only a few members have enormous screens like over 25" ...so they don't know what we mean.
One person is no longer here that did it a lot with a huge screen...and was unaware of the issue.

The website software can be tailored to allow only images with a small file size. Now you've purged large ones from the system there ought to be less demand on server storage space.

pixiedust 01-05-2021 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
Smart.

Thanks for your work for us, Miss Hepburn! :hug2: Those full size photos can take up a lot of space. I think that there are some threads which cater to that only.