Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Meditation (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What is meditation for? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136996)

Mawal 04-09-2020 08:42 AM

What is meditation for?

Hi!

Can meditation be said of being "useful" for just two categories?:
1) Wellbeing/relaxation
2) Enlightenment

Of course the two may coincide, but you know how I mean.

lomax 04-09-2020 10:59 AM

From what i know,the purpose of meditation is to shift your mind,so you can get closer to your subconsious.From that point,several things can be donne.

Mawal 04-09-2020 11:28 AM

Ok lomax, thanks!
I have the consciousness as the possibility for ANYthing to occur. That implies the subconscious to be played upon the actual "trivial" consciousness (but this is performed quite unconsciously). Anyway, there is a something in each person, who meditate, which drives him/her to do the actual meditation. That aim is what brings meditation to its "chooseness", and that would turn out to be what we can call an expectation for being enlightened or just to be relaxed.

Gem 04-09-2020 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mawal
Hi!

Can meditation be said of being "useful" for just two categories?:
1) Wellbeing/relaxation
2) Enlightenment

Of course the two may coincide, but you know how I mean.

Buddha said it is for the purification of beings, the overcoming of lamentation and sorrow, for waking the path of truth, and the attainment of Nirvana.

Mawal 04-09-2020 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gem
Buddha said it is for the purification of beings, the overcoming of lamentation and sorrow, for waking the path of truth, and the attainment of Nirvana.

That is number 2 then. The mindset is tuned for enlightenment, in the end anyway.

lomax 04-09-2020 11:55 AM

Depends on what you want and who you are.Personaly i'm not interested to attain nirvana or bliss.I care more about the earthly stuff.
Maybe the right question would be why to meditate?

Mawal 04-09-2020 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lomax
Depends on what you want and who you are.Personaly i'm not interested to attain nirvana or bliss.I care more about the earthly stuff.

Yes exactly!
There is the the distinction: earthly/"nirvana". Bliss might fit into both in a way.

lomax 04-09-2020 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mawal
Yes exactly!
There is the the distinction: earthly/"nirvana". Bliss might fit into both in a way.

I see bliss as an emotional state,that sooner or later will fade away(as all emotions do).
Of course i welcome it (who doesn't like to feel good),but i know that at the very end,i desire the same thing as everyone else.''Freedom''.
And i know that no amount of bliss can give that to me.

Mawal 04-09-2020 12:38 PM

Quote:

No it can't, except for the impersonal bliss which can't be expressed and therefore doesn't matter to the individual self.

FallingLeaves 04-09-2020 12:40 PM

Quote:

I see bliss as an emotional state,that sooner or later will fade away(as all emotions do).
Of course i welcome it (who doesn't like to feel good),but i know that at the very end,i desire the same thing as everyone else.''Freedom''.

yeah and I think that putting all efforts into trying to attain one thing or another (including 'bliss') is just another jail cell...